Author Topic: Beto questions whether we should be governed by the constitutions principles  (Read 642 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/beto-orourkes-immigration-plan-no-wall-but-no-specifics/2019/01/15/f6e36fac-15ea-11e9-90a8-136fa44b80ba_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8f03502f3738
“Throughout the two-hour interview — which was often interrupted by bystanders urging him to run for president — O’Rourke boomeranged between a bright-eyed hope that the United States will soon dramatically change its approach to a whole host of issues and a dismal suspicion that the country is now incapable of implementing sweeping change.

When asked which it is, O’Rourke paused.

“I’m hesitant to answer it because I really feel like it deserves its due, and I don’t want to give you a — actually, just selfishly, I don’t want a sound bite of it reported, but, yeah, I think that’s the question of the moment: Does this still work?” O’Rourke said. “Can an empire like ours with military presence in over 170 countries around the globe, with trading relationships…and security agreements in every continent, can it still be managed by the same principles that were set down 230-plus years ago?”

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MikeB

• friend
Just shows how uneducated people like Beto are. We aren’t an empire, empires take stuff or directly govern and tax from those places they keep troops. Most of our troops are there to protect the places they are and we pay for them. Also they are a deterrent to certain countries militaristic tendencies. I’m looking at you Germany specifically and Europe in general. Also Japan for that matter. Europe couldn’t go a decade if not a year without widespread war for probably 2000 years until the US said enough is enough after WW2. Now you can argue and I might even agree that we shouldn’t be the world police, but the fact is that the whole world more often than not is better with those US troops in the vast majority of locations. Hardly an empire though ...

MechAg94

• friend
He received a whole bunch of campaign donations in his failed Senate run against Cruz that he never spent.  Sounds like he is using that money to pump up his national image with Leftist Democrats. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Crap like that is why I'm NOT a fan of a new Constitutional Convention.  The proponents make it out like it would be a libertarian wet dream come true but there is too small a percentage of the people that would likely be involved that actually understand the concept of real liberty.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
Crap like that is why I'm NOT a fan of a new Constitutional Convention.  The proponents make it out like it would be a libertarian wet dream come true but there is too small a percentage of the people that would likely be involved that actually understand the concept of real liberty.

Yeah, even many of the people you might vote for wouldn't have the right mindset for that.  We would end up with a Constitution that came in volumes like the IRS regulations. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge