Author Topic: I Wonder How the New Captain Marvel Will Do?  (Read 21214 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I Wonder How the New Captain Marvel Will Do?
« on: February 12, 2019, 07:33:33 PM »
The star of the film doesn't want white males at the pressers or critic reviews or whatever. I'm pretty sure 75% of the Marvel franchise audience is young white males. If they start talking about how white males are bad, I'm thinking it's not gonna go well for ticket sales. I'm gonna go ahead and predict this will be one of the lowest grossing Marvel films ever.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/brie-larson-doesnt-want-captain-marvel-press-tour-to-be-overwhelmingly-white-male
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
Re: I Wonder How the New Captain Marvel Will Do?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 08:26:51 PM »
Yet another movie that would otherwise be entertaining,  but they just HAD to SJW *expletive deleted*it up.  Much like Black Panther.  If you didn't like that one,  you're just racist.

Is it too *expletive deleted*ing much for them to just make an entertaining movie and not preach?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 08:37:06 PM »
I'm not familiar with Captain Marvel, and although I've heard the name before I probably had him (her?) mixed up with Captain America.  Cap'n Marvel is a girl??  Maybe it's a title rather than a character?  (I'm confused)

Is this like The Doctor, who has traditionally been a male character, is now a female?  (Jodi Whittaker is doing a fine job, BTW, I wish the writers would do likewise)
"It's good, though..."

Andiron

• friend

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 08:47:12 PM »
Part of the problem is that Brie Larson can't keep her mouth shut for two seconds about how woke she is and how much she hates men and white men in particular. Which just happens to be ~80% of Marvel's fan base.

My biggest worry is that she's going to drag down Infinity War part 2 down with her.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 08:50:58 PM »
Test audiences have not been kind to her or the movie.
Every photo of her I've seen from the movie she looks bored.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 08:54:02 PM »
If not for the current political/social climate, the female Captain Marvel would probably have done well (if it was a good movie) since it's within cannon of the Marvel universe.

However, there is just no way it's not going to be seen as SJW bullpoopy right now by a lot of people.  =|
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 08:54:23 PM »
I'm not familiar with Captain Marvel, and although I've heard the name before I probably had him (her?) mixed up with Captain America.  Cap'n Marvel is a girl??  Maybe it's a title rather than a character?  (I'm confused)

Captain Marvel was a guy when I was reading comic books in the 1950s. The SJW faithful decided to make him a her for this movie.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 08:59:14 PM »
If not for the current political/social climate, the female Captain Marvel would probably have done well (if it was a good movie) since it's within cannon of the Marvel universe.

How is a female Captain Marvel in the "canon" when historically Captain Marvel was a guy named Billy Batson, as far back as 1940?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 08:59:48 PM »
Captain Marvel was a guy when I was reading comic books in the 1950s. The SJW faithful decided to make him a her for this movie.

The female Capt Marvel in the Marvel comics dates from 1968 according to wiki

Edit: actually it's a bit more complicated than that. Read the article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Danvers
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 09:45:59 PM »

Edit: actually it's a bit more complicated than that. Read the article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Danvers

What he said.  I'm hardly a comic nerd,  but the evolution of characters is a thing.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 09:52:19 PM »
My younger son is a Marvel fan...  Some of his online groups were not pleased with Brie Larson as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel.  They are less happy that she's decided to go SJW with the press conferences.  Surprisingly, a lot of the unhappy fans are female.   Appears that they want the film to succeed based on a strong female character, with no bovine excrement around the film to take away from it and it's success.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 09:54:13 PM »
Never read a single comic in my life, just enjoyed the movies.......so far.

Except for Thor Ragnarok, that one was painful to watch.
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 10:29:45 PM »

Is this like The Doctor, who has traditionally been a male character, is now a female?  (Jodi Whittaker is doing a fine job, BTW, I wish the writers would do likewise)

I'm familiar with Captain Marvel... Because that's who Rogue stole her powers from.

Otherwise, my 20+ year out of date knowledge of comics is drawing a blank.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 11:07:56 PM »

So from 1940 until 2012 Captain Marvel was a guy, and then in 2012 "Ms. Marvel" magically became the new [female] Captain Marvel. If this is their idea of a comic "canon," count me out. As I posted above, it's nothing but revisionist clap-trap.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 11:27:30 PM »
So from 1940 until 2012 Captain Marvel was a guy, and then in 2012 "Ms. Marvel" magically became the new [female] Captain Marvel. If this is their idea of a comic "canon," count me out. As I posted above, it's nothing but revisionist clap-trap.

In other words, "doublethink" in "newspeak."  "2 + 2 = 5"

Next thing you know, there'll be a Brucie Wayne, a Ricarda Greyson, an Alfreda the Butler, and Commisioner Jamie Gordon.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 11:48:24 PM »
I don't have a dog in this fight, like I said above I've never read a single comic book in my life. I was just pointing out that the switch from XY to XX happened long before this movie according to wiki
- Calvin and Hobbes

freakazoid

• friend
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 12:09:24 AM »
That's DC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(Marvel_Comics)

Okay, according to that the first switch from XY CM to XX CM was in 82 then back to XY in 93 then back to XX in 04 and then.............. Screw it. I'm so confused!
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 12:20:54 AM »
Her superpower is standing up.

https://youtu.be/UDBsvOtd9fA?t=7

I'm glad I was never that much into comic books (or Ghostbusters) so these silly movies don't get under my skin.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 08:21:52 AM »
I smell another Ghostbusters fiasco. =D
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 09:12:50 AM »
I smell another Ghostbusters fiasco. =D

Not likely.  The Ghostbusters crap was basically the first movie reshot with the gender roles of all of the major characters reversed.  When word of that got out, it killed any favorable feelings about the film.  It wasn't about gender, it was about a lack of originality and, frankly, what I saw as an insult to Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, and Dan Akroyd.  It was as if someone said "gee, that first Ghostbusters wasn't bad,m but we can make a better version than they did by just switching out the genders of the major characters."   Yeah, no.

This film isn't some reboot, but another planned piece of this puzzle that Marvel designed and appears to have carried out to perfection.  Each movie ties to the others in such a way that you don't necessarily need to see them all.  But, like a good book, the chapters are such that reading one makes you want to read the next chapter, and these films make you want to see the next.  And, since this is a tie-in to what they have planned in the Endgame film, it's going to make a bunch of money because of that.

On the gender-switch for the main character, there seems to be some confusion.  As someone who was once the skinny kid who spent a fair amount of time reading comic books in the 70s.  She was an Air Force officer who gained powers from an alien (male) who was called Captain Marvel.  She was originally called Ms. Marvel.  They killed off the male character, and the female took on the title of Captain Marvel about 10 years ago.

Guys, I'm with you that making changes in entertainment solely for the purpose of catering to the woke crowd is crap.  I had that feeling when they made Starbuck a female on the updated Battlestar series (though that worked for me, and I grew to really appreciate Katee Sackhoff as an actor).  This isn't one of those situations.  Brie Larson may be trying to cater to the woke crowd, the film is likely not...

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 09:34:40 AM »
Brie Larson may be trying to cater to the woke crowd, the film is likely not...

It probably wasn't clear in my OP, but that's what I meant. It is the actor "sabotaging" the movie because of her personal political beliefs. If I were a producer or investor in the movie, I'd be pretty pissed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 09:45:33 AM »
That's where I was going.
Larson has been running her mouth constantly about how woke she is and has alienated a large segment of Marvel's fan base. The movie is still, unless you count a bunch of youtube rants which are 90% colored by opinions of Larson wokeness, largely an unknown quality at this point. No one can see the movie now without their opinion of it been tainted by Larson's rants.
- Calvin and Hobbes