Author Topic: Dune’s Paul Atreides Is the Ultimate Mighty Whitey  (Read 1399 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Dune’s Paul Atreides Is the Ultimate Mighty Whitey
« on: February 10, 2019, 08:56:27 AM »
Dune is all about the power of whiteness
And also according to the article is C3P0   :facepalm:

But why is Paul so ridiculously amazing and terrifying? The answer is pretty straightforward. It’s because he’s white.

Dune’s Paul Atreides Is the Ultimate Mighty Whitey
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/02/08/dunes-paul-atreides-is-the-ultimate-mighty-whitey/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Dune’s Paul Atreides Is the Ultimate Mighty Whitey
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:20:06 AM »
 :facepalm:

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:26:51 AM »
Noah Berlatsky is the author of Wonder Woman: Bondage and Feminism in the Marston/Peter Comics, 1941-1948.
Somebody needs to get a life and a real job. 

Maybe he/xhe/that/whatever could learn to code.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 11:18:19 AM »
In our modern world race is a human construct.

There are no races.

There is only humanity, and the white people who must be put in subjection to the rest of humanity.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 05:32:12 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 09:23:40 AM »
The fremen are white people too.

They are inspired by arab culture.

And arabs are also white people.

And the dumbest thing about this article is that is misses the point of Herbet's Dune series... that heroes are disastrous for humanity.  He spent the first books building up Paul, and the rest of the series showing the horrible consequences of a "messiah."  It is not a glorification of Paul (or white people  >:D) at all.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 02:21:04 PM »
This appears to be mainly a plug for Empire of Sand.

Note that an Amazon link to buy EoS is in the article, but a link to buy Dune is not.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 03:14:01 PM »
The author hasn't read Tarzan, either. At no point in the books does he return to the "savages" and become a better "savage" and rule them.

Especially since he was raised by animals, not humans. I'm betting his understanding of Dune and Tarzan are all coming from the movies.

Now, in Tarzan, there is the undercurrent of "noble blood" showing through in his intellect, but that's classism, not racism. I'm certain the Burroughs would have thought a commoner of any race would have failed to overcome his upbringing, but the "nobility" would triumph.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 04:46:39 PM »
The author hasn't read Tarzan, either. At no point in the books does he return to the "savages" and become a better "savage" and rule them.

Especially since he was raised by animals, not humans. I'm betting his understanding of Dune and Tarzan are all coming from the movies.

Now, in Tarzan, there is the undercurrent of "noble blood" showing through in his intellect, but that's classism, not racism. I'm certain the Burroughs would have thought a commoner of any race would have failed to overcome his upbringing, but the "nobility" would triumph.
At the time Tarzan was written, that was not an uncommon view.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 05:36:45 PM »

I remember that he ends up being head man for a particularly "noble" tribe of black people.

But he does so as a civilized white man, not as one of them.

The Tarzan books has plenty of savage black people. It also has lots of savage white people, civilized black people, white people, degenerates, primitives, etc...

If one is to go by "race" being noble, primitive, savage, degenerate, or whatever(such as a couple cases of extreme sexual dimorphism) in the Tarzan series, one pretty much needs to shift race down to tribe or a relatively small geographical location.  Africa in the Tarzan universe should be at least 10x the IRL size to fit everything in.  Coloration is only a small aspect.