Author Topic: Why I keep everything forever  (Read 649 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Why I keep everything forever
« on: February 16, 2019, 09:36:22 PM »
Since buying the 4 door Jeep rubicon in November, I’ve been considering some mods and what I want to do with it. I used to do a lot of Jeep camping and fishing and back country exploring. I like tent camping and open fire cooking.
My wife used to join me but she said she is done with outhouses (or none) and no private showers etc.
She says she doesn’t care if I sometimes take off though.
I started sorting through my old camping stuff, some of it 40 years old. It might be vintage but it’s still good serviceable stuff for car camping. I was searching the darkest recesses of the barn for a big tool box to mount on a trailer tongue and found some long forgotten tool boxes that used to be mounted inside the enclosed car hauler when I did antique car shows. I took them out of the 20’ enclosed trailer when I sold it in 2000. Cleaned them up and they are perfect fit for essential kit in the back of the rubicon.
I also went thru my scrap steel and welded a sweet canoe carrier for the receiver hitch and material for a compact campfire grate that is tomorrow’s project. I didn’t leave home today but have a pile of kit to sort and assemble and I have everything I need for a weekend solo camp and fish when the weather breaks. I’m 61 next week been married almost 30 years and haven’t done this stuff for years. I’m feeling like a kid just putting it together.
Wife is shaking her head but has no objections at this time.
Stay tuned...
What we have here is failure to communicate.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Why I keep everything forever
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 08:49:41 AM »
That is fantastic.  My girls have been asking about our spring camping trip and I’m trying to decide if my youngest is ready for a long, hike-in primitive.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 08:57:09 AM »
Good find.
threadjack
Many campgrounds anymore have pretty nice facilities, flush toilets, and hot showers.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 09:38:59 AM »
Years ago we had a nice little 18’ camper that was perfect for the 2 of us and was adequate for 4 when the girls were young enough to want to go with us. We sold it after we renovated our current house in the country because being home was better than busy campgrounds with different music from all directions, loud drunks and noisy kids running all over. I’m interested in getting back to tent camping and some fishing without all the commotion. The campgrounds with facilities all have electric and all the distractions. By myself I can be quite happy and well fed with nothing but a few square feet of level ground.
When I was growing up, my best friend and I camped and bush crafted and fished and hunted whenever we could. In college, I spent many weekends camping canoeing fishing in places with few people and no electricity.
Maybe this is just me trying to rediscover something besides my 50 year old Coleman stove and lantern

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 11:19:08 AM »
The tent sites at Ferne Clyffe State Park are pretty quiet.

It’s a nice place to hike if you like hiking.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 11:41:28 AM »
"Keeping everything forever" and a semi-hoarding mentality are actually pretty good attitudes to have on a country property. I've done lots of bush fixes and saved trips to the store for something new by rooting around in one "junk pile" or another.

Well, it's good until you move, then it sucks.  :lol:

I've been spending a few hours a week doing some early packing in the storage rooms and stuff, and all those "junk piles" and "parts piles" are daunting. I know I would have a use for a bunch of it at the new place (eventually), but I'm leaning towards a dump run and just starting fresh at the new Festung, even if it means plenty of trips to stores for new stuff for a few years until I build up new piles.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 12:25:19 PM »
I won't deny the semi hoarding label. It would be a concern if we ever move. My son in law runs a trucking business warehouse and freight. I would probably have him deliver us a few shipping containers.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 12:36:56 PM »
The tent sites at Ferne Clyffe State Park are pretty quiet.

It’s a nice place to hike if you like hiking.

I've spent many a second deer season over there...completely by myself, and going down into the valley alone.  I love Ferne Clyffe.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 10:08:41 AM »
I do a lot fewer fixemup projects nowadays, but time was if I found a piece of junk, looked at it from every angle and threw it away anyhow, I would surely find a use for it within a month or so.  :facepalm:

Since I don't handyman much any more, the equilibrium between junk in and junk out has shifted toward having more junk than I could ever use or need.

Terry

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 10:27:20 AM »
I've got scrap steel and often useful junk and it wouldn't bother me to load it all up and take it to the scrapyard.
What would really bother me to liquidate are all my tools, welding equipment and supplies, camping, fishing, hunting and reloading stuff. It's not a small amount. Lead and many other bullets I could sell rather than move because we are probably estimating over 1000 pounds. Brass fills 5 gal buckets and ammo cans and some of those are the mortar and rocket cans. If I only kept loaded ammo .22 through 12g I would still have over 1000 pounds. A 12x12' reloading and gun room is currently full even though I have sold some guns and am now under 40 total.
And then I have a fishing boat and a canoe, and a really good utility tractor with implements and attachments, Honda Atv, ...
Or I could have the mother of all estate sales but if I give up everything I might as well just die.
Wife and I have been talking retirement and relocation. She wants to downsize a lot first but all she cares about are her cookbook library and kitchen things. I can sense a dilemma on the horizon if not some conflict.