Author Topic: One of the largest at-home DNA testing companies is giving the FBI access  (Read 860 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
One of the largest at-home DNA testing companies is giving the FBI access to its records  [tinfoil]
https://www.theblaze.com/news/at-home-dna-company-fbi
 :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: One of the largest at-home DNA testing companies is giving the FBI access
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 02:29:04 PM »
All your DNA are belong to us.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 03:04:56 PM »
Gee, who could've seen that coming . . .

:facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 03:13:41 PM »
Oh wait, the story is coming from BuzzFeed, they could say the sky is blue and I would question it.
Could be, or not, an attempt at another "SEE WHAT ORANGE MAN IS DOING?!"

And I'm getting a 404 on the Buzzfeed link
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 03:22:06 PM »
Ok, someone must have caught them in yet another lie...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Unisaw

• friend
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 05:44:32 PM »
There it is. Article still has a bad link.
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 06:16:53 PM »
They don't even need to get your DNA sampled.  You can be all paranoid libertarian privacy wonk, and your ditzy relative with the nipple tats does her 23-and-me ("What 3rd World Dunghill Country Are You From?"), and they get close enough.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 08:42:39 PM »
Yeah, I will probably still do 23 and me. Military has my DNA, some they lost too. If a cop wants your DNA, they will get it, even if they have to steal your trash. Be sure to leave DNA not yours at the crime scene. :D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 08:45:44 PM »
Thankfully, I can't see any way this could possibly be abused. ;/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 08:47:17 PM »
Gee, who could've seen that coming . . .

:facepalm:

Yeah, quality and veracity of the news source notwithstanding, it would be a reasonable assumption up front anyhow.

Maybe the FBI is just accessing their public records like you or I would, but the news slimeballs are calling it "providing" the data to the FBI.  EEEK!

Terry

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 10:08:38 PM »
It's too bad our most extensive family tree is uploaded to FTdna. Other sites have been used by law enforcement in the past but apparently not with the same glee as FTdna. I agree that it's merely the next logical step in law enforcement and get regular updates from other DNA websites I've used regarding their privacy policy. The cat is out of the bag but most others are at least paying lip service to privacy. It's unfortunate that we have attempted to use these private businesses for personal reasons, medical reasons, entertainment (ethnicity estimates), and occasionally for private matters that require discretion, just to have The Law butt in. Users beware.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

230RN

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 01:09:30 AM »
^ "entertainment (ethnicity estimates),"

Funny, considering recent claims by a prominent party as to his/her/its Indian roots.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:45:30 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 08:35:29 AM »
This is my shocked face that people didn't see this coming...

;/
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 08:45:46 AM »
A buddy of mine got arrested for something a couple of years ago and said they swabbed the inside of his cheeks.  He said he asked about it and they said it was a test for TB.  But he thought that was the way they got DNA testing samples, as described in the Olympic games testing for gender which was in the news.

I told him I didn't know what was going on, kind of forgot about it until the recent advertisements for DNA "Roots" testing described the same process for getting  your own DNA sample.  This thread brought the question up in my mind again.

So, is that indeed a method of testing for TB?  Or were they just lying to him in order to sneakily capture a DNA sample?

Terry

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 10:09:09 AM »
^^^In recent years, oral swabs have been developed that can test for pulmonary TB in adults. I can see how correctional facilities would be fans of testing incoming clients for TB.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 02:51:53 AM »
OK, thanks again, MillCreek.

Info passed on.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 09:16:57 PM »
Authorities have said the DNA tied former police officer Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, to most of the 12 killings he is accused of committing between 1976 and 1986 as part of the Golden State Killer case.

Investigators also allege DeAngelo raped more than 50 women during that period.

in the GSK case ( golden state killer ) iirc the cops had his DNA from a few of his many crimes, and simply sent it to "ancestry dnaDOTcom" or some such site, anonymously and discovered that he had relatives who had submitted DNA in search all the stuff the ads mention like your real ancestry.
These sites also tell people about relatives who have submitted DNA.
So, they got enough info from all the investigations  and DNA to crack the case.

This was one of my objections to obamacare, a .gov website database with DNA is a recipe for eugenics genocide.
Unfortunately, we all have naive relatives no matter how well we guard our DNA being entered into databases.

In the case of GSK, that was hilarious... He almost got away with it - when he was a cop he resigned after being caught stealing rope and duct tape, and was soon forgotten about ... if he had been convicted and fired and there was a record, somebody might have gotten a clue that rope and tape is also a rape kit.

I can't recall who, but another serial killer was also caught the same way.

I think the cat is out of the bag with DNA - your idiot relative has already submitted theirs
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."