Author Topic: Black-Eyed Peas  (Read 3792 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Black-Eyed Peas
« on: January 01, 2019, 06:08:54 PM »
I was going to make these for New Year's Day https://web.archive.org/web/20140303231853/http://wholesomemom.me/2011/10/17/black-eyed-pea-croquettes/ but I didn't start the peas soaking in time.  So I divided them and will make a half a recipe sometime this week, and I'm boiling the other half -- with a few little pieces of that ham, some onions, garlic, black pepper, and a handful of dried serrano pepper slices from the garden (probably way too many serranos.)

My Great Aunt Mary was very superstitious, (all three sisters were, but her especially) and it was important to her that we eat black-eyed peas for the New Year -- "For luck!"*  I don't really like BEPs but I don't dislike them, and I eat some every year to remind me of her.  Happy New Year, Aunt Mary.

*other folks in East Texas and probably elsewhere also eat greens on New Years "For money!" but I don't remember her ever saying that.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Black-Eyed Peas
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 06:26:24 PM »
We are eating a soup today with black eyed peas, ham, spinach and tomatoes.  Very good.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 06:47:25 PM »
We have a friend from Texas that got us started growing and canning our own black eyed peas.  We usually stretch our pint of peas with a pint of home grown green beans mixed in.

BTW, black eyed peas are BEANS.  I don't care what they call them in the south.  ;)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 07:51:29 PM »
That BEP falafel recipe I linked in the first post is a good one.  It's been a few years since I made them, but I think I ate them last time with that greek yogurt/dill/cucumber sauce (tzatziki?) and naan bread.
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 11:45:28 PM »
BEP, bacon, can of Rotel, garlic salt, pepper.

Brad.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 07:05:52 AM »
In Pennsylvania German culture, it's good luck if you have pork and sauerkraut on New Year's day.

This is the second year in a row I've not had that for NY day dinner...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 01:17:51 PM »
Never had ‘em, what are they like?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 01:27:59 PM »

Like ham and beans.

We made some black eyed peas but with my parents visiting, our one 12 oz bag wasn't quite enough so we added some baby lima beans into the mix. That was a very tasty addition.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 01:32:25 PM »

Like beans, but they cook faster.  And taste muddier -- a bit like lentils.
"It's good, though..."