Author Topic: Pelosi junket cancelled  (Read 4294 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Pelosi junket cancelled
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 04:43:14 PM »
And they can go once they approve funding for border security.    =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 05:26:26 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 06:31:14 PM »
Trump should have let them go, and then cancelled the return trip. :rofl: :rofl:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2019, 08:55:43 PM »
Well, here's one:
I certainly think it can wait until after the shutdown, but a congressional delegation going over there isn't unusual.
Paul Ryan went a few months ago for the same kind of thing.
Oh yes. I’m sure that international political travel is totally not an excuse for a VIP vacation at the taxpayer’s expense. Work, work, work, that is all they do.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2019, 09:29:33 PM »
I happened to be listening to radio show I usually don't.  He was responding to people who said she was visiting the troops and they won't like being denied the visit.  The guy said he asked for military personnel to send him horror stories of stuff they had to do when a VIP was visiting.  It was amazing some of the nutty stuff he started reading off.  Most of it sounded like busy work, but some just sounded vindictive.

VIPs just mean a bunch of E3 and below get tasked with doing stupid *expletive deleted*it and endless formations, and being props for photo ops.  I *expletive deleted*ing hated those.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2019, 09:21:54 AM »
Trump should have let them go, and then cancelled the return trip. :rofl: :rofl:

Even better, he should have taken them on AF1 with him for another visit.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2019, 10:22:29 AM »
I happened to be listening to radio show I usually don't.  He was responding to people who said she was visiting the troops and they won't like being denied the visit.  The guy said he asked for military personnel to send him horror stories of stuff they had to do when a VIP was visiting.  It was amazing some of the nutty stuff he started reading off.  Most of it sounded like busy work, but some just sounded vindictive.

It's called a "Dog and Pony Show" for a reason.  And yes, there is a lot of stupid that goes into getting ready for a Congressional Visit.

We had Pat Schroeder (Idiot- CO) come visit Baumholder back in the 1980's.  I got to see, first hand, just how incredibly stupid our "betters" actually are. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2019, 11:36:54 AM »
Pelosi is now saying she cancelled her trip "on commercial" because Trump "broke security."  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2019, 02:01:30 PM »
Pelosi is now saying she cancelled her trip "on commercial" because Trump "broke security."  :facepalm:

Read the same thing, Have you seen any proof?  I haven't and I've been looking.  And of course she is still not working to end the shutdown.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2019, 02:05:45 PM »

Trump could have claimed the country is experiencing a raging epidemic of liberalism, and carriers of the disease cannot be let into the country.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2019, 12:24:03 PM »
Read the same thing, Have you seen any proof?  I haven't and I've been looking.  And of course she is still not working to end the shutdown.
BELIEVE THE WOMAN! WOMEN NEVER LIE! LOOKING FOR ACTUAL PROOF IS RACIST, SEXIST, HOMOPHOBIC, UNAMERICAN, AND ETHNICALLY AND GENDERALLY** INSENSITIVE!!

** - Genderally? Is that an actual word?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2019, 07:50:03 PM »
BELIEVE THE WOMAN! WOMEN NEVER LIE! LOOKING FOR ACTUAL PROOF IS RACIST, SEXIST, HOMOPHOBIC, UNAMERICAN, AND ETHNICALLY AND GENDERALLY** INSENSITIVE!!

** - Genderally? Is that an actual word?

I know, I'm one of those crazy "proofers"!

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2019, 02:38:36 PM »
State of the Union address ON for January 29th.

President Trump says he will honor Speaker Pelosi's original invitation.

I don't think politics has been this amusing since H. L. Mencken.... or maybe  Will Rogers.

Terry

230RN

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2019, 02:52:52 PM »
I know, I'm one of those crazy "proofers"!

I'd OK the word, since the author has created it.

I refer you to the Humpty-Dumpty Official Style Manual.  To wit: "'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.'"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2019, 03:10:30 PM »
And Pelosi officially disinvites him:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/01/23/its-war-nancy-pelosi-just-formally-disinvited-donald-trump-from-delivering-sotu-address/

I think he would have been better off immediately saying he was going to speak at another venue versus pulling this "original invitation" stuff. Gave her too wide of an opening and now her base can talk about how "powerful" she is. Had he ignored her and just done a venue end-run, she would have looked powerless.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2019, 03:13:48 PM »
Hopefully this will help end the stupid spectacle of lies going forward.

A man can hope  :laugh:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2019, 03:26:49 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2019, 03:38:02 PM »
Had he ignored her and just done a venue end-run, she would have looked powerless.

He's been trying (and failing it seems) to make her do something in the one area she really does have significant power, on the floor of the house. He can show up there but he can't make her call the house into session, broadcast anything or probably even turn on the lights. I guess he could livestream it on twitter like the Dems did with their sit-in a few years ago.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2019, 04:22:58 PM »
Easiest way to fix that is just step around her. Make her irrelevant. Secure an alternate venue and give formal invitations to appropriate parties. They can choose to attend the address or choose to stay home like spoiled children.

Afterwards, issue a memo praising those who chose to attend. Make it an olive branch moment by heaping special praise on (D) and (I) reps for their commitment to country and constituents. Leave obvious silence for those absent, making them look like the obstinate, petty, infantile morons they are.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2019, 04:39:27 PM »
Easiest way to fix that is just step around her. Make her irrelevant. Secure an alternate venue and give formal invitations to appropriate parties. They can choose to attend the address or choose to stay home like spoiled children.

Afterwards, issue a memo praising those who chose to attend. Make it an olive branch moment by heaping special praise on (D) and (I) reps for their commitment to country and constituents. Leave obvious silence for those absent, making them look like the obstinate, petty, infantile morons they are.

Brad
I believe he's already been offered at least 1 or 2 alternate venues.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2019, 09:16:13 PM »
And Pelosi officially disinvites him:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/01/23/its-war-nancy-pelosi-just-formally-disinvited-donald-trump-from-delivering-sotu-address/

I think he would have been better off immediately saying he was going to speak at another venue versus pulling this "original invitation" stuff. Gave her too wide of an opening and now her base can talk about how "powerful" she is. Had he ignored her and just done a venue end-run, she would have looked powerless.

That would have looked like he had to give in.

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Somehow, Mohammed Ali comes to mind.

I have no doubt he's pre-planned for just about everything she can do.  

Somehow, General Patton comes to mind.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:38:44 PM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2019, 09:33:29 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2019, 10:35:14 AM »
Until he changes his mind.
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2019, 11:09:48 AM »
Until he changes his mind.
....again .....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2019, 11:23:35 AM »
SOTU address is just a bog and pony show, I couldn’t care less.

Trumps Twitter account is a daily SOTU address.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.