Author Topic: And the police wonder why people don't respect them  (Read 3106 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
And the police wonder why people don't respect them
« on: February 11, 2019, 02:33:40 PM »
https://www.abc15.com/news/local-news/investigations/abuse-of-force-body-camera-video-shows-man-tased-11-times-by-glendale-officers

Passenger in a car stopped for an alleged turn signal violation is assaulted by five cops, kicked in the gonads, and tasered 11 times (including one directly applied to the testicles). Cops were not terminated.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: And the police wonder why people don't respect them
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 03:06:20 PM »
It's seems the assaulted man was a criminal, by his conviction for an unrelated copper theft.

All that does is to remind me that most abuses by the authorities will be towards the "undesireables."

Having watched that video, I wish I could say I'm surprised the officer isn't charged with a crime, but since the police almost never are held accountable, I can't. But the officer clearly assaulted the passenger.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 03:54:21 PM »
I might need more information, but from the video alone, I'm kinda 60/40 on it. 60% the cop's fault on the going overboard around the last half, plus the unneeded MFer yelling and stuff. Plus the stun gun in the nuts was uncalled for. The passenger was pretty stupid though, and I have to assign 40% of the blame on escalation to him. There were plenty of times  he could have just shut up that would have eliminated the tasering altogether, then more times when he should have just gone limp and eliminated any more tasering. Then he could have gotten himself an attorney.

To me he looked like he was clearly fighting and resisting through part of that. That's just dumb under those circumstances.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:13:04 PM »
I might need more information, but from the video alone, I'm kinda 60/40 on it. 60% the cop's fault on the going overboard around the last half, plus the unneeded MFer yelling and stuff. Plus the stun gun in the nuts was uncalled for. The passenger was pretty stupid though, and I have to assign 40% of the blame on escalation to him. There were plenty of times  he could have just shut up that would have eliminated the tasering altogether, then more times when he should have just gone limp and eliminated any more tasering. Then he could have gotten himself an attorney.

To me he looked like he was clearly fighting and resisting through part of that. That's just dumb under those circumstances.

I dunno about that guy's frame of mind, as you say he's a criminal.  But for my money, if you are going to get jackbooted and messed with and are thinking about an attorney, a little getting tased can only help the jury award and/or settlement.

As far as the situation I'm not split on it at all.  That officer had no reason to talk to the passenger, and Wheatcroft could, and should, have told him to *expletive deleted*ck right off and then rolled up the window after "then we can go down to the station and fingerprint you".  The cop is a power-tripping ass, and he figured (correctly) that as long as he only *expletive deleted*s with criminals nothing much will happen. 

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 04:30:43 PM »
As far as the situation I'm not split on it at all.  That officer had no reason to talk to the passenger, and Wheatcroft could, and should, have told him to *expletive deleted*ck right off and then rolled up the window after "then we can go down to the station and fingerprint you".  The cop is a power-tripping ass, and he figured (correctly) that as long as he only *expletive deleted*s with criminals nothing much will happen. 

I agree with you, but what have the courts said?  Do passengers in a vehicle have to show their ID, etc?   
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 04:32:25 PM »
As I recall passengers fall under the same rules as pedestrians. You don't need ID, but you must tell them your name if they ask.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 05:25:45 PM »
I agree with you, but what have the courts said?  Do passengers in a vehicle have to show their ID, etc?   

Doesn't that vary by state? I recall a video - maybe here or maybe THR, where a CA cop stopped a guy walking down the street open carrying (back when it was allowed in CA). The guy had no ID and no CA requirement to show one. He was kind of an ass to the cop, but the cop was super polite to him and everything ended peacefully after a 10 or so minute conversation.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 05:30:59 PM »

No, they do not.

Terry v. Ohio.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 05:32:02 PM »
As I recall passengers fall under the same rules as pedestrians. You don't need ID, but you must tell them your name if they ask.
reasonable suspicion you have committed a crime.

Varies by state, but you only need to tell them who you are if they have

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 05:37:10 PM »

I understand your POV. With more information I may lean that way. Though at some point for stuff at this level, I look at it as "Is this something you want to fall on your sword for?"

That video was buffering weird for me, so I don't want to sit through it again to see, but where do we think that was going if the passenger had just answered the cop's questions? I wasn't sure if the cop was going to take him downtown simply for no ID or if the trouble started when the guy kept talking. Not that he doesn't have a right to, but again, was it a "draw the line" situation?

The cop started out quite calm and polite. It wasn't until the guy started getting squirrely that the cop went out of control.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 06:17:33 PM »
I'm a little surprised the body cam footage wasn't "accidentally" lost or erased ...
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 07:00:31 PM »
That is one jury I'd lovvvvve to be on. That's downright unconscionable. The officers should be in friggin jail.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 10:12:53 AM »
I believe that Government has an interest in having and keeping people like that on the Police force. Having such personalities on board + conditioning them to feel (and actually be) unaccountable for their actions ensures that you have staff on hand that will go the distance if society starts to get frisky with authority. If that guy was ordered to disperse a crowd with live fire do you think he wouldn't?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 10:54:13 AM »
I believe that Government has an interest in having and keeping people like that on the Police force. Having such personalities on board + conditioning them to feel (and actually be) unaccountable for their actions ensures that you have staff on hand that will go the distance if society starts to get frisky with authority. If that guy was ordered to disperse a crowd with live fire do you think he wouldn't?

