Author Topic: Oregon gun control bill...  (Read 914 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Oregon gun control bill...
« on: January 16, 2019, 09:47:02 AM »
Anyone else heard about this?

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SB501

Bill introduced in Oregon.  Some highlights include...

A ban on "ammunition feeding devices, whether detachable or fixed, capable of holding more than 5 rounds."  The bill specifically exempts .22 caliber tube feeding devices, tubular devices on level action firearms, and devices permanently altered to accept no more than five rounds.  New twist here, in that it does not limit the ban to semi-automatic firearms.  A strict reading of this bill would include pump shotguns with extended tubes and, my favorite part, revolvers with more than 5 round cylinders, regardless of caliber.  Got a 9 shot .22 revolver?  Not anymore.  How about a Colt SAA in .45LC?  That's a felony to possess one 180 days after the bill gets introduced.

A ban on the sale of more than 20 round of ammunition per month to an individual.  20 rounds.  Not even a full box of practice ammo.  Oh, and there's a mandatory background check on each ammunition purchase. 

There's more.  My link is to the actual bill, not a press interpretation.  Articles I have read said that gun control advocates have tried for years to push measures, and lost close votes time and again.  A recent shift in the legislature gives Dems a strong majority, so they anticipate great success for gun control legislation.

It this passes, so much for my dream of attending a course at Thunder Ranch Oregon...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Oregon gun control bill...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 09:52:07 AM »
If I remember right from what I read on this a couple of days ago, even the sponsor thinks this will not pass as-is, and seems to be doing it "for awareness" (though I'm sure he hopes it DOES pass). Also, apparently input for this came from teenagers after Parkland. Yeah, lets let 16 year olds vote.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 09:54:11 AM »
On the PNW gun boards that I frequent, there has been much discussion of this.  Washington now also has a strong Democratic majority in the Legislature, so we are waiting to see what is coming down the pike here. The state Attorney General has already announced his intent to work for an assault weapons ban, ban on magazines holding more than 10 rounds, etc.

Most of my Oregon colleagues feel this particular bill will not go anywhere.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 10:01:00 AM »
The entire West Coast is going to get interesting in the next couple of years on this stuff. As of this year, the Republican party is pretty much dead at the state level in CA. There is absolutely zero that they can do against anything the dems want. They are like the Libertarians in presidential elections.

Though interestingly, it seems OR and WA are putting up even more restrictive legislation than CA right now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 10:31:22 AM »
20 rounds per month. A typical gun control measure. It won't stop common criminals, or mass shooter lunatics, but it will make things more difficult on the law-abiding shooter.

Ya gotta love the idea of a state granting carry permits for citizens to carry handguns around all over the place, but then basically making training or target practice illegal.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »
20 rounds per month. A typical gun control measure. It won't stop common criminals, or mass shooter lunatics, but it will make things more difficult on the law-abiding shooter.

Ya gotta love the idea of a state granting carry permits for citizens to carry handguns around all over the place, but then basically making training or target practice illegal.

Could be an interesting strategy to eliminate permits back-door.  Require a shooting qualification score.  Make the minimum score tough, and then eliminate the ability of people to practice effectively for the test.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 10:55:06 AM »
The entire West Coast is going to get interesting in the next couple of years on this stuff.
Though interestingly, it seems OR and WA are putting up even more restrictive legislation than CA right now.

Exactly, they feel the time is right to pass as many gun control bills as they can and if the legislative process doesn't work they have people in the background willing to donate millions of dollars to use the initiative process to get done what the legislature can't.

This is one of the main reasons we are moving this year although Nevada is becoming more blue with every day that passes.

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 11:41:51 AM »

They don’t want restrictions on the criminals. They don’t want to stop mass shootings. They love both of those things. But they absolutely loath the regular law abiding citizen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 12:34:09 PM »
They don’t want restrictions on the criminals. They don’t want to stop mass shootings. They love both of those things. But they absolutely loath the regular law abiding citizen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QFT
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge