Author Topic: CPAP Mask Problems: Any of you CPAP users...  (Read 1460 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
CPAP Mask Problems: Any of you CPAP users...
« on: February 05, 2019, 08:26:01 AM »
have a Fisher & Paykel Brevida Nasal Pillow Mask?

I'm just about at my wit's end with this thing.

No matter what I do I can only get a decent nasal seal about 1 night in 10. The tracking metrics on my machine give me "ADJUST MASK SEAL, LEAKING TOO MUCH!!!!" just about every damned night.

Only, it seems as if this mask is intentionally designed not to allow a seal for more than 2.5 seconds at a stretch.

My biggest gripes about it so far is:

It sucks for side sleeping. If you try to move on your side the mask slips and the seal is lost.

The headgear straps have virtually zero holding power. They're incredibly narrow, and tend to slip no matter where you have them positioned. When the straps slip, the mask slips and the seal is lost.

If you tighten down on the straps to the point where they adequately hold the mask in place, it crushes the mask and the seal is lost.

The hose attaches in such a manner as to constantly torque the mask in such a manner that the seal is lost. If you position the hose so that it is a neutral position and placing no stress on the mask, it invariably moves when you move, torquing the mast and the seal is lost.

Oh, and last, no matter where the mask is positioned on my head, the straps cut ACROSS my *expletive deleted*ing eyes. That's incredibly annoying when trying to read.

I've gone through I don't know how many different videos and the like on proper fitting and I'm at my wit's end. I really want to like this mask simply because the pillows are so incredibly comfortable.

But the fact that I can't get or keep a decent mask seal for more than a few minutes at a time is really forcing me to go back to my old Philips Nuance Gel Pro mask and pillows. I loved that thing, but my CPAP provider stopped carrying it, so I'll have to pay for it out of my own pocket.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: CPAP Mask Problems: Any of you CPAP users...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 08:33:42 AM »
I was going to suggest trying the Phillips but I see you already have. I’ve experienced the same thing with the Phillips but not enough to be a deal breaker. 

Mine lasts nearly a year, the nasal pillows less than that. I picked mine up on Amazon.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 09:07:05 AM »
I have no experience with the nasal masks.  I have the full mask that covers mouth and nose and it works well enough.  However, sometimes either mask is old and doesn't seal on my face or the hose/mask seal point leaks a lot and bugs me.  I usually have enough spare masks and get spare hoses often enough. 

I recently got a ozone sanitizer device and a travel CPAP so I have something new to play with.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 09:08:16 AM »
The Nuance Pro gel pillow mask is the first one I had when I started CPAP use back in 2015 and I took to it immediately.

Just before my CPAP unit died last year I called in to my supplier to get more stuff and they were dropping it.

I'm going to call the guy I work with at the supply company this morning and get his take on it, but I'm 99% certain I'm done with this Brevida mask. I'll keep it as a reserve, but it's just not suitable.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 09:10:31 AM »
I have no experience with the nasal masks.  I have the full mask that covers mouth and nose and it works well enough.  However, sometimes either mask is old and doesn't seal on my face or the hose/mask seal point leaks a lot and bugs me.  I usually have enough spare masks and get spare hoses often enough.  

I recently got a ozone sanitizer device and a travel CPAP so I have something new to play with.

I got the SoClean machine either early last year or late the year before. My deep chest cough disappeared in 3 days after I started using it. I simply wasn't cleaning the machine adequately.

I don't know why sleep doctors don't suggest SoCleans as a matter of course. When a friend of mine said that they were eligible for HSA dollars (which I never thought about) I bought one that day.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 09:54:35 AM by Mike Irwin »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 09:48:04 AM »
I used HSA dollars myself.  Realizing I could do that was the reason I went ahead and bought it. 

I have found that if I keep the hoses and masks fairly new, I don't get a lot of crud from using them.  Once they get a few months old, I can't clean them enough.  I will see how it does with this new cleaner.  Just got it yesterday.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 09:59:39 AM »
Trust me, you'll find the SoClean to be a freaking miracle machine.

I thought I was keeping ahead of my CPAP cleaning, but I apparently wasn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination. As I said, within 3 days of using the machine the deep hacking cough (and associated sputum spewing) that I attributed to my smoking... went away.

I also just got off the phone with the respiratory therapist at my supplier. He agrees that from looking at the telemetry that my machine sends out the Brevida mask isn't working for me, so I'm going with the Swift FX mask, which is very similar to the Philips Nuance mask. I looked it up and it also (like the Nuance) is listed as one of the best masks for side sleepers...

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 10:06:25 AM »
Not familiar with that mask... only suggestion is to try loosening the straps a bit- too tight is more likely to cause leaks than a bit loose.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 10:25:20 AM »
Swift FX is a good mask.  Also check out the AirFit P10, that's what I use now and I keep my old SFX for a backup.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 10:33:55 AM »
Not familiar with that mask... only suggestion is to try loosening the straps a bit- too tight is more likely to cause leaks than a bit loose.

I've tried every conceivable level of tightness from cinched down so tight that my eyes were bulging to so loose that when I sat up in bed the mask fell away from my nose.

My machine works with an app to provide "scoring" on a variety of usage metrics, including leakage, that are tallied to give a nightly "sleep score."

The mask score is out of 20 points based on the amount of leakage that you're getting. The worse the mask adjustment, generally, the worse the leakage.

Most nights I score between 3 and 5, which corresponds to massive leaks in the 30 to 50 L per minute rate.

Only 4 or 5 times in 3 months have I gotten a nightly score of 15 or better, and I've only gotten a perfect score once -- a few nights ago when I was so tired (I was sick with a stomach bug) that I fell asleep on my back and I'm pretty sure I didn't move the entire night.

After talking with the respiratory therapist he agrees -- the Brevida mask simply is not suitable for me or my sleep needs, and no amount of microfucking with the straps and other adjustments are going to change that. If I haven't hit on a solution in 3 months, I'm not going to hit on a solution in 30 months.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 10:41:25 AM »
I just pulled the full therapy report available from the app...

Average air leak rate of 35 L per minute over the term use of the machine. That's no good. Essentially I'm only getting limited effectiveness from my therapy regime.

With the old machine/mask I seem to recall that my average nightly leak rate was in the single digits.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 10:50:51 AM »
Does this have anything to do with shaving?  (I ask because I had to shave off my beard once for a job requiring a respirator mask.)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 11:12:18 AM »
No.

This is not a face mask, it's a snout mask in that it rests on the underside of your nose and seals there. It doesn't seal AROUND your nose.

I have a mustache and had ZERO problems with the old nasal mask that sealed the exact same way.

This is all about mask design.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 12:12:16 PM »
OK, thanks for explanation. Just curious. Not familiar with that process, thank goodness.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 06:03:09 PM »
Most likely because I went to law school, I am frequently a mouth breather when I sleep.  So, I have a mask that covers my mouth and nose.  It doesn't work well if my facial hair is more than 3-4 days of growth, so I have to shave at least 3 times a week.  What I'm curious about are the capabilities of your newer machines.  I'm running a 10 year old Phillips.  Maybe I need to find a new sleep doc (mine moved away six years ago...)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

230RN

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 06:21:48 PM »
^ "Most likely because I went to law school, I am frequently a mouth breather when I sleep."

I don't get it.  Is that a lawyer joke?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 06:38:56 PM »
^ "Most likely because I went to law school, I am frequently a mouth breather when I sleep."

And a window licker when on the short bus to work!?!?!  =D

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 07:49:58 PM »
: I'm running a 10 year old Phillips.  Maybe I need to find a new sleep doc (mine moved away six years ago...)"

Gee, ya think?

Would you wear the same contact lenses for 10 years straight without going to a doctor?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 09:23:31 PM »

Yes, a lawyer joke...lawyer = mouth breathing idiot...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 09:26:57 PM »
: I'm running a 10 year old Phillips.  Maybe I need to find a new sleep doc (mine moved away six years ago...)"

Gee, ya think?

Would you wear the same contact lenses for 10 years straight without going to a doctor?

Give me a break.  I'm using the SoClean, and replace parts as needed...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2019, 10:19:55 PM »
Even if you clean them every day changes in your body may make the CPAP less effective, or simply not effective anymore.

You have no idea what is happening when you fall asleep.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 08:38:47 AM »
Spent almost 20 *expletive deleted*ing minutes adjusting and messing with the mask last night.

Woke up at least 4 times because it had pulled off my face.

Sleep score for mask fit (based on air leaks)? 4 out of 20.

So through with this mask.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 01:34:16 PM »
Still haven't heard back from my durable medical provider about the new mask to replace the Brevida...

So, after yet ANOTHER crappy mask night with it slipping off multiple times, I used my HSA card to order a Philips Nuance Gel Pro mask, the same kind I had when I first started using the CPAP.

It should be here today.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 02:32:02 PM »
Still haven't heard back from my durable medical provider about the new mask to replace the Brevida...

So, after yet ANOTHER crappy mask night with it slipping off multiple times, I used my HSA card to order a Philips Nuance Gel Pro mask, the same kind I had when I first started using the CPAP.

It should be here today.

I hope you invested in a Snickers to go with it.   :angel:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 06:57:24 PM »
So of course about an hour after I ordered the Philips mask my durable products company calls me to confirm my order on the other mask.

But, it's 7 to 10 days to get it from them, whereas the Philips mask I ordered was waiting for me last evening when I got home from a walk with Seren.

Hooked it up and...

My mask fit score this morning was 15 out of 20.