Author Topic: USS Hornet found  (Read 1956 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: USS Hornet found
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 02:54:12 PM »
On a related note the USS Wasp has been found as well

https://www.history.com/news/wwii-shipwreck-uss-wasp-discovery
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 03:16:56 PM »
The Lexington was also recently found.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 03:20:19 PM »

That was a while back. And Yorktown as well.

Waiting on Akagi, Kaga, Soryu, and Hiryu to be found.
Some years ago some wreckage from Kaga was reportedly found but not the ship itself
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 01:21:22 PM »
Remember, though, that military ammunition as would be found on the Hornet had asphaltum applied around the case neck to waterproof it, and another type of sealer around the primer.

Don't know how well it would resist those kinds of pressures, but I know pulling a military bullet is a HUGE pain in the ass.
Pro tip: Running a military cartridge through your seating die first and pushing the bullet in just a little breaks the asphaltum seal and facilitates pulling it. (I've never encountered a slug cemented in place firmly enough to collapse the shoulder when doing this. Haven't tried it with bullets staked in place.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 01:50:09 PM »
That was a while back. And Yorktown as well.

Waiting on Akagi, Kaga, Soryu, and Hiryu to be found.
Some years ago some wreckage from Kaga was reportedly found but not the ship itself

Lexington was found last year. https://www.paulallen.com/uss-lexington-wreck-located-rv-petrel/

Yorktown was found in 1998.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2019, 03:26:33 PM »
As an interesting side note
Note the condition of the found carriers compare to the condition of many found battleships and battlecruisers. Many of the of the wrecks of the found BBs and CCs are in several pieces due to magazine explosions.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:45:46 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2019, 03:33:20 PM »

I had to double check as I thought that was found in Corpus Christi  Not the same ship, but it took the name after the Lexington was lost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Lexington_(CV-16)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 03:35:46 PM »
I had to double check as I thought that was found in Corpus Christi  Not the same ship, but it took the name after the Lexington was lost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Lexington_(CV-16)

All US carriers sunk during the war had Essex class carriers renamed at some point during construction in their honor.
Yorktown CV-5 --> CV-10
Hornet CV-8 --> CV-12
Wasp CV-7 --> CV-18
Lexington CV-2 --> CV-16
- Calvin and Hobbes