Author Topic: Glenn Miller's plane possibly found.  (Read 593 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Glenn Miller's plane possibly found.
« on: January 15, 2019, 12:22:22 AM »
I hadn't heard of this before until I saw this article recently. Looks like they might of found the place he was flying when he disappeared. http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/glenn-miller’s-airplane-possibly-found-decades-after-famed-bandleader-vanished-during-wwii/ar-BBSffU9?ocid=ientp Apparently some fisherman in a trawler hooked a wrecked plane back in '87 in the English Channel. Pretty interesting and looks like it should be easy to figure out if it was his plane or not once they re-locate it.

Shortly after, I came upon this article from 2017 about a guy who kept a diary of the planes he say flying overheard during WW2 who's journal was recently discovered that also mentions seeing the plane in an area it was previously not thought to have gone. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/894773/world-war-two-glenn-miller-death-book
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 07:26:14 PM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Glenn Miller's plane possibly found.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 03:32:06 AM »
Why does the first link take me to an article about Selena Gomez and some "heartfelt" Instagram message?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 08:19:54 AM »
Thanks, Mike.

Interesting read -- I hope the follow-up does find the wreckage.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 10:04:38 AM »
There was a theory based on some reports, that Miller's plane may have been hit and downed by unused bombs jettisoned from bombers returning from Europe.  This was touched upon in the cited article.

The University of Colorado (C.U.) Boulder campus has a "Glenn Miller Ballroom" in the UMC (University Memorial Center).

https://www.colorado.edu/umc/about/ballroom

It's been more than thirty years since I've been in the ballroom, but it contains a lot of memorabilia from Glenn Miller, as well as artifacts from the battleship USS Colorado (BB-45) including the ship's bell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Colorado_(BB-45)

I wanted this post to be more interesting and informative, so I went to a search engine to refresh my old memories, but most hits on the "Glenn Miller Ballroom" resulted in Access Denied flags.

I don't quite understand that since C.U. actively seeks organizations to have their affairs and parties in the ballroom.

I went ahead and posted this "as is" anyhow, more for information for those in or visiting Boulder than for general interest relating to Glenn Miller.

Terry, 230RN

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 07:28:23 PM »
Why does the first link take me to an article about Selena Gomez and some "heartfelt" Instagram message?

Looks like when it auto-created the hyperlink it cut off after the apostrophe in "Miller's". Fixed it. :)
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 11:31:22 PM »

because you're keeping your priorities straight?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."