Armed Polite Society
August 18, 2018, 01:54:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New (to me) bike!  (Read 1173 times)
mtnbkr
Administrator

« on: February 07, 2007, 10:32:45 AM »

It's a mid 80s vintage Giant RS940.  According to what little info I can find online, it has a lugged, triple-butted 4130 chromoly frame.  The component spec is low end, but functional (biopace rings anyone?).  Even with the old, heavy parts, the bike only weighs 25lbs.  That's heavy for a road bike these days, but was average to slightly above average for the time.  A full bore, aluminum race bike was in the 19-21lb range during the same timeframe.  To get it rolling, I needed to replace a spoke, true the rear wheel, adjust the bottom bracket, and adjust the headset.  I'm eventually going to replace the wheels due to flat spots in the rim and a bearing issue.  No worries though, it rolls as is and upgrading the wheels will let me upgrade from a 6spd freewheel to a 7spd or greater cassette.

With new wheels and a new crankset, I could easily drop 2lbs off.  I'm eventually going to replace just about everything with used/NOS Shimano 105sc or better.  I thought about going with used/NOS Campagnolo stuff (very cheap on ebay), but that means more brand specific tools and I'd like to leverage the Shimano specific tools I already own.  Besides, Campy tools can be expensive. Shocked

I rode it to the grocery store this afternoon.  It has a nice ride. Smiley

Chris
Report to moderator   Logged
mtnbkr
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 11:11:34 AM »

Pics:

Headless Thompson Gunner
friend

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 12:07:03 PM »

Old steel bikes rule!  Nice find.

280plus
friend

Ever get that sinking feeling?

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 12:13:08 PM »

Dat bike is Da BOMB! Oh wait, wrong thread...  grin

Avoid cliches like the plague!
Matthew Carberry
Formerly carebear
friend

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 01:02:03 PM »

Now you can reenact your favorite scenes from the hit film "Breaking Away".

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."
bedlamite
Hold my beer and watch this!
friend

Ack! PLBTTPHBT!

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 01:28:02 PM »

Check the width of the rear dropouts on that before you pick up a new wheel set. It may be as narrow as 120mm while most newer ones are much wider. I opened up an old Centurion frame a few years ago to 135mm, and it was a PITA to get it straight.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
mtnbkr
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 03:15:22 PM »

The dropouts are 126mm.  Modern road hubs, not including touring and tandem specific ones, are 130mm, so I only have a 4mm difference.

BTW, the tires are Continental Gaterskin Pro 700x23.  At Performance, a pair costs as much as I paid for the entire bike. I find that sorta amusing.

Chris
lee n. field
friend

tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 12:13:42 AM »

I rode it to the grocery store this afternoon.  It has a nice ride.

<sigh>.  Minus 9 out there right now.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.
mtnbkr
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 01:19:33 AM »

I rode it to the grocery store this afternoon.  It has a nice ride.
<sigh>.  Minus 9 out there right now.
It was cold when I went to the store too, though not as cold as your temps.  My hands and face were frozen by the time I got to the store and when I got home.

Chris
mtnbkr
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 10:14:48 AM »

With new wheels and a new crankset, I could easily drop 2lbs off.
Ha!  Today, I bought a Shimano Ultegra/Mavic Open Pro wheelset (double butted spokes too) at Performance.  It was on sale at $168.  That alone removed nearly 2lbs from my bike! 

I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can take it for a real ride.

Chris
Bogie
friend

Used to be living in Cat Whiz - next, who knows?

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 10:54:53 AM »

Do you know of any reasonably priced way to beef-up a rear wheel? Like, by adding more/thicker/heavier spokes? Back in The Day, my biggest peeve was that I'd break spokes either starting up going uphill or at random moments going uphill.

That was when I was running a Nishiki with a hefty set of toe clips, weighed about 210, and was riding a lot.

Get Your Second Amendment, Political and Fun Stickers Here!
www.stickertramp.com
mtnbkr
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 11:34:24 AM »

With an existing wheel?  Having a knowledgeable wheelbuilder retension your spokes should help.  Barring that, rebuilding it with heavier butted spokes and new nipples will help.  For one wheel, you're looking at about $40 for the labor, about $1.50 per butted spoke, and a few dollars for spoke nipples.  Keep in mind, if your hub isn't machined properly, no amount of rebuilding will help. 

If you're going to have a new wheel built from scratch, a "tandem" wheel will help.  Those are typically built for two riders' legs and weight.   Tandem wheels can have up to 40 spokes and a more durable hub. 

Chris

Chris
bedlamite
Hold my beer and watch this!
friend

Ack! PLBTTPHBT!

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 11:35:57 AM »

Bogie, your old wheel can be relaced with either DT 2.0/1.8 or Wheelsmith 2.0/1.7 double butted spokes, 3 cross for 32 hole or 4 cross for 36 hole. The alternative is a new wheelset with more spokes. $40 is kind of high for one wheel build, I usually get them done in under 1/2 hour.

I outweigh you by a couple pounds and my wheels are Mavic Open rims, Wheelsmith 2.0/1.7 spokes, Phil Wood hubs, 32 hole with 3 cross on drive side, and 1 cross on the rear left side, radial in front. No problems and it's been a few years since I built them.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
jamisjockey
Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
Administrator

Your mom sends me care packages

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 11:38:54 AM »

Good times we'll get out on the road asap  grin

JD

"Why'd you open your bonghole, you smelly hippie? You'd sacrifice a beautiful woman to save a moderately attractive monkey? You must have smoked some bad granola."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: