Author Topic: are we discussing the Jayme Closs kidnapping?  (Read 1014 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
are we discussing the Jayme Closs kidnapping?
« on: January 15, 2019, 12:38:22 AM »
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/14/685212571/wisconsin-man-confesses-to-abducting-jayme-closs-and-killing-her-parents

So dirtbagloserâ„¢ saw the little girl getting on a schoolbus and became obsessed.
He used a shotgun to defeat the front door lock, shot dad (d.o.a   :'(   )
mom and 13yr old Jayme hide in bathroom tub, he kills mom  :'( :'(  and drags girl into the trunk of his car.
 I had a feeling when it was reported at first it was an obsessed stalker.
What i wondered about was if dad had a plan to fight back against a home invasion and had a dog.
Dog apparently alerted prior to the first shot at the front door lock ( used a slug I guess, you can find lock busters on line afaik )
So dad was near the front door about to see what the dog was barking about, but the dog was only good as an alarm, a lttle foofoo dog it was no match for deranged  dirtbagloserâ„¢.
Neighbors heard the shots, were not alarmed due to rural area, people will shoot at varmints at night.

dirtbagloserâ„¢ never gave any indication ( at least no one has said so yet ) that he was this deranged.

So, what can we learn from this? Do we improve our locks?
Carry indoors?
have foofoo dogs for our daughters and Cane Corso's for the house?

I'm fascinated by this stuff.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: are we discussing the Jayme Closs kidnapping?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 01:17:06 AM »
It's unfortunate that Wisconsin doesn't have the death penalty.  I'm generally against the DP, but this is a case that definitely warrants it.  (actually, it warrants a good old-fashioned lynching.)  DBL will probably be found incompetent to stand trial and instead will be committed to mental asylum.  Then possibly released when some judge says he's rehabilitated.

So, what can we learn from this? Do we improve our locks?
Carry indoors?
have foofoo dogs for our daughters and Cane Corso's for the house?

I'm not sure we can learn anything from it.  You can't live your life ready for every possible-but-improbable scenario; you can try, but you'll burn out in less than a month.
"It's good, though..."

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 01:56:55 AM »
I had a Cane Corso, he was perfect for kids. Gentle as a lamb when interacting with them; but turned into a force of nature when he thought one of his people needed protecting. He once blew through a screen door and nearly decapitated a coyote that was prowling around the yard when my at the time, 6 year old nephew was playing on his swing set.

Current dog is less trustworthy because he still doesn't realize that he can't play with everybody the same way, and is likely to knock a little kid down. Regardless of how they handle it, as far as I'm concerned a dog's job is to keep someone occupied until I get my hands on some hardware. Whether it be by jumping up and trying to kiss them, or dragging them around the house by their leg doesn't matter much to be.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 02:33:48 AM »
Tragic OP case.  See my signature line.

Handguns within reach of both doors, but I don't carry around the house.  On the other hand, I don't even take out the trash without a gun in my robe.

Paranoia is a survival trait.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:04:22 AM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 03:26:31 AM »
Tragic OP case.  See my signature line.

Handguns within reach of both doors, but I don't carry around the house.  On the other hand, I don't even take out the trash without a gun in my robe.

Paranoia is a survival trait.

Terry, 230RN

Basically this. Either carry at all times, or keep a gun or guns stashed where they can be quickly and easily retrieved when things go bump in the night. My stash and carry guns at the moment are all handguns, but I probably should add a shotgun somewhere near the entrance doors.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 08:22:34 AM »
I'm not sure we can learn anything from it.  You can't live your life ready for every possible-but-improbable scenario; you can try, but you'll burn out in less than a month.

I agree. The dad didn't have a chance. He thought it was a cop or something and was peering out the window when shot in the head. The rest of the family could have (maybe) fought back if armed but he was just trying to assess the situation when he was killed.

Quote from: criminal complaint
The defendant stated he believed James had a flashlight and was shining it outside. The
defendant stated he hollered for James to get on the ground, but James kept shining the
flashlight and looking outside. The defendant stated he then approached the front steps and
opened the glass storm door. The defendant stated he then pounded on the wooden entry
door. The defendant stated he saw James looking outside through the small glass (decorative
glass with wrought iron design in the center of the wooden entry door) window. The defendant
stated James made some comment like, show me your badge, and assumed James thought
he was the police. The defendant stated he then raised the shotgun and purposely aimed at
James' head and pulled the trigger.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 08:40:06 AM »
Local talk radio was reading the transcripts of the confession yesterday. I was cringing really hard when the killer talked about breaking down the bathroom door- it was a death trap to those inside who had no means of defense.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:19:36 AM »
I've been working in the criminal justice system for almost 25 years, in one role or another, and I can tell you one thing.  Every time I think I've heard it all, I'll come to work and find some new way that evil has reared its head and hurt someone.  As much as we try to be prepared for anything and everything, it's just not possible.  Short of turning our homes into bunkers, never leaving, and living in full kit 24/7, there will come a time when we let our guard down. 

Prayers for this little girl.  Hope she can find some semblance of peace after all of this.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 10:09:02 AM »
Apparently no charges, at least yet, regarding any sort of sexual assault or the like.  Given that the accused perpetrator picked the victim based on her looks, I would have thought that was his goal.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 10:15:49 AM »
Local talk radio was reading the transcripts of the confession yesterday. I was cringing really hard when the killer talked about breaking down the bathroom door- it was a death trap to those inside who had no means of defense.
The first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun.  You don't always get to choose when or where the gunfight occurs and if you are not armed, you still may get shot.  

I can't think of anything else to say.  Evil things happen sometimes and we need to be prepared for it.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 11:04:18 AM »
Apparently no charges, at least yet, regarding any sort of sexual assault or the like.  Given that the accused perpetrator picked the victim based on her looks, I would have thought that was his goal.

The local thinking is that they have him dead to rights on so much stuff already, that they are trying to be sensitive to the victim by leaving sexual assault charges off the table.

Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 02:28:44 PM »
About the only thing I can think that may have helped this situation (as reported) would have been bright floodlights for the yard. Puny flashlight wouldn't have obscured the slimeball with two or three floodlights illuminating him.

Even having a gun wouldn't have helped the father if he was standing at the door challenging the killer.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 02:35:55 PM »

Even having a gun wouldn't have helped the father if he was standing at the door challenging the killer.

The father (R.I.P.) did his fatherly duties, which at times is just to be a speedbump to buy time for his family. Unfortunately, circumstances were stacked agaisnt him for becoming much of a speedbump.

Barack Obama

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 09:26:42 PM »
One can't be prepared for everything.  I carry outside the house.  I have a couple handguns handy in the house.  But cops carry guns too, and they get killed almost on a daily basis nowadays.  I have a sig line I use sometimes.  "Sometimes fight, sometimes run, sometimes do nothing."
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 12:01:20 AM »
The local thinking is that they have him dead to rights on so much stuff already, that they are trying to be sensitive to the victim by leaving sexual assault charges off the table.

that was my thinking too, I wonder if it is not better to throw everything including embarrassing stuff in order to facilitate max time, plus the added bonus of unpopularity with other inmates.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 10:22:44 AM »
that was my thinking too, I wonder if it is not better to throw everything including embarrassing stuff in order to facilitate max time, plus the added bonus of unpopularity with other inmates.

As it is, unless the police screwed up something badly in the investigation, he's never going to see the outside of a cage again.
I don't think he will be too popular anyway. There are a lot of men in prison who have daughters.

Barack Obama

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 12:04:43 PM »
The only thing I can think of that may have helped would be a video camera at the front door.

Yelling show me you badge over an intercom is much safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JN01

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 05:00:11 PM »
I carry all the time, unless in an area prohibited by law, or in the shower.  No gun is quicker to get to than the one on your person.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 05:48:27 PM »
I carry all the time, unless in an area prohibited by law, or in the shower.  No gun is quicker to get to than the one on your person.
I do also or have one nearby.  The window on my front door is at the top.  I have to go up on my toes to see.  I can see where someone who was ready could shoot me through the door if they saw me.  When someone is prepared to shoot you without hesitation, it is not something easy to prepare for. 

I guess another item would be to armor your door lock and hinge areas or going for a one of the iron doors.  Make it harder to knock the door down or shoot it open. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 06:19:46 PM »
When I heard this story, the first thing I thought was "Daddy bought his family some precious seconds of time - and it's a damn shame the mother was unarmed."  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 10:27:32 PM »

Armed home invasion, two murders and at least a kidnapping charge, among some others I may be missing.  Yeah, you can drop any sex charges and spare the victim from having to testify.

And the Dad, even if had the gun in hand when he answered the door, didn't really have a chance or be able to serve as much as a speedbump.   The perp had the complete element of surprise on his side.  Which is why it's lucky she escaped.  I remember reading that most murders (and abductions) are done by people known to the victim(s).  Something like 90+% of the time.  It's the "true stranger" abductions that are so hard, because, unless the perp has a record, it could literally be anyone.  As it was in this case.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.