[tinfoil] ???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 03:55:39 PM »

That right there.
The cop escalated the entire situation.
If there weren't an overwhelming number of cops on the scene, a family member would have been well within their rights to put a slug in that guy's head.
Having police power does not equate to the power to be a sadistic ahole and play god with people life and health
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 06:17:54 PM »
And the hits just keep on coming.   Man has medical emergency while driving, ends up beaten, tazed and pepper sprayed by Commerce City Colorado's "Finest".  :mad:

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2019/02/11/diabetic-tazered-beaten-and-pepper-sprayed-by-agw/
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 06:20:32 PM »
I have NO issues with bad cops getting paid back their "due" and more...  :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 07:26:19 PM »
Back to Glendale -- the police are hard at work, protecting their own.

https://apnews.com/d298bfc2eff24c3a9664a915c635e211

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 07:28:44 PM »
And the hits just keep on coming.   Man has medical emergency while driving, ends up beaten, tazed and pepper sprayed by Commerce City Colorado's "Finest".  :mad:

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2019/02/11/diabetic-tazered-beaten-and-pepper-sprayed-by-agw/

What is "AGW" an acronym for?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 07:38:50 PM »
What is "AGW" an acronym for?

In that article it is for "armed government workers".

bob

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: And the police wonder why people don't respect them
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 10:19:41 PM »
Back to Glendale -- the police are hard at work, protecting their own.

https://apnews.com/d298bfc2eff24c3a9664a915c635e211
Fire the lot of them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 12:03:19 AM »
I have had neighbors like these folks, Reno is full of these types, as is all of norcal.
I "know" the cops were in violation of law, however, I find it very difficult on a personal level, to feel sorry for this guy.
This victim is the stereotype of the kind of dirtbag that goes on and on and on for yrs doing the really annoying
crime.
The bicycle thieves, the guys that swipe the can of donations from the local grocer counter, the guy that "dines and dash" at the diner.
The guy who riggs the system to get a huge EBT card for his kids and sells it, the guy who is on welfare and its the only professional gig he's ever had.
Arizona has a ton of these types, the town i lived in was full of them.
For instance, you can extract DMT ( a psychedelic ) from  Colorado River Toads - without killing them - but its a lot easier to kill them when you harvest it and its a slow painful death for the toad.
Guess what method this guy would choose.
I know that I'm wrong, I know its a sin, but I really wanted to taze that guy too.
As soon as I saw him I wanted to taze him.
Yrs of dealing with street dirtbags makes you insensitive.
I'm sorry.
I hope you guys can forgive me. 
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 09:26:59 AM »
I have had neighbors like these folks, Reno is full of these types, as is all of norcal.
I "know" the cops were in violation of law, however, I find it very difficult on a personal level, to feel sorry for this guy.
This victim is the stereotype of the kind of dirtbag that goes on and on and on for yrs doing the really annoying
crime.
The bicycle thieves, the guys that swipe the can of donations from the local grocer counter, the guy that "dines and dash" at the diner.
The guy who riggs the system to get a huge EBT card for his kids and sells it, the guy who is on welfare and its the only professional gig he's ever had.
Arizona has a ton of these types, the town i lived in was full of them.
For instance, you can extract DMT ( a psychedelic ) from  Colorado River Toads - without killing them - but its a lot easier to kill them when you harvest it and its a slow painful death for the toad.
Guess what method this guy would choose.
I know that I'm wrong, I know its a sin, but I really wanted to taze that guy too.
As soon as I saw him I wanted to taze him.
Yrs of dealing with street dirtbags makes you insensitive.
I'm sorry.
I hope you guys can forgive me. 

I hear you. Again, obviously the cop was wrong after he went from 5mph to 300mph on the crazy scale, and saying "he deserved it" about someone in a group you don't like is wrong (because I could be in someone's group of "people (say, gun owners) who deserve it").

Yet I wanted to slap that passenger upside the head as soon as I saw him in the video. He matches exactly what you mentioned above regarding the people who spend their lives committing petty crimes, dumping a pickup load of trash on my property, stealing stuff out of my garage, etc.

But in the end,  the cop still went crazy. What actually was most worrisome to me was how in the beginning the cop was calm and exhibiting the signs of how I would want a cop to act when dealing with me. The fact that a "switch went off" is a little scary for a guy with a badge and a gun.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 10:07:01 PM »
The fact that a "switch went off" is a little scary for a guy with a badge and a gun.

I agree absolutely
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 10:27:16 AM »

But in the end,  the cop still went crazy. What actually was most worrisome to me was how in the beginning the cop was calm and exhibiting the signs of how I would want a cop to act when dealing with me. The fact that a "switch went off" is a little scary for a guy with a badge and a gun.

Honestly with the trash they have to deal with day in and day out, too often the same ones over and over again, and the almost constant bashing they have to endure from the media I'm amazed that "switch" doesn't go off more often.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes