Author Topic: Windows 7???  (Read 724 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Windows 7???
« on: February 11, 2019, 05:29:02 PM »
Getting my late wife's notebook computer ready to sell. It's a Toshiba Satellite running Windows 7 Home.

I have changed the computer name to ToshibaC650, and renamed the hard drive to ToshibaUser. I also went into Users and changed the name of the default user to ToshibaUser. But ... when I open Windows Explorer and look into Users, I see subdirectories for Administrator, DefaultAppPool, Public, and [Wife].

All the default files, desktop configuration, etc., are stored under [Wife]. How do I change that to ToshibaUser?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Windows 7???
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 05:41:08 PM »
Yeah, you don't want to sell it like that. If you're just going in changing user names, there's a very good chance there is still personal information tucked away in subfolders and hidden folders.

Completely wipe it and reinstall win7 if your deal is that you're selling it that way. Otherwise leave it wiped or put Linux on it or something. I would never ever never sell a computer that I hadn't nuked first.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 06:29:46 PM »
Getting my late wife's notebook computer ready to sell. It's a Toshiba Satellite running Windows 7 Home.

I have changed the computer name to ToshibaC650, and renamed the hard drive to ToshibaUser. I also went into Users and changed the name of the default user to ToshibaUser. But ... when I open Windows Explorer and look into Users, I see subdirectories for Administrator, DefaultAppPool, Public, and [Wife].

All the default files, desktop configuration, etc., are stored under [Wife]. How do I change that to ToshibaUser?

What you probably want to do, is do a "factory restore" on it, to bring it back to an "out of the box" state..  Check the manual or Toshiba's support site on exactly how.  

Win7 Home means it's at least 5 years old.  Don't be surprised if you get a pittance for it.

Nuke and repave is definitely the way to go.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 07:01:48 PM »

Nuke and repave is definitely the way to go.

Another vote for N&R. Only way to be sure there isn't some personal info lurking in an untouched subfolder.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 08:10:41 PM »
I was hoping to avoid a factory reset, for several reasons, but that may be what I have to do.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 09:01:03 PM »
Even a factory reset won't necessarily do it; it really depends on how thorough it is. You need to do at least one write over the entirety of the disk, otherwise you risk leaving recoverable personal information.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 10:19:30 PM »
If I do a DoD wipe of the entire disk, I wipe out the factory reset utility.

I'm really not very concerned. I've already deleted all data files that I've created and done a DoD wipe of the free space on the hard drive. If I follow that with a factory reset, I don't think there's going to be anything that the kind of people who buy a ten-year old notebook off Craigs List are going to be able to recover.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 05:56:05 AM »
I don't think there's going to be anything that the kind of people who buy a ten-year old notebook off Craigs List are going to be able to recover.

If you say so.  We won't get into the reasons why people buy ten-year old notebooks off Craigslist or go dumpster diving for receipts and other paperwork.  After all, you know better than the rest of us who live in this industry. :)

That said, a 10yo laptop has so little residual value, I'd nuke it, install Linux, and *give* it to some deserving person who needs a laptop for basic tasks rather than try to sell it for the $50 or so it *might* garner from someone hoping to harvest your data.  You do know there are NEW laptops available for less than $100 (saw a Lenovo Ideapad 320 for $89 on Slickdeals this morning)?

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 10:59:48 AM »
If you say so.  We won't get into the reasons why people buy ten-year old notebooks off Craigslist or go dumpster diving for receipts and other paperwork.  After all, you know better than the rest of us who live in this industry. :)

That said, a 10yo laptop has so little residual value, I'd nuke it, install Linux, and *give* it to some deserving person who needs a laptop for basic tasks rather than try to sell it for the $50 or so it *might* garner from someone hoping to harvest your data.  You do know there are NEW laptops available for less than $100 (saw a Lenovo Ideapad 320 for $89 on Slickdeals this morning)?

Chris

Even newer ones seem be be regarded as low value.  

I've scavenged for my own use abandoned i3 and i5 laptops new enough to have a Windows 8 license.  Folks will bring it in for repair, and once the diagnosis is made decide it's not worth paying our rates for the fix.  Or they just bring it in to be recycled, because they've moved on.  Go to ebay for a battery and/or keyboard, scavenge a hard disk, and there  you are.

Wikipedia tells me Win 7 came out in 2009, and 8 came out in 2012.   Win 7 Pro continued to be available for a while longer for the business customers, but home would have ceased at that time.   A laptop with Win 7 Home would have been made 7-10 years ago.  At this point, probably not worth much, thus my comment above ("Don't be surprised if you get a pittance for it.").

It might actually be worth more if you (Hawkmoon) went ahead and installed Win 10 on it.   10 will still activate with a 7 license key (did the last time I tried it, a couple months back.)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:17:12 AM by lee n. field »

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 11:06:35 AM »
done a DoD wipe of the free space on the hard drive.

Does it nuke volume shadow copy data?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 11:09:06 AM »
I usually give old computers away. Otherwise, donating to Goodwill, etc., you could probably call it a $150 charity donation on the taxes and avoid the selling hassle.

After completely nuking it of course. I'll continue to say that not doing so is an extremely poor choice for any computing device leaving your hands.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."