Author Topic: Any good chicken leg recipes?  (Read 5756 times)

brimic

• friends
Any good chicken leg recipes?
« on: January 15, 2019, 08:50:41 AM »
My wife and I are trying to cut way back on our food expenditures, so we are trying recipes using less expensive alternatives to things.
Chicken legs = $0.80/lb
I tried this this weekend:  https://www.thespruceeats.com/sticky-crockpot-chicken-drumsticks-recipe-479528

Not good. Spices were overwhelming and not balanced. The chicken on the inside with no spices on it tasted good though.

Any suggestions in this area? I generally want to cook them skinless if possible.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Any good chicken leg recipes?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 10:29:11 AM »
I like to roast drumsticks, then coat them in a wing sauce of choice. I call them T-Rex wings.

Or pressure cook them and use the meat and stock to make chicken and noodles.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 11:05:41 AM »
For me roasting is always the way to go with drumsticks, be it chicken or turkey.

I prefer the slow roasted approach. I hate with a passion the texture/taste of quick barely cooked dark meat chicken that seems to be the current trend. I much prefer the slower roasted flavor like you'll find in a decent rotisserie chicken and such.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 12:31:51 PM »
Some type of baked, crusted chicken recipe. Remember Shake 'N Bake (the food, not the movie quote)? A lot of recipes out there for that. SWMBO makes a damn good baked chicken breast that is essentially butter, crushed Ritz crackers, and Emeril's Essence seasoning.

You might look into thighs rather than drumsticks. Drums are cheap but you're paying for a lot of non-edible content (bones). Thighs are sometimes a better deal in terms of net edible meat per purchased pound.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 12:43:43 PM »
"Drums are cheap but you're paying for a lot of non-edible content (bones)."

You get your money's worth out of the legs when you boil the bones to make a kick ass stock.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 04:20:06 PM »
https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=496610

Ingredients
6 chicken legs (more or less as needed)
20 garlic cloves (skins left on)
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/3 cup chicken broth
3 tablespoons oil

Mix the spices, coat the legs with oil and rub the spices all over them. Toss them in the crockpot, toss in the garlic cloves (you don't necessarily need that many) and pour in the chicken broth. Cook on low for 8 hours.

Last time I bought chicken legs (it's been a while) we tried this one. (Or something like it. It looks right, but I can't be sure.)

Super easy, barely an inconvenience and it tastes great, too. Little bit of spice and some good garlic flavor.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 06:22:09 PM »
I also see thighs for dirt cheap, my complex recipe is to cover them with Baby Ray's and toss them in the oven.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:02:34 PM »
I have an anodized heavy aluminum skillet (Calphalon.)  A really well-seasoned iron skillet would probably work as well.  I cook chicken thighs in it, in their own fat that renders out, until cooked all the way thru and the skin is crispy.   They cook faster if you put a lid on the skillet for part of the time, but finish with it uncovered.
"It's good, though..."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 12:39:40 AM »
Even easier that mak's.  Salt (I prefer kosher), whatever herbs/spices you have and feel like using.  Make a mix that's, I dunno, 33-50% salt, the rest whatever proportions of herbs/spices sounds good to you (or 100% salt, or almost all salt with some pepper).  Sprinkle a dusting over the drums, turn them and dust again so all sides are coated.  Experiment to see how much salt you like (guessing I use about 1% or maybe a little less of meat weight).  Let it sit with the salt for however long you can stand, a few seconds or up to a full day (though for more than a couple hours put in the fridge).  Put in a 300F oven on convection, or 350F without the fan.  Turn once when the skin is getting crispy so the bottom side can also crisp up.  Maybe 45 minutes total.  Serve with mashed taters, or rice or bread or salad or whatever you want.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 01:36:02 PM »
I also see thighs for dirt cheap, my complex recipe is to cover them with Baby Ray's and toss them in the oven.

I think that might be my next experiment.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama