Author Topic: Younger Republicans are more liberal than their elders  (Read 3025 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Younger Republicans are more liberal than their elders
« on: January 24, 2019, 12:17:48 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/23/us/gop-liberal-america-millennials.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

There may well be continued leftward movement in our political landscape, especially as older Republicans die off and are replaced by our children and grandchildren.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Younger Republicans are more liberal than their elders
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 03:41:17 PM »
I thought there were articles talking about the younger generation being much more right. ???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 07:40:38 PM »
Overton Window .... the aperture that sheds light on political movements .....  [tinfoil] ....... :old:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 09:13:29 AM »
Young people are pretty much always more liberal than older ones.

Hopefully they will grow out of it.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 09:20:05 AM »

Usually when they find out, all too often the hard way, that not everything they KNEW as a teenager was right and that their parents just may have been right about quite a few things the whole time.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 10:18:03 AM »

Somebody once said,

"If a man isn't a Communist by the time he's twenty, he has no heart.  And if he hasn't rejected it by the time he's thirty, he has no brain."

Terry, 230RN

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 10:21:14 AM »
Who was it who said,

"If a man isn't a Communist by the time he's twenty, he has no heart.  And if he hasn't rejected it by the time he's thirty, he has no brain."

???

Terry, 230RN

I have no heart then.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 10:22:49 AM »
Somebody once said,

???

Terry, 230RN

You realize we are headed for Idiocracy ...
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 09:10:37 AM »
You realize we are headed for Idiocracy ...

You realize the journey is nearly complete?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 11:12:01 AM »
Somebody once said,

Terry, 230RN

Oh, I had a heart when I was twenty.  I kept it at home.  In a box.  Packed in salt.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 11:51:47 AM »

Are we there yet?  ...... Are we there yet?....... Are we there yet?  ......... [popcorn] [tinfoil] :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 11:57:20 AM »
Turn on Jerry Springer, I fear the off ramp was passed a while back.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 12:58:38 PM »
According to the study — which was based on online surveys of 920 youths aged 13 to 17 and nearly 11,000 adults 18 or older — only 30 percent of Generation Z respondents said they approved of President Trump’s performance; more than half believed humans were fueling climate change; and 70 percent said they wanted the government to do more to solve the nation’s problems. Those views roughly mirror attitudes held by Millennials, and together, the two age groups may add up to a powerful voting bloc at odds with Republican orthodoxy, political scientists say.
I guess I am curious how they did the online survey and how it is supposed to be representative.

Skimming some of the rest of the article, I wonder if what we really see is younger Republicans are just less authoritarian than older Republicans which might be a good thing. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 03:03:44 PM »
We're surprised that the NY Times is reporting that "young conservatives" are really liberals in sheep's clothing?

That said, I do think the younger conservative is a lot less traditionally conservative on social issues that the government has no reason to be sticking it's nose in anyway.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 08:58:27 PM »
I do volunteer work with a lot of young people. In my experience,  they tend to look at individual issues rather than party platforms.  On issues such as civil liberties, race relations, LGBTQ, reproductive rights,  immigration, I agree they are more liberal.  On other issues, including many on self defense and RKBA, more conservative.

Oh, and I always heard the quote as "if you weren't a liberal in your 20s, you have no heart. If you aren't a conservative by your 40s, you have no brain."
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 09:26:10 PM »
That is how the government schools and all media have programmed them, you’re surprised?

Being opposed to the right is where any sane person would stand.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 11:05:37 PM »
young guy I know, very active in local R politics.
Totally in support of the bump stock ban, red flag laws and gun free zones on campus.
so do most of them :mad:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 11:11:49 AM »
Most of the younger conservatives I know are very conservative in certain areas, very liberal in others (especially compared to older Republicans). With both having a very strong undercurrent of leave people the hell alone.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 11:19:28 AM »
As others have noted, the left's march through the institutions has borne fruit.

We'll see if exposure to reality lifts the veil these young Republicans have lived under in the education system or if the programming holds.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 11:24:15 AM »
I guess I am not young anymore, but I am not quite yelling at clouds yet. I typically vote R. I abhor a lot of what the left is pushing, but that doesn't mean I align with what the right wants. I don't want to live in a Mike Pence theocracy anymore than I want to live in a Kamala Harris work camp. Somebody want to start a party that is about limited federal government, states rights and non sjw equality, sign me up. And oh yeah, a party that doesn't turn out Gary Johnsons.

So while I am in poll stats a likely R voter, what exactly do they offer?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 12:21:32 PM »
I guess I am not young anymore, but I am not quite yelling at clouds yet. I typically vote R. I abhor a lot of what the left is pushing, but that doesn't mean I align with what the right wants. I don't want to live in a Mike Pence theocracy anymore than I want to live in a Kamala Harris work camp. Somebody want to start a party that is about limited federal government, states rights and non sjw equality, sign me up. And oh yeah, a party that doesn't turn out Gary Johnsons.

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 12:58:12 PM »
You guys won’t ever get your wish.

What you are describing is cargo cult USA, what we’ve already had and is currently “progressing” away.

You don’t get what you want with modern day presuppositions about reality.

Cultural and political systems will reflect the moral, religious and philosophical axioms of the people.

In short, we’re *expletive deleted*ed.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 02:15:45 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2019, 03:02:57 PM »

The weird part is, I'm pretty sure if that party appeared, they'd win in a landslide.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2019, 04:12:18 PM »
The weird part is, I'm pretty sure if that party appeared, they'd win in a landslide.

Shall we revive the Whigs ??  Modern day (Big "L") Party Libertarians only seem to care about MJ legalization but only pay lip service to everything else.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Younger Republicans are more liberal than their elders
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2019, 06:10:37 PM »
Shall we revive the Whigs ??  Modern day (Big "L") Party Libertarians only seem to care about MJ legalization but only pay lip service to everything else.
To many old moldy Cheetos.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.