Author Topic: Smoked Pork Butt  (Read 3956 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Smoked Pork Butt
« on: January 16, 2019, 01:46:19 PM »
Friday I am planning to smoke my first pork butt for pulled pork.

I found a recipe that involved injecting it with marinade and then smoking after it marinates overnight.

However, as I know we have many smoker aficionados, I thought I might ask: What's your best smoked pork butt recipe?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Smoked Pork Butt
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 10:19:42 PM »
I inject apple cider vinegar,  rub is salt, pepper, onion, garlic, paprika, red pepper, brown sugar.

Put a disposable aluminum pan with water under it.

I've thought about adding a couple pineapple slices on top too.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 07:22:30 AM »
Castle Key uses Cheerwine soda as a big part of his smoked pulled pork butt recipe.

Not 100% sure what else he uses, but it uniformly turns out one hell of a tasty meal.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 11:53:27 AM »
Pervert!   :rofl: :rofl:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 11:28:21 PM »
I bought a rotisserie for my barbecue grill a few years ago.  Worth every penny just to roast pork shoulder.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 12:08:17 AM »
It has been many years since I've cooked one this way, but I used to pressure cook a large beef chuck roast or a pork picnic roast, then transfer to a smoker that I built out of a galvanized trash can. 

Before you think "zinc poisoning!" or "metal fume fever", it never got that hot.  The firebox was a cracked iron skillet that sat in the bottom on a piece of firebrick, and just had a few charcoal brickets and a handful of oak sawdust and some chunks of apple or pecan wood.
"It's good, though..."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 12:06:44 PM »
I've dinked around with injecting, marinades, spritzing with vineagar, and such with pork butts.  What I do now is just rub with yellow mustard then put some spice rub on the outside.  Then smoke at 225 until it hits ~195.  rest it for an hour, then pull.  If I am on a hurry, wrap with foil at 160-165.

Comes out tasty and perfect.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 12:16:52 PM »
I find the fattiest pork shoulder I could find, unwrap it, rub with dry spices, let it set on the counter until it gets to near room temp, smoke for a couple hours, mop the shoulder with apple juice/cider, wrap the shoulder in foil and finish in the oven or crockpot. I also like to let it rest still wrapped in foil, either covered in towels or a small cooler to hold the temp.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:39:26 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 01:28:40 PM »
You have plenty of recipes to use, here is something else. Figure out what time you want it done (1-1.5 hours per pound) and figure out a starting time, then add 2-4 hours to it. Once it hits 165 or so, after a good smoke, wrap with foil and watch as the temp climbs to 195-200 degrees to pull it. If it gets there too soon wrap in a towel and put in a cooler to retain the heat.

Make a good coleslaw to go with it.

bob

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 06:51:02 PM »
Gonna throw in my two cents on this one.   I've done this a couple times now and it comes out amazing.   Bone in pork butt for one.   Boneless loses too much flavor - as the cooking process goes on, the collagen near the bone breaks down into starches and sweetens the meat.  I trim the fat cap to around 1/4 inch thick, and then crosscut some slices into the fat cap that go into the meat below.  12-24 hours before you cook, pat it dry, douse liberally in salt.  I let the majority of the flavor come from the smoke.   I've done some dry rubs before as well, so you really can't go wrong there.  Same thing with the rubs, do it 12-24 hours before you start cooking.   Out of the fridge at least 60 mins before it goes on the smoke, let it start coming up towards room temp before tossing it on the smoker with the fat cap up.   Once it's on there, I spritz with a mix of 50/50 apple cider and apple cider vinegar ever 60 mins or so.   1-1.5 hours per pound.  For pulled pork I take it off the smoker at an internal temp of between 190 and 195, wrap tightly in foil, and wrap that in towels and into a cooler to coast up to an IT of 200-205.  That's where the collagen around the bone breaks down.   Once it's coasted up to temp, pull out the bone (it should pretty much just glide out).  You should have a gorgeous bark on there, start pulling the meat apart, set the bark aside to chop and mix back into the meat.  Nice coleslaw with it and it's heaven on earth
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy