Author Topic: I Wonder How the New Captain Marvel Will Do?  (Read 21193 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: I Wonder How the New Captain Marvel Will Do?
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2019, 05:06:24 PM »
Holy continuity problems batman

********** Spoilers alert ************

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rkEUyXDle0

I still fail to see why/how she is supposed to be so much more powerful than Superman. Time travel? Big deal -- Superman was doing time travel in the comic books back in the 1950s.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2019, 05:08:03 PM »
HG Wells was doing Time Travel in 1895
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2019, 08:56:09 PM »
HG Wells was doing Time Travel in 1895

Whose superhero universe is H.G. Wells a part of?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2019, 11:02:31 PM »
Whose superhero universe is H.G. Wells a part of?

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2019, 06:28:25 PM »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2019, 08:17:40 PM »
Okay kids, in a nutshell while trying to avoid spoilers.  Maybe it's just me, but I didn't notice a lib agenda.  Maybe if you really looked for one, like a cop looking for a traffic infraction, you can find one.  Maybe with the whole alien war/refugee thing.  If it was, it was done with great subtlety, such that I could ignore it.  And the women in power thing?  Other than a throw away joke in a flashback with a male pilot making a sexist joke, I didn't feel like they were beating the feminist drum here.  I felt a lot like the character could have just as easily been a Male, and the story wouldn't have changed.  Her best friend being black?  Also nothing made of it.

I enjoyed it.  A lot like Guardians of the Galaxy in its tone.  Some good 80s and 90s music in the soundtrack.  I would watch it again.

As for Larson, I predict she will either learn to shut up, or she will not be working for Disney for long.  They value their fan base, and more so the money it brings in, to risk alienating any part of it due to a star spouting off too much.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2019, 08:27:56 PM »
Overheard a conversation about the movie during lunch at work.

Three guys, two didn’t like it, one did.

The two thumbs down guys just thought it was a weak movie compared to the rest in the genre.

These guys are all on the political left so I doubt politics was an issue with any of them.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2019, 10:30:26 PM »
Okay kids, in a nutshell while trying to avoid spoilers.  Maybe it's just me, but I didn't notice a lib agenda.  Maybe if you really looked for one, like a cop looking for a traffic infraction, you can find one.  Maybe with the whole alien war/refugee thing.  If it was, it was done with great subtlety, such that I could ignore it.  And the women in power thing?  Other than a throw away joke in a flashback with a male pilot making a sexist joke, I didn't feel like they were beating the feminist drum here.  I felt a lot like the character could have just as easily been a Male, and the story wouldn't have changed.  Her best friend being black?  Also nothing made of it.

I enjoyed it.  A lot like Guardians of the Galaxy in its tone.  Some good 80s and 90s music in the soundtrack.  I would watch it again.

As for Larson, I predict she will either learn to shut up, or she will not be working for Disney for long.  They value their fan base, and more so the money it brings in, to risk alienating any part of it due to a star spouting off too much.
I think there are a lot of Star Wars fans who disagree with that part.   Of course, I don't think Disney realized what they were meddling with in that case. 

Glad to hear Larson's antics were her own and not shared by the movie.  I may try to see it next weekend. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2019, 11:39:14 PM »
There are problems with this movie, glad I didn't pay to see it. It messed up the continuity of the other movies in several ways and felt like they just let someone mess with the plot who hadn't seen the rest of the movies. There were also leaps ovr huge plot holes in the movie that didn't make sense, and yes there was a political agenda, subtle, but it was there. Also seemed like the acting was phoned in.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 11:52:12 PM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #159 on: March 11, 2019, 04:45:16 PM »
I think there are a lot of Star Wars fans who disagree with that part.   Of course, I don't think Disney realized what they were meddling with in that case. 

Word.

Disney is committed to raping the corpse of Star Wars for as long as it's profitable, they don't care about making a decent movie anymore.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #160 on: March 11, 2019, 08:09:27 PM »
There are problems with this movie, glad I didn't pay to see it. It messed up the continuity of the other movies in several ways and felt like they just let someone mess with the plot who hadn't seen the rest of the movies. There were also leaps ovr huge plot holes in the movie that didn't make sense, and yes there was a political agenda, subtle, but it was there. Also seemed like the acting was phoned in.

Yup. The director and co-director have both even admitted to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo5ZEgWV1-U
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #161 on: March 11, 2019, 08:37:25 PM »
Maybe it's just me.  Maybe it's that I'm getting tired of all the bovine scat.  Or maybe I'm just getting too old...

But of those who saw the movie, why is it bad?  I don't mean the quality of the movie, but the "agenda" I must have missed, or the pro feminist angle that means I as a white male shouldn't like it?  I didn't see any overt male bashing.  I didn't notice any "white men are bad" message coming through.  Again, am I just growing blind to this stuff???
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2019, 08:04:55 PM »
Interesting look at Captain Marvel opening sales, and adjusted for ticket price inflation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlKZftJvp74
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2019, 10:58:32 AM »
On a related note

James Gunn Gets His Job Back as 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Director
https://townhall.com/entertainment/cortneyobrien/2019/03/16/james-gunn-gets-his-job-back-as-guardians-of-the-galaxy-director-n2543216

Months later, it appears they're giving Gunn a second chance. In a reversal of their July announcement, Disney has rehired Gunn and he will be the man behind the camera for the next chapter of "Guardians of the Galaxy." Deadline's Mike Fleming Jr. confirmed the news on Friday, noting how Gunn's good behavior seems to have been a factor.

I'm sure the fact that many of the main actors of a major cash cow saying they wouldn't work with any one else but Gunn had nothing to do with it.  ;/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #164 on: March 16, 2019, 06:15:14 PM »
I decided to watch Captain Marvel this afternoon.  I didn't notice any particular agenda.  If I had to say there was an agenda, it would be about refugees looking for a new home not feminism.  There was a little bit of tough girl stuff and "she's only a girl" in part of it, but that was part of the story and I wouldn't call it an agenda.  If I had any criticism of Larson it may just be that she doesn't really have the build of a soldier which is what she is supposed to be at the beginning.  I wouldn't count it as the best Marvel movie, but certainly not the worst.  Decent superhero flick with aliens (but I kind of liked Green Lantern so take that for what its worth).  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2019, 09:20:35 PM »
My wife and I went and saw it this afternoon. Caught the 5:00 pm show. Had a private screening, not another soul in the theater with us.
I enjoyed it.
Larson isn't bad but she's no Gal Gadot.  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2019, 09:45:08 PM »
Larson isn't bad but she's no Gal Gadot.  =D

Troglodyte.  Did you just judge her body?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2019, 09:53:46 PM »
Troglodyte.  Did you just judge her body?

Damn straight I did.

=D

Not really,  just her 2nd tier acting ability.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2019, 10:02:28 PM »
Damn straight I did.

=D

Not really,  just her 2nd tier acting ability.

Carry on, caveman, carry on!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2019, 09:27:40 AM »
One thing I neglected to mention, the theater we prefer to go to now serves beer and liquor/mixed drinks.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2019, 12:34:13 PM »
One thing I neglected to mention, the theater we prefer to go to now serves beer and liquor/mixed drinks.

So that didn't sway your review at all, right?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2019, 03:03:19 PM »
So that didn't sway your review at all, right?

I was driving so no barely pop for me.

Samuel Adams

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2019, 02:54:05 PM »
Brie Larson update... been emailing an old friend, who works in the entertainment industry.  He's a part of the Avengers:Endgame group touring in support of the movie.  He also did some work on a few other films, including Captain Marvel.  He said Brie Larsen didn't get it at first.  She saw the movie as a chance to step into the spotlight a d push her agenda, as we suspected.  Apparently, there were some conversations with managers, lawyers, and Disney execs about her future with the franchise if she didn't knock it off. There was also a conversation with a couple of bug name stars reminding her not to bite the hand that feeds her.  She's now playing along quite nicely...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2019, 03:07:49 PM »
Brie Larson update... been emailing an old friend, who works in the entertainment industry.  He's a part of the Avengers:Endgame group touring in support of the movie.  He also did some work on a few other films, including Captain Marvel.  He said Brie Larsen didn't get it at first.  She saw the movie as a chance to step into the spotlight a d push her agenda, as we suspected.  Apparently, there were some conversations with managers, lawyers, and Disney execs about her future with the franchise if she didn't knock it off. There was also a conversation with a couple of bug name stars reminding her not to bite the hand that feeds her.  She's now playing along quite nicely...

I saw an interview where Don Cheadle pointedly talked about handing off the franchise and "All Brie has to do is not screw it up."

I've told my wife that I'm going to be considering this movie the end of the MCU. I'm just hoping they don't screw THIS one up before they do hand it off to the SJW who will screw it all up.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama