Author Topic: Pelosi junket cancelled  (Read 4291 times)

Andiron

• friend
Pelosi junket cancelled
« on: January 17, 2019, 04:51:01 PM »
https://imgur.com/fTtiWSp

I lol'd.  And what business does that harpy have over there anyway?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Pelosi junket cancelled
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 04:57:19 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lesson to be learned? Don't get too high and mighty with the person in charge of your air transportation.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 05:25:28 PM »
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lesson to be learned? Don't get too high and mighty with the person in charge of your air transportation.

Brad

Two can play at that game.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 05:43:39 PM »
Well played, Good Sir. Well played.  =D

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 06:12:45 PM »
Perfect timing too. They were on the bus to leave. And Schiff was on the bus too.  :rofl:

I read, but not sure if true there were some Republicans going on the trip too, but either way hilarious and no one in Congress should be going on a junket, vacation or leaving town while the government is shutdown. The GOP shouldn’t be going on their retreat either that is supposedly this weekend.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 06:37:41 PM »
Trump added that he feels “it would be better” if Pelosi was in Washington negotiating with him “and joining the Strong Border Security movement to end the shutdown.”

“Obviously, if you would like to make your journey by flying commercial, that would certainly be your prerogative,” Trump noted. “I look forward to seeing you soon and even more forward to watching our open and dangerous Southern Border finally receive the attention, funding and security it so desperately deserves.”

:lol:

Sanders, when asked why Trump sent the letter to Pelosi, said, “We want to keep her in Washington. If she leaves she guarantees that the second round of paychecks to workers won’t go out.”

She said Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer “always have an invitation” to the White House if they want to come to negotiate.

I would say that Trump won this round.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 06:41:55 PM »

Agreed.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 06:45:23 PM »

Yup. You can't vote to end the shutdown if you're in another country. I wish more dems and MSM would recognize she doesn't really want to end it, and is not even hiding the fact anymore. All I'm seeing from the MSM is attacks on Trump for grounding her and not one "unbiased journalist" asking about her being gone for days, which drags out the shutdown.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 06:46:15 PM »

Let's see if he can win the game.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 06:51:06 PM »
Let's see if he can win the game.

He well may. I won't postulate any 4-D chess, but this thing seems like he is pulling a tarbaby. All these new leftist darlings installed to Congress and instead of getting the wheels on a 2020 progressive platform, everyone is screaming about Trump. And I would bet there was literally screaming in the pelosi motorcade. I think Trump wants more negative media on him.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 06:58:54 PM »
I don't know what she was expecting to happen anyway. It wasn't more than a few days ago that she said she was as powerful as the President, then pulled the SOTU thing. If I were Trump I would have given her a smack down as well. And in fairness, if an R speaker did that to Obama, they would deserve some retaliation as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 07:16:41 PM »
 :laugh:

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 07:19:42 PM »
So Trump canceled his delegation to Davos too. Good move.

I’m not sure how useful these economic conferences are. I can sort of see both sides, but good optics for him.

Come on GOP, cancel your retreat this weekend.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 07:22:11 PM »
Come on GOP, cancel your retreat this weekend.

That would be strategically wise, especially after calling out (rightly) the Puerto Rico thing.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 07:24:28 PM »
That would be strategically wise, especially after calling out (rightly) the Puerto Rico thing.

We are talking about The Stupid Party™©
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 07:29:37 PM »

True. If they were smart they would hold the retreat somewhere in DC if they go through with it or find a way to do it in the actual capital building even better if they can find an area they can exclude the Dems from. Not sure how that works with areas of the building.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 07:32:52 PM »
You can't vote to end the shutdown if you're in another country.
Being there to vote hasn't really been the problem though, it's what they're voting on. Each side thinks they're winning (or losing less) and they're not giving up any ground in "negotiations".
January 3: House passes two spending bills to reopen eight federal agencies on the first day of the Democratic majority.
January 9: House passes a financial services spending bill, with 8 Republicans joining the Democratic effort.
January 10: House passes two funding bills to reopen the Departments of Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, Agriculture, and more. 12 Republicans break with Trump to fund HUD and the Department of Transportation.
January 16: The House passes a disaster relief bill that includes an amendment to fund the government through early February
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 08:26:52 PM »
I don't know what she was expecting to happen anyway. It wasn't more than a few days ago that she said she was as powerful as the President, then pulled the SOTU thing. If I were Trump I would have given her a smack down as well. And in fairness, if an R speaker did that to Obama, they would deserve some retaliation as well.

And if she lets the SOTU address go on he will hammer the Dems on the wall.  Of course if she doesn't let it go on he can hammer Dems on that too.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 09:40:10 PM »
And it was past Republican Congressional leadership that earned that nickname.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 11:22:44 PM »
I haven't yet seen an explanation for why the Speaker of the House needs to travel to Afghanistan at all, let alone less than a month into the new term and in the middle of supposedly trying to end a government shutdown.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 12:15:22 AM »
I’m sort of warming up to having a WWF President.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 12:35:32 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 08:44:11 AM »
I haven't yet seen an explanation for why the Speaker of the House needs to travel to Afghanistan at all, let alone less than a month into the new term and in the middle of supposedly trying to end a government shutdown.
I happened to be listening to radio show I usually don't.  He was responding to people who said she was visiting the troops and they won't like being denied the visit.  The guy said he asked for military personnel to send him horror stories of stuff they had to do when a VIP was visiting.  It was amazing some of the nutty stuff he started reading off.  Most of it sounded like busy work, but some just sounded vindictive.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 12:24:22 PM »
When Pelosi became Speaker the first time, wasn't she the one who demanded an upgrade from a corporate jet (Gulfstream?) to a full-sized airliner for her personal use?

Nasty old harridan sure likes to travel in style . . . at taxpayer expense.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 03:41:32 PM »
I haven't yet seen an explanation for why the Speaker of the House needs to travel to Afghanistan at all
Well, here's one:
Congress is a coequal branch of government. Congress must decide whether to finance military excursions, decide what armaments to authorize, and weigh in on policies governing troop use, benefits, and conditions. A trip to a war zone is far from a junket. It requires a lot of preparation; it almost always provides important information to members of Congress and key staff that they just could not fully appreciate from 7,000 miles away; and it involves long work hours and some risk. Just about anyone who has worked on Capitol Hill has seen firsthand from returning members and staff just how eye-opening an experience those trips can be and just how much more focused the subsequent legislative and oversight efforts are.

For those reasons and others, these CODEL trips, short for “congressional delegation,” are usually carried out by military transport, with military organization. The president, as commander in chief, should want leading congressmen to take such trips. And the perfect time to take them is in January of a new term, when little other legislative business is being conducted and when a new legislative year brings the need to reassess policies and missions.

A trip like this is especially important for the speaker of the house, third in line to the presidency. Set aside the particular personality or ideology of Pelosi, and consider the office she holds. Of course she should take occasional CODELs to war zones and to meet with foreign leaders.

I certainly think it can wait until after the shutdown, but a congressional delegation going over there isn't unusual.
Paul Ryan went a few months ago for the same kind of thing.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.