Author Topic: Helicopter hog hunting?  (Read 1784 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Helicopter hog hunting?
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 04:01:05 PM »
Because I like to learn something every day, what is considered the optimum rifle and handgun cartridges for wild pigs?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2019, 04:18:59 PM »
Because I like to learn something every day, what is considered the optimum rifle and handgun cartridges for wild pigs?

You just need something fast enough to set off the Tannerite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7OoXgcnczQ

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2019, 06:25:26 PM »

I don't know about optimum, but most helo hog hunts use ARs in 5.56.  Some use shotguns or 7.62 rifles as well.  I think the helo hunts are more about volume of fire than effective hits.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 06:28:31 PM »
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/wildlifedamage/operational-activities/feral-swine/sa-fs-history

A deer gun with sturdier bullets ought to work fine right? Only thing I don't like about helo hog hunting is the high probability of not clean kills. I would prefer that everyone took a hot and made it into artisanal bacon from a brush Pat h you've probably never heard of, but the sad fact is normal hunting pressure will never eradicate these piggies and shooting them from a helo en masse is needed.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2019, 06:37:38 PM »
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/wildlifedamage/operational-activities/feral-swine/sa-fs-history

A deer gun with sturdier bullets ought to work fine right? Only thing I don't like about helo hog hunting is the high probability of not clean kills. I would prefer that everyone took a hot and made it into artisanal bacon from a brush Pat h you've probably never heard of, but the sad fact is normal hunting pressure will never eradicate these piggies and shooting them from a helo en masse is needed.

So you're saying they should be using Vietnam-era Hueys with door gunners on both sides firing .50 cal Ma Deuces.

Or Puff the Magic Dragon ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2019, 06:39:50 PM »
I just got an email from Nosler, they are having a bulk sale on ammo. If you are using 223 I bet that 62gr Varmegeddon with be just the ticket on hogs. Stock up now.

https://shop.nosler.com/nosler-ammunition-ammo/bulk-ammunition/shopby/utm_source//utm_campaign//utm_medium//utm_term//mc_cid//mc_eid/.html

bob

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2019, 02:46:38 PM »

There is a guy that used to do closed range hunts on his ranch for pigs about 10 miles from me, I suppose some of them could have escaped. I will be looking for them whenever I go out Coyote hunting.

bob

I'm curious:  Do they respond to varmint calls?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2019, 04:07:07 PM »
I'm curious:  Do they respond to varmint calls?

That is a good question, I wouldn't think so unless you had a pig distress call and even then would they care because they are not predators. I know a coyote pup distress call will bring the males running from far away, especially in the early spring.

Hogs I know nothing about except the ones that were outside the Chiefs Club at 32nd Street in San Diego at 2am. You don't want to know my memories of some of those encounters.  =(

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2019, 05:07:24 PM »
I don't know about optimum, but most helo hog hunts use ARs in 5.56.  Some use shotguns or 7.62 rifles as well.  I think the helo hunts are more about volume of fire than effective hits.
I guess it depends on if you want to just kill them or if you want to drop them to skin for meat.  I know a couple people who have shot more than one with 22 LR and it was effective.  They just ran away before dying.  223 should work fine for inflicting a mortal wound. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2019, 07:20:22 PM »
You might want to go with something bigger if you want the DRT, rather than  having to blood track them a long, long way until they bleed out.   They are some tough critters.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2019, 07:26:37 PM »
You might want to go with something bigger if you want the DRT, rather than  having to blood track them a long, long way until they bleed out.   They are some tough critters.

If you watch the videos they seem to drop pretty well to the .223.  Though that may be with multiple hits.  But from a chopper I don't think you have to punch through the gristle plate on the shoulder since you're shooting from above.

A custom butcher I know dispatches pigs with a .22mag.  Granted that is from about 2ft and going straight into the brain.  And he waits for the perfect shot.