Author Topic: Ghostbusters... Maybe the real thing this time  (Read 2865 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Ghostbusters... Maybe the real thing this time
« on: January 16, 2019, 08:53:05 PM »
Ivan Reitman's son, Jason, has been tapped to bring a new installment to the franchise. Hopefully the family influence and lack of Paul Feig will result in a decent movie.
The teaser trailer certainly has the right vibe.

https://youtu.be/8pvGfFdY_D8

Supposedely it will be a genuine continuation of the original, set 35 years later just as the calendar intended. High hopes, indeed.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Ghostbusters... Maybe the real thing this time
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 10:26:45 PM »
Ghostbusters: Haunted Hospice
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 07:10:29 AM »
:Yawn:

Didn't care for the original. Highly unlikely I'll bother with the sequel.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 08:54:36 AM »
We will see.  Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd are pretty funny guys.  Hard to replace them with new actors and get the same thing. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 10:15:21 AM »
Now that I have a real keyboard and am not sleep-deprived...

For those unaware, Ivan Reitman directed the original Ghostbusters. Jason is his son. Two of the original three Ghostbusters writers are still with us, Dan Akroyd and Rick Moranis (Harold Ramis, RIP), and Ivan Reitman has agreed to step in as a co-writer. Akroyd teased the possibility of another Ghostbusters back in November 2018 and is indicating he has direct involvement with this project. Also, industry insider-speak is pretty adamant that this is a true continuation of the original, right down to the timeline which will have moved forward in time just like the real world. Same world, same characters, just 35 years older.

Akroyd, Murrey, and Hudson are still spry enough to pull off a decent film, especially if they go all-in an use their age as a plot point. Ramis is gone but of all the characters, explaining Egon's absence has the most comedic potential while still paying respects and homage to Ramis's and the character's legacies. Maybe Egon's ghost shows up to help save the day?

Also, no Paul Feig or cast of shrill, pompous, spittle-spraying SJWs.

You have direct involvement of some of the original key players (admittedly one is by familial association, but still), they appear to be fully aware of fan expectations, they are trying to stay true to canon, and the teaser hits all the right notes without devolving into the "in your face!" mess that Paul Feig's abysmal first trailer did. I'm genuinely stoked. I hope they don't muck it up.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:02:42 AM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 11:35:37 AM »
.................. I hope they don't muck it up.

Me Too.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 04:40:05 PM »
This sounds like it has huge potential.... To either be absolutely awesome, or to sorely disappoint....   I'm looking forward to it, but not holding my breath.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 06:47:06 PM »
:Yawn:

Didn't care for the original. Highly unlikely I'll bother with the sequel.

"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 01:07:13 PM »
The first "real" trailer has dropped. Folks, this looks like the real thing and not the unfunny "woke" crapshow of 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS88gS6ZuqI&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0EHJmhE43ps_XtjvxMZi6Oj_G90OHpKC6lGcQf0QM6NnFO6BDidQSi5J0

So, it's official. It's a true continuation of both story and timeline, and with most of the original development team and cast in place. Tons of solid callbacks and a trailer focused on an actual, enjoyable storyline rather than just a bunch of lame jokes and flashy CGI. They also did what I so very hoped they would do... integrate the late Harold Ramis' absence into the project via what appears to be an essential story element.

Okay, so now I am double-extra excited.

Brad
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 03:06:28 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 02:58:08 PM »

So, it's official. It's a true continuation of both story and timeline, and with most of the original development team and cast in place. Tons of solid callbacks and what appears to be an actual, enjoyable storyline rather than just a bunch of lame jokes and flashy CGI. They also did what I so very hoped they would do... integrate the late Harold Ramis' absence as an essential story element.

Brad

The mine in the trailer is the Shandor mine.

The man who built the Gozer building from the first movie was Ivo Shandor.

And the claw on the hood of the car looked a lot like the demon-dogs into which Weaver and Moranis were transformed.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 03:00:58 PM »

The mine in the trailer is the Shandor mine.

The man who built the Gozer building from the first movie was Ivo Shandor.

Five bucks says he was mining selenium.

Brad
-HankB

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 03:03:43 PM »
The first "real" trailer has dropped. Folks, this looks like the real thing and not the unfunny "woke" crapshow of 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS88gS6ZuqI&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0EHJmhE43ps_XtjvxMZi6Oj_G90OHpKC6lGcQf0QM6NnFO6BDidQSi5J0

So, it's official. It's a true continuation of both story and timeline, and with most of the original development team and cast in place. Tons of solid callbacks and what appears to be an actual, enjoyable storyline rather than just a bunch of lame jokes and flashy CGI. They also did what I so very hoped they would do... integrate the late Harold Ramis' absence as an essential story element.

Brad

AND it has Paul Rudd. He's a worthy addition to the Ghostbuster's crew.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 04:40:17 PM »
AND it has Paul Rudd. He's a worthy addition to the Ghostbuster's crew.

Yes, but.... kids as the main protagonists?

It looks good in the trailer, though.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 05:24:42 PM »
Yes, but.... kids as the main protagonists?

If it's 1-and-done it'll be fine.

But if they're the heirs to the Ghostbuster tech and calling, it's a problem for 14 year old kids to have equipment that only exists as prototype equipment designed by fringe wacko nuclear physicists.  Gonna need a 10 year break for the kids to get the requisite PhD's to deal with the calling.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 05:43:29 PM »
I'll wait for it on Netflix or my buddies Plex server.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2022, 11:48:54 PM »
Thread necro.

Watched it tonight. Is it a perfect movie? Nope. Is it a little rushed at times? Yep. Does it skip several blatantly obvious plot and character development points? Yeah, in spades. Does it matter? Not one bit.

Loved it.

If you have any fond feelings at all for the original then make this a must-see. True to the original plot and characters, but in a fresh, new way. Without giving too much away, my gut presumptions in the OP about Spengler were warranted. Maybe a little too blatant part way in, but it works out. You might even get a little misty-eyed at one point.

Also, if you have a decent home theater system, this is worth the watch for sound alone. Superbly done. Nicely balanced and not at all shrill, shouty, or bass-heavy,  but with great atmospherics and properly brutal LFE at just the right times.

Oh, be sure to watch all the end credits.

Brad
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 09:51:32 AM »
I guess I didn't stay for the 2nd end credit scene.  Youtube has them if you missed them.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 02:18:12 PM »
Thread necro.

Watched it tonight. Is it a perfect movie? Nope. Is it a little rushed at times? Yep. Does it skip several blatantly obvious plot and character development points? Yeah, in spades. Does it matter? Not one bit.

Loved it.

If you have any fond feelings at all for the original then make this a must-see. True to the original plot and characters, but in a fresh, new way. Without giving too much away, my gut presumptions in the OP about Spengler were warranted. Maybe a little too blatant part way in, but it works out. You might even get a little misty-eyed at one point.

Also, if you have a decent home theater system, this is worth the watch for sound alone. Superbly done. Nicely balanced and not at all shrill, shouty, or bass-heavy,  but with great atmospherics and properly brutal LFE at just the right times.

Oh, be sure to watch all the end credits.

Brad

SWMBO and I watched it last night.   

What Brad said.

All of it.

It was freakin' awesome.

We even watched a couple of the extra bits that come on the bluray, like the "why we did this, how we did that" extras.  Even those had us riveted.

I thought it was really interesting that they wanted to use a lot of physical props and SFX as opposed to CG because they wanted to keep the same feel of the original movie.   Not that there isn't CG because of course there is, but it really just feels like the original movie just more polished.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2022, 02:53:50 PM »
Is it streaming somewhere?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2022, 05:27:08 PM »
I watched it off of Google Play, the wife had me actually pay to "own" it since the grandkids will watch it 12 or 800 times when they are staying with us.

I enjoyed it, coulda been better, coulda been a hell of a lot worse. Kind of left it open for a sequel.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2023, 10:39:06 AM »
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFNK_KEmcWs

Scheduled for release end of March 2024.

Brad
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2023, 12:47:57 PM »
Afterlife was a good popcorn flick, I'll give this one a watch when it pops up on a streaming service.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2023, 03:02:55 PM »
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFNK_KEmcWs

Scheduled for release end of March 2024.

Brad

Feels kind of pink-goo-ish.

Sort of like how Indiana Jones works best with Nazis, Ghostbusters works best with Gozer and quasi-Lovecraftian horror tropes.

The ice thing comes off the same as the pink goo from the 80's sequel.  Group-feelz. 

This trailer doesn't do it for me.  Maybe there's something I'm missing though.
--Lysander Spooner