Author Topic: Isn't this a nice way to start the morning...  (Read 580 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Isn't this a nice way to start the morning...
« on: February 12, 2019, 08:29:03 AM »
Nothing wakes you faster than stepping in a big puddle of water where water shouldn't be.

Looks like the fridge gasped its last sometime during the night. Water puddle was from melted ice. Still an eye-opener when you are stumbling half-asleep towards the coffee maker. Ugh.

Everything on the fridge side is still plenty cool enough to be okay but freezer side is a total loss. Luckily not much in it aside from some frozen rolls and a few cheap items. A little water in the floor and a quick trip to SWMBO's to transfer the fridge stuff will take care of things.

Too bad Sears is gone. Their Scratch-n-Dent room was my go-to place for large appliances.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Isn't this a nice way to start the morning...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 08:51:30 AM »
ah crap. Nothing worse than the double whammy of losing both the appliance and the food.

I got my last fridge at Lowes. Very happy with their appliance selection and delivery.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 09:31:31 AM »
I dont usually fall for extended warranties on anything but when we bought our big freezer (1 of 3 currently in use) they offered an ext warranty pretty cheap that covered any/all repairs AND comps for any lost food. Since we put 1/2 a beef in it each year plus a couple deer, turkey, etc it was a pretty attractive deal.
Good luck on your appliance search. They all suck these days and nothing seems to run 10 years. I have a 40 year old fridge in the garage that still works fine.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 09:33:56 AM »
Waiting on the repair guy. Local shop with a long history. Fridge is a mid-90s Kenmore that is super common so maybe they can nurse it back to health at some modest cost.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 09:36:30 AM »
Bummer man.

Sears used to be my goto for appliances as well. I don't know if you have any near you, since few seem to exist anymore, but if you can find a local family run appliance store, you might get a great deal. I've used the local one here over the last few years to replace appliances in my rentals, and not only were they cheaper than Lowes, etc., but the service and installation were top notch. They also have a "scratch and dent" section.

EDIT: You posted while I typed - I guess you do have a local place. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 12:22:58 PM »
Start capacitor. Easy fix. $110 all told. I can live with that.

Brad
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 01:37:06 PM »
Nice.

Better than $1,000 for a new one.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.