Author Topic: On Those Catholic Kids That "Attacked" the Native Americans  (Read 31270 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: On Those Catholic Kids That "Attacked" the Native Americans
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2019, 10:03:36 AM »
I had a further thought about the false bishop.

The INSTANTANEOUS condemnation of members of his flock stands in stark contrast to the Church's mealy-mouthed tepid response to ostensibly Catholic New York politicians enabling and cheering mortal sins of murdering children.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2019, 12:57:41 PM »
They're suing the Washington Post now http://www.hemmerlaw.com/blog/for-truth-for-justice-for-nicholas/
As an actual lawsuit I doubt it's going to get very far.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2019, 02:56:44 PM »
They're suing the Washington Post now http://www.hemmerlaw.com/blog/for-truth-for-justice-for-nicholas/
As an actual lawsuit I doubt it's going to get very far.

How so? The young man is a minor. The news doesn't get to libel him as though he is a public figure.

He doesn't even have to prove malicious intent. Just that they were negligent.

Considering it takes a very small amount of time to prove the initial allegations completely false, I don't see how he can lose on the merits. The Washington Post took ZERO effort to substantiate the claims they published.

That's negligence right there, and all he needs for libel.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2019, 03:29:01 PM »
How so? The young man is a minor. The news doesn't get to libel him as though he is a public figure.

Considering it takes a very small amount of time to prove the initial allegations completely false, I don't see how he can lose on the merits. The Washington Post took ZERO effort to substantiate the claims they published.

That's negligence right there, and all he needs for libel.

IMHO, it's a slam-dunk case, except for the damages.  He's going to have a hard time showing any actual damages, other than maybe his legal fees.  Is this being tried under Kentucky laws or federal laws?  (not sure if there are federal libel laws)  IANAL, and all that.
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2019, 03:42:35 PM »
IMHO, it's a slam-dunk case, except for the damages.  He's going to have a hard time showing any actual damages, other than maybe his legal fees.  Is this being tried under Kentucky laws or federal laws?  (not sure if there are federal libel laws)  IANAL, and all that.

People were writing to potential colleges to prevent him from attending any college.

People were offering cash (and other incentives) to punch him or worse.

.... That's not damage to a reputation?

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2019, 03:53:07 PM »

It was almost certainly a "matter of public concern" by the time WaPo even published their first story, so I expect they will have to prove malicious intent if it gets that far. It had already "gone viral" and pretty much all of the false and defamatory statements listed were just quotes from Phillips.
Sandmann may have a viable lawsuit against someone, I just don't see it happening against the Washington Post.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2019, 05:14:07 PM »
It was almost certainly a "matter of public concern" by the time WaPo even published their first story, so I expect they will have to prove malicious intent if it gets that far. It had already "gone viral" and pretty much all of the false and defamatory statements listed were just quotes from Phillips.
Sandmann may have a viable lawsuit against someone, I just don't see it happening against the Washington Post.

But WaPo published 7 or 8 stories in the days after the event without doing any factchecking (i.e. watching the full videos).  That's negligence on the part of WaPo.  They are expected to make sure the stories they publish are as accurate as possible.   They continued to publish "the narrative" well after the truth of the event had come out.

As far a damages, every time someone googles Nicholas Sandmann or does any type of background check, the first things to come up will be the WaPo stories.  That's ruined the kid's reputation forever.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2019, 05:30:33 PM »
But WaPo published 7 or 8 stories in the days after the event without doing any factchecking (i.e. watching the full videos). 

Which came out like 12 hours after the edited one. There is literally no excuse for a mainstream news source to not have seen them within 24 hours of the edited one, but that first one got all the airplay in the MSM for days. Unlike the social media, "journalists" are supposed to do diligent research.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2019, 06:50:43 PM »
It was almost certainly a "matter of public concern" by the time WaPo even published their first story, so I expect they will have to prove malicious intent if it gets that far.  . . .
IANAL but . . .

Has the WaPo ever published a critical story equating MAGA hats - or "pro-life" individuals - with Klan hoods, racism, or some other unsavory opinions or practices? That might go a long way toward proving malicious intent when the object of their ire is NOT a public figure. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2019, 07:01:30 PM »

How could any sane person consider him, a 16 year old high school student, a "public figure" when all the publicity was without his consent. He was in the public eye involuntarily and not for any actual misdeed.
He's been doxxed, threatened, maligned and publicly ridiculed by numerous media outlets and libtard public figures.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2019, 07:12:40 PM »

It doesn't matter that it had gone viral. The kid wasn't a public figure. The fact that the libel and slander turned him into a public figure is ex post facto. That means the media had a duty to not be negligent. They didn't have absolutely prove that the claims against the kids were true, but they did have to at least make a conscientious effort to determine whether or not the charges were true.

And they didn't make any effort whatsoever. They took a narrative that supported their world view du jour and ran with it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2019, 10:14:34 PM »
  I don't know who the SNL writer girl is who offered ... uh...."sex" to whomever would punch the young man, but I saw her picture.
 She is attractive, so i can easily imagine there are lots of idiot dudes out there who A: believe her  B: willing to actually assault the young gentleman.
She, obviously has never gotten a right hook, in the face, by an aggressor male a lot stronger than she is.
 I am willing to bet that God will one day let her know what its like to get a punch in the face.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2019, 10:16:02 PM »
Quote from: Andrew Napolitano
the student became a “limited purpose public figure” during the confrontation, adding that Sandmann’s lawyers would need to then prove the Post “published what they knew was false and reckless.”
“We start from the proposition that the freedom of speech is protected and defamation is an exception, a very narrow exception. When it’s a public event, the exception is even narrower.”
while he makes a “very strong moral case,” the law “does not impose a moral standard on the Washington Post to engage in restraint.”
I've seen a lot of people on social media excited about this case, but I can't say I've seen many I respect with a legal background saying it's a strong case while there are a couple saying the opposite. Just because someone was wronged doesn't mean the courts will deliver justice.

I'm no lawyer and the whole Gawker thing didn't turn out how I expected, so I could turn out to be wrong but I'd still be willing to bet money that they don't win this case in court. I'm even skeptical that it will be settled out of court for anything more than an apology. That filing is kind of a mess - lots of stuff in there that definitely isn't defamation and (at least to me) looks pretty irrelevant so maybe I'm missing some of the actual statements WaPo made that were defamation. So much of it was opinion. This is from well before when the suit was filed but explains why it will be hard one to win https://reason.com/volokh/2019/01/24/libel-law-and-the-covington-boys

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2019, 10:24:15 PM »
I think there's probably a good case, but not for $250mil.  Maybe $250k.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #164 on: February 22, 2019, 02:30:19 PM »
Another look through the lawsuit, they found one item compelling:
There is one statement that does look like a potential assertion of fact rather than opinion. From The Post:

"It was getting ugly, and I was thinking: 'I've got to find myself an exit out of this situation and finish my song at the Lincoln Memorial,' " Phillips recalled. "I started going that way, and that guy in the hat stood in my way, and we were at an impasse. He just blocked my way and wouldn't allow me to retreat."

This strikes me as potential grounds for a libel claim. It may indeed be considered a statement of fact rather than opinion, and one that was incorrect. The false assertion certainly portrays Sandmann in a negative light, and The Post made little effort to corroborate it before the author went ahead and subjected a previously unknown teenage boy to all the negative publicity that comes with being the subject of hit piece in a major media outlet. But this is far from open and shut, as the media's failures in the Covington case, while substantial, are more open to interpretation than Rolling Stone's failures in the Virginia story.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #165 on: February 22, 2019, 07:06:52 PM »
"It was getting ugly, and I was thinking: 'I've got to find myself an exit out of this situation and finish my song at the Lincoln Memorial,' " Phillips recalled. "I started going that way, and that guy in the hat stood in my way, and we were at an impasse. He just blocked my way and wouldn't allow me to retreat."

It's just a basic language problem. Phillips perhaps avoided going to one of those missionary schools on the reservation where they don't let the kids speak anything other than English. That might explain why he thinks "retreat" means "continue in a forward direction," rather than "go back to where I came in from."

The concept of someone in front of you blocking you from retreating is ... amusing.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2019, 09:01:21 AM »
Add CNN

CNN to be sued for more than $250M over 'vicious' and 'direct attacks' on Covington High student: lawyer
https://www.foxnews.com/us/cnn-to-be-sued-for-more-than-250m-over-vicious-and-direct-attacks-on-covington-high-student-lawyer
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

grampster

• friend
« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2019, 01:01:30 PM »
The media overreaction/bias to this situation is the classic example of how far down into the depths modern *"journalism" has fallen.  I hope this kid's lawyer lines up a long line of individuals and companies to sue.  If they settle, I would make part of the settlement the absence of any non disclosure agreement.  The only way the media can begin to pay for their sins of distortion, obfuscation, error, lies and negligent reportage inter alia, is to rub their noses in it publicly.

*To call the dreck in print or broadcasting journalism or reporting does a disservice to the definition of each.   
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2019, 01:39:39 PM »
*To call the dreck in print or broadcasting journalism or reporting does a disservice to the definition of each.   

That's why I call it urinalism.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

DittoHead

• friend

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2019, 08:48:05 PM »
Marburger said the opinion issue was at the crux of the suit.

"When we’re all looking at the same facts, we’re all free to say what we think those facts show without being fearful of a libel judgement against us," Marburger said. "And that’s what you have here."
Odd quote.  The Post can say anything they want as long as it is an opinion or quoting someone's opinion.  That is the sort of thing that can be heavily abused.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2019, 08:54:40 PM »
Odd quote.  The Post can say anything they want as long as it is an opinion or quoting someone's opinion.  That is the sort of thing that can be heavily abused.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2019, 08:59:45 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."