Author Topic: For no important reason, I present the Mr. Coffee Wikipedia page.  (Read 2618 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
I was very young when these appeared.

I do remember that my mom was on the Mr. Coffee bandwagon from the earliest days.

Prior to this machine, coffee was primarily made in a percolator which often gave it a bitter and burned flavor. The new Mr. Coffee machine produced a much more uniform brewing temperature which resulted in a much better flavor.

Still though, the form factor for percolators is much more attractive than the Mr. Coffee machine and the Keurig and most other coffee makers.

I hope this potentially controversial opinion of mine does not tear this forum apart.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: For no important reason, I present the Mr. Coffee Wikipedia page.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 05:24:01 PM »
Can cornbread be served with coffee?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 05:35:22 PM »
Can cornbread be served with coffee?

Only if you're carrying a gun in a real caliber like .45ACP.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 05:38:19 PM »
Only if you're carrying a gun in a real caliber like .45ACP.

A .45ACP 1911 goes with a properly made pot of coffee. If you're gonna get a Mr Coffee, get a Glock.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 06:16:22 PM »
So does that mean a 9mm HK gets a grande caramel macchiato and a scone?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 06:36:59 PM »
So does that mean a 9mm HK gets a grande caramel macchiato and a scone?

Dad gaffawed.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 07:52:24 PM »

I do remember that my mom was on the Mr. Coffee bandwagon from the earliest days.

My parents had a percolator up until I graduated from college. I remember when the percolator died and my mom calling me to ask me what brand my coffee maker was because she wasn't going to spend $50 a replacement. My parents only owned 2 perculators since they got married, 1st one was a wedding gift and the 2nd one appeared in the mid 80s when the first one died. They always said that coffee wasn't as good out of a "instant" coffee maker compared to a percolator. I was quite shocked when they said they were making the switch.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 08:09:52 PM »
I've never liked coffee out of a drip coffee maker, it always tastes bitter & burnt to me.  For years I used a peculator to make my coffee despite an unfortunate event between eight month old me and one.  About 10 years ago I switched to a french press for my coffee and never looked back.

Sadly it looks like I have to give up coffee entirely since it seems to be a triggering sudden rotational vertigo.   Oh well.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 11:14:47 PM »
I'm not a coffee drinker.

Dad is. But he commits what all of you'll would consider the ultimate coffee sin and has no shame (and no taste buds)

He drinks generic brand instant coffee.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 11:44:50 PM »
I won't talk about instant coffee, because it isn't, but for generic real coffee Walmart store brand is a decent and low acid choice. Better than charbucks. But then again so is Sheetz coffee, or just plain dirty dishwater.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 11:57:42 PM »
I won't talk about instant coffee, because it isn't, but for generic real coffee Walmart store brand is a decent and low acid choice. Better than charbucks. But then again so is Sheetz coffee, or just plain dirty dishwater.

You aren't fooling me.

You would drink the dirty dish water to get your fix if you had to.

^actual picture of French

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 09:21:57 AM »
French press FTW.

I recently broke my glass container for my Bodum french press, but was gifted a Stanley one as a replacement.  It's Stanley puke green like the thermoses and it is mildly insulated to keep coffee warm.

It is my precious.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 09:25:10 AM »
My Grandparents made coffee in one of those all glass, aluminum interior, percolators for years. It would sit on the stove on warm most of the day while Grandma and Grandpa worked on it.

Grandpa was particularly impervious to bad coffee. He had been a career railroader and there was alway a big percolator of coffee sitting on the stove in the caboose and, often, a big container of brewed coffee in the engine keeping warm by the firebox for the engineer and fireman.

They got a Mr. Coffee close to when it first came out and that took the place of the old percolator. Made for much better coffee, too.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 09:29:21 AM »
When I was a kid my Mom drank instant Nescafe. My Grandparents (the percolator ones) would occasionally drink Postum  [barf] when they decided that they needed to cut down on their caffeine intake or didn't want to make a full pot.

I finally got Mom drinking real coffee sometime in the 1980s or 1990s. Got her a French Press and a bean grinder and some decent coffee beans.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 09:33:42 AM »
I love good coffee, and I happen to be, as Mike said "impervious to bad coffee."  I might not enjoy the flavor but I always enjoy the caffeine.  

That said, the best coffee, IMO is cold brew coffee.  It's the smoothest most coffee-flavored coffee I've ever had, without a trace of bitterness.  Making it couldn't be any simpler, you just put coarse-ground coffee in water and let it sit in the fridge overnight.  It does use more coffee per cup, as it were, but not significantly more and I think it's well worth it.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 09:38:01 AM »
"I happen to be, as Mike said "impervious to bad coffee."'

Oh man, not me. When I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union back in the 1990s their coffee was the second worst I've ever had. The absolute worst came from a diner somewhere in New Jersey. It thing it was roast ground mobsters.

I also can't stomach Dunkin Donuts coffee that you get from the shops itself. It's undrinkable.

The beans that they sell in grocery stores make somewhat better coffee, but it's not my favorite.

Oddly enough, Food Lion's beans made a passable pot of coffee. Not great, but not terrible.

My favorite is still Komodo Dragon from Starbucks. It's an incredible cup of coffee. Haven't had one in quite awhile... since I started my diet. Need to rectify that.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 09:47:07 AM »
I do like some decent coffee. But my daily drink of choice is Nescafe. Even though it's instant, it's still better to me than a lot of the lesser quality beans. I'll take it any day over Folgers, for example.

My GF got me a bag of the Valhalla Java Odinforce Blend from Deathwishcoffee for Christmas. It was good stuff.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »
Oh... I forgot about Folgers. That is some serious crap.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 10:07:02 AM »
Picked up some Starbucks French Roast whole beans and discovered that stuff actually cleans the coffee stains off the pot. It freaked me out the first time I noticed.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 11:40:32 AM »
A fair bit of taste issues come from the water, not the coffee. It's amazing how much the taste of even mediocre coffee improves when good water is used.

Until about ten years ago, Lubbock had some of the nastiest tasting water on the planet. It was like drinking a mouth full of dirt and made even the best coffee and tea taste like crap. It was so bad it even altered the taste of things like condensed soup. Our tap water's taste is now much improved but use of RO water, or at the very least carbon-filtered, still has a noticeably positive effect on flavors.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 11:53:44 AM »
Regarding bitter coffee...

You can really cut down on the bitterness if you toss in a pinch of salt during brewing.

I saw it on an episode of, IIRC, Good Eats and thought it was crap until I tried it. Really did help smooth it out.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 12:06:08 PM »
Regarding bitter coffee...

You can really cut down on the bitterness if you toss in a pinch of salt during brewing.

I saw it on an episode of, IIRC, Good Eats and thought it was crap until I tried it. Really did help smooth it out.

I have heard of that but never tried it. Once in a while for kicks I like to make cowboy coffee. Next time I do, I'm gonna try the salt. Is it literally just a pinch?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 12:15:30 PM »
Black Rifle Coffee is pretty good stuff.   I've only tried the freedom fuel but it was good when percolated.

"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 12:16:08 PM »

My GF got me a bag of the Valhalla Java Odinforce Blend from Deathwishcoffee for Christmas. It was good stuff.

That's top shelf,  love Odinforce.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 12:23:01 PM »
I have heard of that but never tried it. Once in a while for kicks I like to make cowboy coffee. Next time I do, I'm gonna try the salt. Is it literally just a pinch?

Obviously it depends on how much coffee you're making, but I've never gone more than 1/4 t. per the 6 cup "pot" I make to take to work most mornings, so that would work out to probably a scant pinch per cup.

Lots of information at this google link, including a bunch on Alton Brown...

https://www.google.com/search?q=adding+salt+to+coffee&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS833US833&oq=adding+salt+to+coffee&aqs=chrome..69i57.2912j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8