Author Topic: Smith & Wesson Slaps Down Shareholders  (Read 826 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Smith & Wesson Slaps Down Shareholders
« on: February 12, 2019, 06:00:44 PM »
In a good way. Apparently some anti-gun activists bought a whole 200 shares of American Outdoor Brands in order to "topple them from within". I thought this was a pretty good response for a megacorp:

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/02/12/smith-wesson-we-support-2nd-amendment-not-mandatory-smart-guns
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Smith & Wesson Slaps Down Shareholders
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 10:02:19 PM »
Stating up front that I know nothing about corporate law, I don't understand how these activists types are able to buy a relatively small number of shares in a corporation and force the corporation to do anything.  From what I've read, this group of nuns forces S&W to conduct a study on their own efforts on gun safety, smart gun technology, etc.  How does that work?

That said, some attorneys I know say that this appears to be a new tactic among activist groups trying to take on big business.  If they can get enough shares to force a study like this, their intention is to make the study public, either for bad PR or as evidence in lawsuits against the company.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 09:40:20 AM »
LOL, they bought $2500 worth of stock in a company with $673 million+ market cap and think they have a seat at the board table?  :rofl: :rofl:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 09:54:27 AM »
LOL, they bought $2500 worth of stock in a company with $673 million+ market cap and think they have a seat at the board table?  :rofl: :rofl:

Which makes Chris' post interesting. While owning a few hundred shares here and there of something makes me a shareholder, I would never consider myself a SHAREHOLDER. I've always thought that to have real shareholder power for big changes (like pretty much ruining the business by not selling their main product) you need the 51%.

But as Chris questioned, perhaps some publicly traded companies have some weird "woke" rules about needing to respond to shareholder inquiries/demands if they are say, put forth in a specific documented way.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 10:31:52 AM »
I thought all they did was show up at a stockholder's meeting and submit questions in a way that S&W had to respond.  I think they did the same to Ruger.  And didn't this happen a year ago?  Maybe I am misremembering.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 11:38:06 AM »
Big change for the wind-up toy company.  They bent over and took it when Saf-T-Hammer mandated putting their mechanism inside the frame.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 11:40:55 AM »
Big change for the wind-up toy company.  They bent over and took it when Saf-T-Hammer mandated putting their mechanism inside the frame.

One reason I thought it was notable. Quite a difference from a few years back.

One of the comments at the link alluded to Colt saying/doing something dumb recently. I couldn't find anything with a cursory googles though.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 11:43:49 AM »
Well, this response from the company certainly makes me a lot more confident in them.

I may even remove the brand from my DIE AND GO TO HELL! list, which they joined in 2001 and hadn't really done much engender their removal.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 11:44:43 AM »
"One of the comments at the link alluded to Colt saying/doing something dumb recently."

SNORT!

When HASN'T Colt been doing/saying something dumb for the last couple of decades?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.