Author Topic: I Wonder How the New Captain Marvel Will Do?  (Read 21101 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: I Wonder How the New Captain Marvel Will Do?
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 10:07:22 AM »
It probably wasn't clear in my OP, but that's what I meant. It is the actor "sabotaging" the movie because of her personal political beliefs. If I were a producer or investor in the movie, I'd be pretty pissed.

I've never cared about Captain Marvel. I was interested in the movie previously, but the star's actions are making me question that.

What is funny, to me, is that I've never had an issue with superheroines (or just heroines). As a child, I thought Rogue was awesome. (And I was annoyed in the first X-Men movie that she didn't have "her" powers (which she stole from Ms. Marvel) that made her awesome.) Some of my favorite villains were also female. However, the modern turn about how they have to be the BEST EVER!!! and SMASHING MASCULINITY!!! is annoying, and this movie sure is looking that way, thanks to Ms. Larson.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 10:19:58 AM »
My youtube recommendations have been full of Avengers discussion videos and some Captain Marvel.  I haven't seen this subject mentioned at all.  Maybe it will come around.  Most of them lately are focused on the Endgame 2 moving coming soon and act like Captain Marvel already happened.  The only criticism I saw centered around people thinking Larson did not look like what people pictured as Captain Marvel.  Some thought she was too skinny which I thought was a odd.  Most comic characters I remember were always drawn like thin athletic supermodels.  Either way, I don't think they can ever make everyone happy. 

I figure I will see the Captain Marvel movie.  I have seen many of the superhero movies at the theater.  They have mostly been entertaining to watch even if some are better than others.  Even Black Panther (saw that one on video) wasn't bad, it just acted like Wakanda was in the middle of the US instead of in Africa.  Lots of US attitudes on race and such that I am not sure a xenophobic tribe in Africa would share. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2019, 10:21:21 AM »
They should of have done a Black Widow movie years ago.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2019, 10:27:02 AM »
They should of have done a Black Widow movie years ago.
I have heard that discussion a bunch lately.  That was a side movie I never even considered or really cared about.  It would be a departure from the superhero model so it might be interesting.  I saw one discussion video saying it would be more spy movie rather than superhero movie.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2019, 10:29:10 AM »
I have heard that discussion a bunch lately.  That was side movie I never even considered or really cared about.  It would be a departure from the superhero model.  I saw one discussion video saying it would be more spy movie rather than superhero movie.

So was Winter Soldier to a large degree and I consider it still to this day the best of the Marvel movies.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2019, 12:22:43 PM »

My youtube recommendations have been full of Avengers discussion videos and some Captain Marvel.  I haven't seen this subject mentioned at all.  Maybe it will come around.  Most of them lately are focused on the Endgame 2 moving coming soon and act like Captain Marvel already happened.  The only criticism I saw centered around people thinking Larson did not look like what people pictured as Captain Marvel.  Some thought she was too skinny which I thought was a odd.  Most comic characters I remember were always drawn like thin athletic supermodels.  Either way, I don't think they can ever make everyone happy. 

I figure I will see the Captain Marvel movie.  I have seen many of the superhero movies at the theater.  They have mostly been entertaining to watch even if some are better than others.  Even Black Panther (saw that one on video) wasn't bad, it just acted like Wakanda was in the middle of the US instead of in Africa.  Lots of US attitudes on race and such that I am not sure a xenophobic tribe in Africa would share. 

Most of the complaints I've seen centered more on her acting ability.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2019, 12:29:15 PM »
Lol  :rofl:

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2019, 12:33:10 PM »
I don't have a dog in this fight, like I said above I've never read a single comic book in my life. I was just pointing out that the switch from XY to XX happened long before this movie according to wiki

2012 is not all that long ... 5 or 6 years compared to 72 years?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2019, 12:56:13 PM »

This is also what I've heard and were my concern is.

We really follow the Marvel Universe and the Avengers franchise is my favorite of the two, so I'll be real disappointed if they produce a downright bad movie.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2019, 01:08:08 PM »
2012 is not all that long ... 5 or 6 years compared to 72 years?
We're talking Marvel and I think you're stuck in DC
DC Capt Marvel aka Shazam and Marvel Capt Marvel are in two different universes.
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2019, 02:03:19 PM »
This is also what I've heard and were my concern is.

We really follow the Marvel Universe and the Avengers franchise is my favorite of the two, so I'll be real disappointed if they produce a downright bad movie.

