Author Topic: I Wonder How the New Captain Marvel Will Do?  (Read 21160 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: I Wonder How the New Captain Marvel Will Do?
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2019, 05:02:45 AM »
The Alien screenplay was written without the sex of any characters in mind, and Cameron made that decision in casting.

Pretty sure you mean Ridley Scott made that decision in casting.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2019, 06:35:21 AM »
In a related, but different note:

I went with the wife and saw Alita: Battle Angel this weekend. Now I haven't read the Manga, or watched the Anime series, so I went in pretty clean sheet.

Good visuals (the team from Avatar*), strong female character, interesting story, OK script, great action.  Pretty decent flick all told.  From Internet chatter the folks that have read the Manga also liked it, which is no mean feat.  And it topped the President's Day weekend box office.  It'll be interesting to compare and contrast that with Captain Marvel in a couple weeks.

Of course, the SJW chatterazzi and critics hate Alita, because she grows [gasp] the bewbz!

*Seriously, the CGI is great.  It's like Avatar without the annoying "Dances With Smurfs" overtones.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2019, 11:04:04 AM »
But can you hurl lightning bolts?

On a dry, winter day, while standing on the living room carpet. Just ask my dog.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2019, 01:15:49 PM »
In a related, but different note:

I went with the wife and saw Alita: Battle Angel this weekend. Now I haven't read the Manga, or watched the Anime series, so I went in pretty clean sheet.

Good visuals (the team from Avatar*), strong female character, interesting story, OK script, great action.  Pretty decent flick all told.  From Internet chatter the folks that have read the Manga also liked it, which is no mean feat.  And it topped the President's Day weekend box office.  It'll be interesting to compare and contrast that with Captain Marvel in a couple weeks.

Of course, the SJW chatterazzi and critics hate Alita, because she grows [gasp] the bewbz!

*Seriously, the CGI is great.  It's like Avatar without the annoying "Dances With Smurfs" overtones.
I also saw it this weekend. Enjoyable movie, was not disappointed.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2019, 02:42:25 PM »
I also saw it this weekend. Enjoyable movie, was not disappointed.
Cool.  I want to go see it this weekend. 

I had never heard of it before, but the movie previews I saw on youtube looked pretty cool.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2019, 10:44:32 PM »

Does anyone else think the Captain Marvel chick looks like a hybrid clone of Olivia Wilde and Amy Poehler?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2019, 11:29:52 PM »

Does anyone else think the Captain Marvel chick looks like a hybrid clone of Olivia Wilde and Amy Poehler? [/u]

No.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2019, 09:58:14 AM »
Yes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2019, 10:09:16 AM »
Need some eye candy after the above

That's better
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2019, 03:27:58 PM »

Does anyone else think the Captain Marvel chick looks like a hybrid clone of Olivia Wilde and Amy Poehler?

I had to look up Poehler as I don't watch SNL.  Never would have put those two name together though. 

I just hope there is no SJW nonsense actually in the movie.  I can ignore stupid stuff actresses say on their own time if they don't screw up the movie.  I gotta wonder if the money guys are ticked off that she is bringing up that stuff prior to the movie opening.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2019, 03:41:50 PM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2019, 10:11:17 AM »
I don't agree with all of her reasoning but it's a very good question that I haven't thought to ask

Why Hasn't Disney Stopped Brie Larson From Ruining Captain Marvel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8xggjztPdY
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2019, 10:30:44 AM »
It'll be interesting to see what the actual box office numbers end up being.  So far this whole kerfluffle might not be as big a deal as we think.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/10/captain-marvel-presale-tickets-soar-signaling-big-box-office-debut.html

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2019, 11:06:58 AM »
IMDB had it at 5.4.
Brie and gang started doubling down on it's because of men
Hearing IMDB is starting to block bad reviews.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 02:33:49 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2019, 11:14:22 AM »
It'll be interesting to see what the actual box office numbers end up being.  So far this whole kerfluffle might not be as big a deal as we think.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/10/captain-marvel-presale-tickets-soar-signaling-big-box-office-debut.html

We just have to wait 3 days to see the opening weekend numbers. That will be a better signal.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2019, 11:21:35 AM »
We just have to wait 3 days to see the opening weekend numbers. That will be a better signal.

