Author Topic: recent Houston pd no knock raid UPDATED  (Read 10399 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: recent Houston pd no knock raid UPDATED
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2019, 06:30:28 PM »
But the two offers are still receiving their pensions, and they aren't behind bars. Justice has not been served.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2019, 09:43:45 AM »
https://newsmaven.io/pinacnews/eye-on-government/forensic-experts-no-evidence-couple-shot-at-police-in-houston-botched-drug-raid-LBNVQi-j5U-jn-4JJaLvzg/
Forensic Experts: No Evidence Couple Shot at Police in Houston Botched Drug Raid

Note: the forensic experts were hired by the family of the victims.  Just a little more info for an ongoing story.  I have not heard anything else on this.  Makes me wonder if the local authorities are trying to delay until people forget about this.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2019, 11:11:13 PM »
https://newsmaven.io/pinacnews/eye-on-government/forensic-experts-no-evidence-couple-shot-at-police-in-houston-botched-drug-raid-LBNVQi-j5U-jn-4JJaLvzg/
Forensic Experts: No Evidence Couple Shot at Police in Houston Botched Drug Raid

Note: the forensic experts were hired by the family of the victims.  Just a little more info for an ongoing story.  I have not heard anything else on this.  Makes me wonder if the local authorities are trying to delay until people forget about this.

bingo
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2019, 09:49:17 AM »
https://www.ammoland.com/2019/07/new-evidence-in-houston-no-knock-raid-where-couple-were-killed/?utm_source=Ammoland+Subscribers&utm_campaign=bc82ce0d18-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6f6fac3eaa-bc82ce0d18-21698227#axzz5vG0y9SYm

A few new facts I hadn't seen.  It doesn't look any better. 
Dennis Tuttle supposedly shot back with a .357 magnum revolver, wounding the first officer in the door. Initially, on 28 January 2019, no revolver was inventoried from the scene.

The day after the independent forensics team findings were released, on 14 May 2019, the Houston Police said the revolver was among the evidence police investigators recovered.

Police claim Rhogena attempted to take a shotgun from a wounded officer. She was shot and killed.  It is not clear if she ever touched the officer's shotgun. The independent forensic report claims she was killed by bullets fired through the wall of the home, where the person firing could not have seen her. From houstohchronicle.com 24 July 2019:

Doyle said his team had recovered the bullet that killed Nicholas, and that evidence showed she was shot by an officer standing outside of the house, who fired through a wall — meaning he would not have been able to see her — striking her as she turned away from the door, toward where her dead dog was found.

The independent investigators were able to recover a cell phone video of the event. The most provocative evidence claimed from the video, is two shots were fired almost 30 minutes after the raid started. The investigators claim it was shortly after those shots were fired, the police at the scene said that “Both suspects were down”.  The private investigators found evidence that two shots were fired inside the home, into the back wall of the dining room, from very close range, contrary to police versions of the event.

Of the last 109 cases where Officer Goines swore out search warrants, all made claims of guns, but no guns were recorded as having been seized.  From khou.com:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2019, 06:17:56 PM »
MAYBE justice will be served? (IF the prosecutor seriously presses the case in court.)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/ex-houston-police-officer-charged-with-murder-after-deadly-drug-raid/ar-AAGezH8?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=U270DHP

A former Houston police officer was hit with murder charges after allegedly lying to justify warrants for a January drug raid that killed two people and wounded five officers, prosecutors announced on Friday.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2019, 06:25:02 PM »
I heard that mentioned on the news today.  Glad to see it.  Looks like one is charged with murder and another is charges with tampering with a govt record. 

This link has video of the press conference.  Since they are publicizing this, sounds like they will follow through. 
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/former-hpd-officer-gerald-goines-charged-with-murder-in-botched-harding-street-raid

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2019, 07:02:34 PM »
Apparently awhile back the DA requested and was given $2 million in funding to add TEN people to her staff, specifically to probe this shooting and Goines' history of cases. I think they are serious, as well they should be.

That said, my cynical question is: Would they be as serious if the two residents had been killed but no police officers were wounded? I think if that had been the case, the blue wall would have gone up and would have been impenetrable. But, when a police officer's lies endanger other officers, then the gloves come off.

I saw that in operation with a small town PD near home a few years ago. I don't remember the specifics, but the general summary is that a detective did something that some other officers felt had exposed them to danger, and they basically told the chief they weren't going to work with Detective ___ any more. The detective was fired, he appealed and was given his job back, none of the other officers would work with him, so he drove a desk for two or three years until he was eligible to retire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2019, 07:50:08 PM »
That point was discussed quite a bit among people I know here and who live around Houston.  If the officer who set this up hadn't been injured, the fix would have been in. 

I would like to see a bigger point made about them NOT using cameras during the raid as well. 

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2019, 09:03:41 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30f36ijD30A

I think the technical term F.U.B.A.R
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2019, 05:18:29 PM »
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20191122/16325943436/officer-charged-with-felony-murder-now-facing-seven-more-charges-over-deadly-no-knock-raid.shtml

Officer Charged With Felony Murder Now Facing Seven More Charges Over Deadly No-Knock Raid
from the this-is-a-symptom,-not-the-disease dept
Wed, Nov 27th 2019 2:50pm — Tim Cushing
The botched drug raid in Houston that left two homeowners dead and one cop paralyzed from the waist down has resulted in additional criminal charges… against the cops.

Officer Gerald Goines -- already facing felony murder charges for the raid that left Rhogena Nicholas and Dennis Tuttle dead -- claimed an informant purchased heroin from Tuttle and saw guns in the house. One no-knock raid later, Nicholas and Tuttle were dead, killed by cops whose actions were set in motion by a warrant affidavit full of lies.

so far nothing in the main stream press that i have found, except for a ny post editorial

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2019, 05:55:36 PM »
I'm generally not in favor of the death penalty.  Generally.  The state does have the right to execute certain criminals, but they've squandered that right with too many convictions overturned when the suspect is proven to be innocent.  Even so, from I've seen of this case I'd like to see Goines get the needle.  I wonder if another cop had not been seriously injured, if there would have been any investigation here.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2019, 07:24:57 PM »
There should be many more indictments.

In the case of a murder during a robbery, everyone involved in the crime can be charged, even the unarmed guy out in the street driving the getaway car.

So too should it be in this case - every cop on the raid ought to be facing charges.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2019, 10:20:45 PM »
There should be many more indictments.

In the case of a murder during a robbery, everyone involved in the crime can be charged, even the unarmed guy out in the street driving the getaway car.

So too should it be in this case - every cop on the raid ought to be facing charges.

My immediate reaction to this was, "Why? They didn't know Goines lied to get the warrant."

Then I remembered that two more or less innocent people died. The police have guns -- lots of guns. And they have laws saying they can use those guns against people they're trying to arrest. Cops know this -- so, yes, I think it then becomes the responsibility of every officer on the team to verify that the facts underlying the warrant are true and correct. So maybe the other members of the team didn't know that Goines lied. But ... did they make any effort to find out?

In the Army, were were trained that we were a team. If any one of us screwed up, everyone was punished. A police SWAT team is basically a military (or paramilitary) unit. If they're a team, then the team should all hang together -- literally as well as figuratively.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2020, 02:46:11 AM »
yesterday was the anniversary, afaik, no convictions yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoYoH1yAjB8

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2020, 09:58:24 AM »
My immediate reaction to this was, "Why? They didn't know Goines lied to get the warrant."

Then I remembered that two more or less innocent people died. The police have guns -- lots of guns. And they have laws saying they can use those guns against people they're trying to arrest. Cops know this -- so, yes, I think it then becomes the responsibility of every officer on the team to verify that the facts underlying the warrant are true and correct. So maybe the other members of the team didn't know that Goines lied. But ... did they make any effort to find out?

In the Army, were were trained that we were a team. If any one of us screwed up, everyone was punished. A police SWAT team is basically a military (or paramilitary) unit. If they're a team, then the team should all hang together -- literally as well as figuratively.
I would point out that the officer leading the raid had a legal warrant signed by a judge.  Did the rest of them know it was obtained by lying on the warrant?  Hard to prove that.  It wouldn't surprise me to learn that similar tactics were used to obtain warrants by other officers on that drug task force and others knew the score, but it is hard to prove.

My question is why they didn't use cameras and what the circumstances were on the two people getting shot.  This article is from November.
https://texasmonitor.org/investigator-says-homeowner-killed-in-drug-raid-was-shot-in-the-back/
Investigator Mike Maloney said Wednesday that Dennis Tuttle was shot three or four times in the back during the raid, probably while retreating to the rear of his house on Harding Street in Houston after initially being shot by officers near the front of the home.

At least one shot traveled up his body, through his chest and lodged in his head, probably inflicted while he was lying on the ground, Maloney said.
Whatever happened, it seems that what HPD officers said happened during the raid does not match the evidence at the scene.  That seems to indicate more officers should be charged.  And they didn't use cameras because they didn't want their actions recorded. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2020, 10:00:17 AM »
yesterday was the anniversary, afaik, no convictions yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoYoH1yAjB8
Thanks for keeping this alive gunsmith.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2020, 12:59:19 AM »
 =(

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2021, 09:47:27 AM »
Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2021/03/update-illicit-deadly-no-knock-houston-raid-of-innocent-couple-video/#ixzz6pqezrKKg
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook
UPDATE: Illicit Deadly No-Knock Houston Raid of Innocent Couple ~ VIDEO

I saw this link and thought I would post an update.  Looks like the case is still alive and kicking but moving slow.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2024, 09:13:33 AM »
Came across this and decided to look for more recent articles.  Looks like one officer plead guilty, but the murder trial still hasn't happened and no progress on the civil lawsuit. 

https://abc13.com/five-year-anniversary-of-harding-street-raid-botched-families-rhogena-nicholas-and-dennis-tuttle-murder-trial-investigation/14368289/

In the months that followed, Goines would be charged with murder in state court and violating civil rights in federal court. Goines' then-partner, Steven Bryant, was also charged. He has since pleaded guilty in federal court but has yet to be sentenced.

Numerous other officers would also be charged, mostly with allegations of overtime theft that were uncovered as part of the investigation.

Still, on the fifth anniversary of the botched Harding Street raid, nobody has gone to trial for murder. The cases continue to drag on.

"I'm here to remind everyone that these five years, our family has been unable to receive any answers to achieve any closure," Cliff Tuttle, Dennis' uncle and a representative of the Tuttle family, said. "There's been no accountability of the City of Houston or the officers to explain and take ownership of this murder."