Author Topic: I Wonder How the New Captain Marvel Will Do?  (Read 21206 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Re: I Wonder How the New Captain Marvel Will Do?
« Reply #175 on: April 23, 2019, 09:13:53 PM »
I saw an interview where Don Cheadle pointedly talked about handing off the franchise and "All Brie has to do is not screw it up."

I've told my wife that I'm going to be considering this movie the end of the MCU. I'm just hoping they don't screw THIS one up before they do hand it off to the SJW who will screw it all up.

:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ3jMs0lVXY
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2019, 02:20:21 AM »
Larson only gets 15 minutes of screentime in Endgame. I won"t post any spoilers. :)
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2019, 06:59:05 AM »
Larson only gets 15 minutes of screentime in Endgame. I won"t post any spoilers. :)

Thank you. We're seeing it today and I was quite afraid they would screw this up a la Star Wars.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2019, 02:56:39 PM »
Thank you. We're seeing it today and I was quite afraid they would screw this up a la Star Wars.

Definitely not screwed up. There is one girl power moment, but then its back to what it should be.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2019, 06:34:48 PM »
'Avengers' fans cry foul over Washington Post 'spoiler' headline

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/avengers-spoiler-headline-washington-post-article

Oops.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2019, 08:45:02 PM »
Going Sunday at 1:30. Thanks for the non-spoiler words of encouragement.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2019, 03:01:31 PM »
Definitely not screwed up. There is one girl power moment, but then its back to what it should be.

I thought that girl power moment was not done very well.  I am not sure if I should say more as I don't want to spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it.  I will just say that there is zero subtlety in social justice movement stuff.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2019, 03:12:24 PM »
I thought that girl power moment was not done very well.  I am not sure if I should say more as I don't want to spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it.  I will just say that there is zero subtlety in social justice movement stuff.

Yep. That's because MESSAGE!!!! is what is important to them, not story. And so they are blatant in their messaging because that's what's important. (To them.)

Also, they aren't all that talented, so they don't realize that a subtle message is more powerful.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2019, 03:23:33 PM »
I thought that girl power moment was not done very well.
No, it was not.  It didn't make any kind of sense, least of all practically.

Seriously, given the entrance that the person that was holding the object at that time had made, what need was there for a girl power moment?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 03:46:09 PM by cordex »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2019, 03:38:42 PM »
Probably just to appease the actress who did Marvel.  I skipped Marvel and went straight to endgame. Missed nothing thanks to internet spoilers and trailers of Marvel.
I'll watch Marvel on netflix in a few months.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #188 on: May 07, 2019, 10:34:50 PM »
Saw Captain Marvel and then immediately saw Endgame after the credits.

Yup. It was a quite noticeable moment. But luckily seemed to really be the only big thing like that.
Captain Marvel however had a lot. They even managed to throw in an anti-Trump part in there, in a movie taking place in the 90's. Overall it was enjoyable as an MCU superhero action movie. Although I was actually pretty confused in the overall plot and how it fit in with what was already established regarding them as seen in Guardians of the Galaxy. The entire thing that they were doing actually made no sense and they never once actually explained why they were doing what they were doing.
Purposely being vague in order to not spoil anything.

I skipped Marvel and went straight to endgame. Missed nothing thanks to internet spoilers and trailers of Marvel.

Frankly, you miss nothing by skipping Marvel. The only thing to tie the two together is Captain Marvel herself. But the events that take place in Marvel have no overall bearing on Engame; no references to be missed or plot points.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #189 on: May 07, 2019, 10:50:43 PM »
I think the Captain Marvel movie made the same mistake as Star Wars Solo.  They tried too hard to tie it into the other story lines instead of just making a good movie.  For all I care, they could have used completely different people and only tied it into the rest of the movies at the tail end.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2019, 10:55:05 PM »
No, it was not.  It didn't make any kind of sense, least of all practically.

Seriously, given the entrance that the person that was holding the object at that time had made, what need was there for a girl power moment?
And it wasn't like there was a shortage of powerful women in the movie.  They could have had the same action take place without "Announcing It".

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #191 on: May 09, 2019, 09:57:42 AM »
Because she may not be woke enough...

https://www.screengeek.net/2019/05/07/captain-marvel-brie-larson-replacement-petition/

Online petition calling for Lasron to be removed from the franchise and replaced by a gay woman of color.  Ah, how quickly they turn on each other...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2019, 10:05:36 AM »

https://www.screengeek.net/2019/05/07/captain-marvel-brie-larson-replacement-petition/

Online petition calling for Lasron to be removed from the franchise and replaced by a gay woman of color.  Ah, how quickly they turn on each other...

I saw that the other day and wondered if it might be a troll from 4chan that started it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #193 on: May 09, 2019, 10:07:43 AM »

Online petition calling for Lasron to be removed from the franchise and replaced by a gay woman of color.  Ah, how quickly they turn on each other...

I say replace her with a trans and then have he/she beat the crap out of Larson to the song "I am woman"
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 09, 2019, 01:20:07 PM »
I demand a handicapable person!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #195 on: May 09, 2019, 01:33:31 PM »

That would be 99% of Hollywood
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #196 on: May 09, 2019, 01:54:23 PM »

And today in humor that will get you hounded out of a job today, but was perfectly acceptable just yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkQQGsOegv0

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2019, 02:20:30 PM »
I saw that the other day and wondered if it might be a troll from 4chan that started it.

Right up their alley.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2019, 02:58:13 PM »
And today in humor that will get you hounded out of a job today, but was perfectly acceptable just yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkQQGsOegv0

From the comments:

"Holy crap they predicted modern day Marvel Comics!"

True enough.  They already have Angry Woman ...

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2019, 06:39:01 PM »

Got one.  Colonel Rhodes, a.k.a. War Machine, became a paraplegic in the Civil War movie.  And he's a person of color so two boxes checked.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)