It's going to have Samuel L. Jackson and Clark Gregg in it...can't be too bad.  ;)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2019, 02:07:00 PM »
It's going to have Samuel L. Jackson and Clark Gregg in it...can't be too bad.  ;)

The Star Wars prequels also had Samuel L. Jackson in them...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2019, 03:02:21 PM »
The Star Wars prequels also had Samuel L. Jackson in them...
They were better than the last one.   =)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2019, 03:11:49 PM »
They were better than the last one.   =)

A kick to the jimmy is better than the last one.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 03:14:26 PM »

I guess I can't recall anything I have seen that she was in so I don't have an opinion on that part.  

Correction:  
She played the reporter in Kong: Skull Island which I have seen.  I still have no opinion as I hardly remember her other than she was in it.  That also had Samuel L. Jackson and aside from the coolness of being a monster movie was so-so at best.  My complaints were about the script and storyline, not the actors.  The crazy guy they found stranded was the only one I really remembered all that well.  I am more hopeful of the new Godzilla movie.  It is hard to screw up giant monsters fighting it out, but I am sure Hollywood will try.  Maybe they should just shoot it in Japanese and use subtitles or bad dubbing.  
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3731562/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_10

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 03:15:34 PM »
A kick to the jimmy is better than the last one.

That was how I got dragged into the Avenger youtube stuff.  There are boat loads of fan videos on youtube complaining about Star Wars and Disney. 

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 03:40:41 PM »
That was how I got dragged into the Avenger youtube stuff.  There are boat loads of fan videos on youtube complaining about Star Wars and Disney. 

I've stumbled across a couple of those.  I don't see the point of spending an hour or more listing everything one disliked about a movie.  Just give it a thumbs-down and move on.

That said, this one is fairly humorous, if lengthy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPsRp7uUXUk

As an aside, the prequels would have been a lot better if Tarantino had directed them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn8MZgZmeT4

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 05:03:44 PM »

As an aside, the prequels would have been a lot better if Tarantino had directed them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn8MZgZmeT4

My caveman brain got locked in on someone doing a snake dance, but that works also.   =D

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2019, 07:17:46 PM »
We're talking Marvel and I think you're stuck in DC
DC Capt Marvel aka Shazam and Marvel Capt Marvel are in two different universes.

Captain Marvel was a he, and IMHO will always be a he. I grew up in the 1950s, when we didn't have comic hero "universes." The only universe I know is the one G-d created and that I live in. Thus my statements about revisionist clap-trap.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2019, 07:23:27 PM »
Captain Marvel was a he, and IMHO will always be a he. I grew up in the 1950s, when we didn't have comic hero "universes." The only universe I know is the one G-d created and that I live in. Thus my statements about revisionist clap-trap.

Well, since the first apperance of Captain Marvel was issue 89 of the Avengers in 1971, I have a feeling you may not know what you are even talking about.  ;/

Furthermore, Danvers wasn't even the first woman to take on the title after Mar Vell died. The female Captain Marvel is old news. The fact that the actress playing her might suck and has decided to play to the SJW crowd like a female Captain Marvel is some kind of big deal is the real issue.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2019, 08:15:08 PM »

You don't need different universes,  these aren't even the same franchise.  It's like saying that Capt Kirk was your favorite Star Wars character and the rest are revisionist *expletive deleted*it because they came after and have space ships.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2019, 08:45:46 PM »
Well, since the first apperance of Captain Marvel was issue 89 of the Avengers in 1971, I have a feeling you may not know what you are even talking about.  ;/

The first appearance of Captain Marvel was in February of 1940.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2019, 09:09:40 PM »
The first appearance of Captain Marvel was in February of 1940.

What I've learned from this is there are two different Captain Marvels.  I'm not sure how DC and Marvel Comics managed to do that; one should have been a copyright and/or trademark violation.  Perhaps if DC's character was first and Marvel used their own name...
"It's good, though..."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2019, 09:12:01 PM »
You don't need different universes,  these aren't even the same franchise.  It's like saying that Capt Kirk was your favorite Star Wars character and the rest are revisionist *expletive deleted*it because they came after and have space ships.

Dude, that actually made beer come out of my nose from laughing.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2019, 10:08:27 PM »
What I've learned from this is there are two different Captain Marvels.  I'm not sure how DC and Marvel Comics managed to do that; one should have been a copyright and/or trademark violation.  Perhaps if DC's character was first and Marvel used their own name...

It's explained in the Wikipedia article I linked several posts above.