True, but the professional reviews are in, and they aren't great.  Metacritic has it at 65.

When Vox gives your feminist tour de force 3 out of 5, you did something wrong.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2019, 11:44:38 AM »
It'll come out of Netflix eventually.  I'll catch it then.
Seriously, I think I'll pass this one up and catch the next Avengers.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2019, 12:54:07 PM »
That's what I'm doing.   I'll watch Avengers: Endgame, but after that, I think I'm checking out of superhero/comic book movies for a while.  I'm kinda burned out on the whole "cinematic Universe" thing, and it looks like Marvel is giving me a nice clean line to pull the plug.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2019, 02:32:38 PM »
It'll come out of Netflix eventually.  I'll catch it then.
Seriously, I think I'll pass this one up and catch the next Avengers.

I really liked Antman in Civil War. Still haven't gotten around to seeing that movie.

I liked Black Panther in Civil War. Still haven't gotten around to seeing that movie.

I liked Spiderman in Civil War. Still haven't gotten around to seeing any of those movies.

I've enjoyed all the Thor movies. I've enjoyed all the Capt. America movies. I've enjoyed almost all the Iron Man movies. (Ok, I enjoyed them all, but that last one was pretty bad.) I enjoyed the Guardians movies. (Second was sub-par, though.)

I've enjoyed most of the Avengers movies. (Second was also sub-par).

I have ZERO interest in seeing the "Rey can shoot beams from her hands" movie. I already saw that (minus the beams) with The Force Awakens. Not happening again.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 04:32:20 PM by makattak »

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #120 on: March 07, 2019, 02:47:58 PM »
Apparently we need Govt legislation  :facepalm:

BAD Captain Marvel Reviews? Government Intervention For Demanded!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uElOUeMXjOg
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2019, 03:34:48 PM »
True, but the professional reviews are in, and they aren't great.  Metacritic has it at 65.

When Vox gives your feminist tour de force 3 out of 5, you did something wrong.

That's a misogynistic conspiracy.  All of the bad reviews were written by men:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/03/05/fake-news-notice-how-all-the-negative-reviews-of-captain-marvel-are-written-by-men/

... except they're not.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #122 on: March 07, 2019, 04:01:31 PM »
That's a misogynistic conspiracy.  All of the bad reviews were written by men:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/03/05/fake-news-notice-how-all-the-negative-reviews-of-captain-marvel-are-written-by-men/

... except they're not.

Even if they were it would not be evidence of any sort of male conspiracy. Perhaps if all those same male reviewers had also trashed Wonder Woman and then followed up by trashing Captain Marvel there might be a hint of a trend that could bear watching -- but I don't recall Wonder Woman being trashed in the reviews. Ergo, it seems to me that the SJW types are so psyched up about Captain Marvel because she's [supposed to be] a powerful woman that they are absolutely willing to overlook the fundamental issue that it just might not be a very good movie, and that the star just might not be a very good actress.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #123 on: March 07, 2019, 04:05:52 PM »
Even if they were it would not be evidence of any sort of male conspiracy. Perhaps if all those same male reviewers had also trashed Wonder Woman and then followed up by trashing Captain Marvel there might be a hint of a trend that could bear watching -- but I don't recall Wonder Woman being trashed in the reviews. Ergo, it seems to me that the SJW types are so psyched up about Captain Marvel because she's [supposed to be] a powerful woman that they are absolutely willing to overlook the fundamental issue that it just might not be a very good movie, and that the star just might not be a very good actress.

Don't you know that Wonder Woman doesn't count?!?! They had an Israeli who had the audacity to be proud of her time in the IDF to play WONDER WOMAN!!1!1! Gal Godot is a traitor to her gender!!!!111! SHE'S NOT WOKE!!

And that's the only reason evil men actually like her.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2019, 04:33:06 PM »
Don't you know that Wonder Woman doesn't count?!?! They had an Israeli who had the audacity to be proud of her time in the IDF to play WONDER WOMAN!!1!1! Gal Godot is a traitor to her gender!!!!111! SHE'S NOT WOKE!!

And that's the only reason evil men actually like her.

Also, she's hot.