Author Topic: I Wonder How the New Captain Marvel Will Do?  (Read 21204 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: I Wonder How the New Captain Marvel Will Do?
« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2019, 05:05:21 PM »
As an aside, I saw Alita: Battle Angel last weekend.  Pretty decent movie if you remember it is based on some anime comic.  I was surprised and a little disappointed in the ending, but it take away too much from the movie.

I am debating with myself on trying to see the Captain Marvel movie.  After all the discussion over the last couple months, I don't know what to expect.  I almost want to see it just as a warm up for the next Avengers movie.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2019, 05:07:36 PM »
I really liked Antman in Civil War. Still haven't gotten around to seeing that movie.

I liked Black Panther in Civil War. Still haven't gotten around to seeing that movie.

I liked Spiderman in Civil War. Still haven't gotten around to seeing any of those movies.

I've enjoyed all the Thor movies. I've enjoyed all the Capt. America movies. I've enjoyed almost all the Iron Man movies. (Ok, I enjoyed them all, but that last one was pretty bad.) I enjoyed the Guardians movies. (Second was sub-par, though.)

I've enjoyed most of the Avengers movies. (Second was also sub-par).

I have ZERO interest in seeing the "Rey can shoot beams from her hands" movie. I already saw that (minus the beams) with The Force Awakens. Not happening again.
The Ant Man movies have plenty of comic relief so they do end up being entertaining instead of just serious. 

There so many different Spiderman movies from past years that it is hard to keep track.  I guess they keep making money. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #127 on: March 07, 2019, 06:21:21 PM »
Also, she's hot.

There is that ...

There's more to it than just that, however. I could try calling it any number of things, but I think it's best described as an air of  Je ne sais quoi. For all that she's a warrior goddess, she nonetheless manages to exude sensitivity, femininity, vulnerability (especially emotional), and humanity.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grampster

• friend
« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2019, 07:11:48 PM »
Captain Marvel is a man.  Not some snotty, left wing, bigoted, Misandrist. [barf]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2019, 07:15:03 PM »
Also, she's hot.

Ayup. 

Aint nothing wrong with that.  Has to really piss Larson off too.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2019, 08:48:43 PM »
I know I'm really looking forward to seeing Alita: Battle Angel tomorrow... =D

With how Brie Larson and the left has been acting, not going to pay money to see Captain Marvel.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2019, 10:39:49 PM »
Just saw Captain Marvel. It does not live up to the hype. I’m
Sure it will make millions. IMO it was the worst of the marvel movies to date, not saying this movie sucked, just was not good. Too much jumping around, too much comedy that was not necessary. Marvel should have paid more attention to DC Wonder Woman.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2019, 12:42:13 AM »
Hilarious fisking of the supposed glass ceiling Larson is so bravely busting up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-e5bptEFIM
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2019, 09:00:50 AM »
There is that ...

There's more to it than just that, however. I could try calling it any number of things, but I think it's best described as an air of  Je ne sais quoi. For all that she's a warrior goddess, she nonetheless manages to exude sensitivity, femininity, vulnerability (especially emotional), and humanity.
That is along the lines of what I was thinking.  Her character came off as genuinely nice without the "I am a superhero" arrogance.  The Captain Marvel trailers don't show that.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2019, 09:19:13 AM »
Audience score is at 31% on RT
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_marvel

Contrast that with the critic rating sitting at 81%

Some gems from the critic revews

Larson can turn a moment as slight as walking into frame and blowing a strand of hair out of her face into an uproarious, powerful visual beat.
Captain Marvel is such a welcome and appealing addition to the Marvel universe that I wish she could be added, retroactively, to all of the extant "Avengers" movies.
Mar 7, 2019 | Rating: 3/4
At full strength... Captain Marvel is a goddess emitting her own light - an astral version of Liberty at the battlements, sublime and terrifying.
Mar 6, 2019
Lord, grant me the confidence of a mediocre movie about a cosmically powered white woman.
Mar 8, 2019 | Rating: 2/4
:rofl:

A theme emerges of marginalized people trying to make it in someone else's world. How we get there isn't through tropes and brow-beatings, but through honest dialogue after the chase sequences and fist-fights prove futile.
There really should be an extra gold medal issued for the way the film successfully brings in the equally topical matter of attitudes to refugees when we were least expecting it.
WUT?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2019, 09:24:21 AM »
08MAR2019: Captain Marvel release date.

08MAR2019: International Women's Day.

Coinkydink?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2019, 09:25:40 AM »
08MAR2019: Captain Marvel release date.

08MAR2019: International Women's Day.

Coinkydink?

Beat me to it.

Think I'll watch WW today.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2019, 11:43:20 AM »
Beat me to it.

Think I'll watch WW today.

Some TV channel or other is showing Wonder Woman for "Women's Day." Which is funny, because no one would think that a Superman movie is some kind of celebration of men.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2019, 04:51:02 PM »
The RT audience rating jumped up to 36%
According to this that was AFTER they deleted 54,000 reviews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-PWWZF_RDI

Edit: And according to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQIIrYnK-V4
He does make some good points about the ratings
- Calvin and Hobbes

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2019, 07:11:00 PM »
Hilarious fisking of the supposed glass ceiling Larson is so bravely busting up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-e5bptEFIM

No Firefly, I am disappoint.

Also, Alita: Battle Angel was pretty good. Really enjoyed it. Unfortunately I thought the showtime was 3:30 but apparently it was 3:10. Came right in when she sees the dog and protects it. Would of missed the previews and I think I might of missed a scene or two. :facepalm: Hopefully it gets a sequel.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:30:54 PM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2019, 07:30:49 PM »
According to this that was AFTER they deleted 54,000 reviews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-PWWZF_RDI

If the ratings didn't really change that much after deleting 90% of the reviews, to me that implies they did a good job of being fair -- and that the 50000+ number might have been bogus in the first place.  (doesn't that number seem awfully high for a movie that just came out today?)
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2019, 07:34:45 PM »
If the ratings didn't really change that much after deleting 90% of the reviews, to me that implies they did a good job of being fair -- and that the 50000+ number might have been bogus in the first place.  (doesn't that number seem awfully high for a movie that just came out today?)
In the 2nd video he kind of goes into that
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2019, 07:36:46 PM »
In the 2nd video he kind of goes into that

I only watched most of the first video.  ;/
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2019, 07:40:36 PM »

I actually thought the guy in WLJ's second video did a good job of explaining and looking at likely "real numbers". In this case I think politics was getting nearly as many people to give it a 10/10 as a 1/10.

As much as I think Brie Larsen was a jackass for starting all this, and then the fact that the producers ended up having a "feminist agenda", I think a common sense look would say that it's not going to be a 1/10. That really is politics. On the other hand, this isn't going to be a masterpiece either and there's no way that even with politics aside it's a 10/10.

However, if you do what the guy in the video said and throw out the 1s and 10s, you end up with around a 6, which is probably going to be accurate. It definitely doesn't look to be the cream of the crop for Marvel movies. On the other hand, even if they don't see it at the theater, plenty of people will stream it at some point just to pass the time, and it will, as that guy said, be an okay "popcorn movie".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2019, 07:48:30 PM »
I should have pointed that out more clearly in my post.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2019, 08:14:45 PM »
I actually thought the guy in WLJ's second video did a good job of explaining and looking at likely "real numbers". In this case I think politics was getting nearly as many people to give it a 10/10 as a 1/10.

As much as I think Brie Larsen was a jackass for starting all this, and then the fact that the producers ended up having a "feminist agenda", I think a common sense look would say that it's not going to be a 1/10. That really is politics. On the other hand, this isn't going to be a masterpiece either and there's no way that even with politics aside it's a 10/10.

However, if you do what the guy in the video said and throw out the 1s and 10s, you end up with around a 6, which is probably going to be accurate. It definitely doesn't look to be the cream of the crop for Marvel movies. On the other hand, even if they don't see it at the theater, plenty of people will stream it at some point just to pass the time, and it will, as that guy said, be an okay "popcorn movie".

You beat your wife, don't you?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2019, 08:17:45 PM »

Glad I watched the first one, I've been watching his videos for some time so I would of seen it anyways. Reminded me that I need to see The Kid this weekend. Looked like it will be pretty good.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #147 on: March 09, 2019, 03:08:39 PM »
Holy continuity problems batman

********** Spoilers alert ************

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rkEUyXDle0
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #148 on: March 09, 2019, 03:52:18 PM »
I'm going tomorrow with my son, a big MCU fan.  I've been known to ignore reviews.  I'll post here what I think afterwards.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #149 on: March 09, 2019, 04:02:54 PM »
I'm going tomorrow with my son, a big MCU fan.  I've been known to ignore reviews.  I'll post here what I think afterwards.

A guy on the MHI FB page wrote up a review that was complimentary. He compared it to Guardians of the Galaxy and thought it was an enjoyable and solid MCU entry.

So, there is hope that she didn't ruin MCU, although I wonder if studio executives may have a stern talk with her if she's planning on staying in the franchise. I know they have some Disney employee style rules when it comes to their Marvel stars and mouthing off in a way that alienates their prime fan base probably didn't go over well with them.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds