Author Topic: Got my first scam call.  (Read 701 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Got my first scam call.
« on: February 11, 2019, 06:23:18 PM »
Got an interesting call earlier. Phone number (360) 862-2486. 360 is apparently a Washington state number. Robo call saying they were the IRS reporting something like "fraud and misconduct" and if I didn't respond it would be considered guilt or something. Then it left a number, which I think was the same number as the one on the caller ID; repeated it; then hung up before it finished talking. First I was like WTF ??? Then I started to realize that it was a scam because of the area code and because of the way it was sort of threatening and then hung up. Pretty sure that's in the hopes that someone calls the number quickly in a panic to get the problem taken care of.

That or I'm actually about to have the IRS come for me.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Got my first scam call.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 06:57:57 PM »
The IRS communicates via the USPO, not telephone.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 07:32:22 PM »

Yes,  they send you LETTERS.  Very IMPRESSIVE letters.  Distressingly IMPRESSIVE letters. 
In official looking dire envelopes. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 08:19:13 PM »
I got a call the other day from the "Social Security Administration" because they're filing a fraud action on my SSN.

Right...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 09:23:42 PM »
Until recently if I got a call on my cell and didn't recognize the number or caller ID I'd just let if go to VM.
Now though I'm looking for the entertainment value.
If it turns out to be a sales call I immediately inform them that I charge $250 an hour to listen to them with a two hour minimum, them continuing to talk to me constitutes consent to the charges. Not had any takers yet.
I've yet to get any threatening scam calls .
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 01:57:54 AM »

Why are they using the Patent Office?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 07:17:48 AM »
Why are they using the Patent Office?

Patent office is USPTO...

United States Patent and Trademark Office.

Regarding IRS contact methods, wasn't there some talk last year or so about IRS turning some of their collection activities over to third party private companies and those companies COULD contact you via phone? Don't know if that ever went through or not but that would not be good.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 11:43:53 AM »
I've received "IRS" scam calls, some threatening me with arrest. It's always a recording, and never mentions my name.

This year, I've received "SSA" scam calls. Again, a recording, never mentioning my name.

And of course, various calls from some variation of "Microsoft Services" telling me my computer was "infected" and damaging the Internet, or my Microsoft services would end at midnight since my license expired, etc.

Locally in TX, there have been fake calls from a spoofed number that matches that of the Chinese consulate in Houston. In Mandarin, it apparently tells the listener they have some sort of visa problem and need to call another number right away. One of these popped up on my cell. (I didn't answer.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 11:57:02 PM »
A few years ago I was on the  client care line for the tax company.  I received quite a few calls from people who had received the scam calls.  At that time all of the scam calls were live calls.  I don’t work on that side of the room any more, so can’t say if that’s still the case.

Nothing like talking to an 80 year old lady who is practically in tears because the scammer has her convinced that the police are on the way for failure to pay.  Really makes you want to  [ar15]

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 10:09:46 AM »
Not sure why, but the number of scam calls that I've been getting on my home phone is practically nonexistent this year as compared to years past.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 10:25:32 AM »

Since Dad got hospitalized, somehow (and I blame Martha Jefferson Hospital for this) both our numbers got out into the various health care rackets for both sales and scams.

I didn't sleep well last night and was able to sleep a little late this morning because Dad's doing better, but not too late since some &@%^&(#$&( robo call for a medicare supplement company decided to wake me up.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds