Author Topic: I Wonder How the New Captain Marvel Will Do?  (Read 21102 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: I Wonder How the New Captain Marvel Will Do?
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2019, 11:10:34 PM »
It's explained in the Wikipedia article I linked several posts above.

DUDE! That's DC! We're talking about this guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(Marvel_Comics)

Totally different character, written by a totally different company in a totally different comic book! He has nothing to do with Shazam, which is who you are talking about.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2019, 11:15:44 PM »
Liz, the article I gave a link to explains the development and the relationship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(DC_Comics)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2019, 11:56:34 PM »
Liz, the article I gave a link to explains the development and the relationship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(DC_Comics)

It does. Completely different characters. Completely different companies. No relationship at all.

You're still talking about Shazam.

Marvel's Captain Marvel has nothing to do with the Captain Marvel created by Fawcett and who was bought out by DC!! The link (and lawsuit) was over Shazam's similarity to Superman (who's owned by DC!)

There is no connection between the two.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2019, 04:53:17 AM »
Hawkmoon,

I believe this is the superhero movie you are trying to hate on:

https://youtu.be/Wc9WwU-5BJQ

Happy to help.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2019, 07:57:54 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2019, 08:55:11 AM »

Thank-you!  I was trying to find a good video clip of Gomer saying "Shazam!" last night.
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2019, 09:03:58 AM »
Ok, I actually read the wiki links and can see the issues.

ACCORDING to Wiki, the original Captain Mar-Vell was created in 1967. He died in 1982 (and, AMAZINGLY, has remained dead) and was replaced by a female Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau.

(We're going to leave that thread there).

Carl Danvers, the character that is now Captain Marvel, was created in 1968 and gained her powers to become Ms. Marvel in 1977.
1968:

1977:

After years as Ms. Marvel (and having provided Rogue with her proper powers), she took on the mantle of Captain Marvel in 2012. (Something having happened to several other Captain Marvels that I'm not going to care to track down.) Ms. Marvel was a common character in the Avengers comics, it seems.

There. Now I have lots of useless information in my head that I didn't really care about in the first place.

So, those who are remembering a Captain Marvel prior to 1968 are remembering what is today more commonly known as "Shazam".
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 09:19:24 AM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2019, 09:22:38 AM »
So, after that download of information, I think this movie would be more properly titled "Ms. Marvel", as her character was Ms. Marvel for the entire era that the current Marvel Cinematic Universe comes from, but it's not a big deal one way or the other. I'm more concerned with the story (or lack thereof) and am concerned this is the beginning of the Star-Warsization of the MCU.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2019, 09:45:54 AM »
There does seem to be a push to pump up the women characters.  The more I think about it, the Black Widow movie could be pretty good, but neither will be good if they go into it with a PC agenda. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2019, 11:24:33 AM »
Her latest

Brie Larson isn’t letting ‘Captain Marvel’ press tour be ‘overwhelmingly’ white and male
https://nypost.com/2019/02/12/brie-larson-isnt-letting-captain-marvel-press-tour-be-overwhelmingly-white-and-male/

It's not going to matter if the movie is any good when the lead actor is trying to be what the iceberg was to the Titanic.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2019, 12:42:10 PM »
Why would anyone want to see a movie starring someone named after a smelly French cheese?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2019, 02:08:31 PM »
A lot of anger out there about "revisionism" in these film franchises. I just want to say that when I was a young lad, this so-called "queso" was called "nacho cheese." It's nacho cheese, confound it! I don't care what you whippersnappers call it these days, I'm sticking with "nacho cheese"!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2019, 08:09:20 PM »
Dude, that actually made beer come out of my nose from laughing.

Heh,  sorry to waste good brew!
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2019, 08:28:53 PM »
Cartoons are fun.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2019, 08:05:37 AM »
Her mouth has gone into plaid

Brie Larson Confirms Marvel Wants to Make Captain Marvel a “Big Feminist Movie”
https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/02/12/brie-larson-confirms-marvel-wants-to-make-captain-marvel-a-big-feminist-movie/

Brie Larson on being Captain Marvel: Never thought I’d get to talk about feminism
https://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/hollywood/brie-larson-captain-marvel-feminism-5583756/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2019, 08:12:11 AM »
Who Are Captain Marvel & Star Trek: Discovery Made For?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUGt2QmoNDI
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2019, 08:21:01 AM »
Who Are Captain Marvel & Star Trek: Discovery Made For?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUGt2QmoNDI

Superman could time travel when I was a kid. The current version of Superman can't time travel? Why not?

Wonder Woman killed a god. How much more powerful can Carol Danvers/Ms.Marvel be than that?

Sheesh!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2019, 08:51:24 AM »
Her mouth has gone into plaid

Brie Larson Confirms Marvel Wants to Make Captain Marvel a “Big Feminist Movie”
https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/02/12/brie-larson-confirms-marvel-wants-to-make-captain-marvel-a-big-feminist-movie/

Brie Larson on being Captain Marvel: Never thought I’d get to talk about feminism
https://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/hollywood/brie-larson-captain-marvel-feminism-5583756/
If they just make a good movie with a good female superhero character, it will be hailed as a big feminism victory.  If they go overboard trying to "make it" a big feminist movie, that could screw it up.

The movie is already done and coming out soon so we will see.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2019, 09:49:08 AM »
If they just make a good movie with a good female superhero character, it will be hailed as a big feminism victory.  

Not really. It would only prove that women can be strong and powerful heros in a fictional universe in which they can also have superpowers, and some African hermit kingdom has the most advanced technology.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2019, 10:01:09 AM »
I don't remember a big feminist brouhaha with Wonder Woman. Am I wrong? I know some of the usual characters popped up with hard core feminist stuff like they do with everything, but other than "strong female character", I don't recall the film's producers pushing more of the feminist agenda than any of them usually would for advertising and publicity. I enjoyed Wonder Woman.

Since my initial thoughts on this movie -- that this is 100% the actress -- are wrong, and the producers are pushing it as feminism, then I have no interest in seeing it, even on streaming or DVD. I look at this overt "stupid white guys" stuff the same way I look at TDS in Hollywood. I don't need to hear it, and if I miss a good movie because of it, I still consider myself better off.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2019, 10:28:26 AM »
I don't remember a big feminist brouhaha with Wonder Woman. Am I wrong? I know some of the usual characters popped up with hard core feminist stuff like they do with everything, but other than "strong female character", I don't recall the film's producers pushing more of the feminist agenda than any of them usually would for advertising and publicity. I enjoyed Wonder Woman.

I enjoyed the movie too but thought that there were parts where the "a woman in a man's world" were done ham fisted and would have been more effective if done with a bit more finesse
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2019, 10:36:39 AM »

Since my initial thoughts on this movie -- that this is 100% the actress -- are wrong, and the producers are pushing it as feminism, then I have no interest in seeing it, even on streaming or DVD. I look at this overt "stupid white guys" stuff the same way I look at TDS in Hollywood. I don't need to hear it, and if I miss a good movie because of it, I still consider myself better off.

There was a brouhaha about the WW trailer showing her shaved pits, but maybe that was just hard-code loony thing.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/03/20/wonder-woman-armpits_n_15488256.html
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2019, 10:38:39 AM »
I enjoyed the movie too but thought that there were parts where the "a woman in a man's world" were done ham fisted and would have been more effective if done with a bit more finesse

I agree, but figure we're just not in an era of "a little goes a long way" anymore. Every stinkin' thing has to have some PC crap injected into it.

I recently binged season 2 of The Punisher. I think The Punisher is one of the best things Netflix has ever done. Still, I had the mild disappointment this season of seeing the secondary bad guy(s) being the white "alt right" religious zealots (as described by the characters). That's just Netflix TDS. Can we not have antifa or somebody as a bad guy? The bad guys always have to be old white guys (and old white women in this case) with a "conservative" background anymore. If I want an Al Gore or George Soros dirty commie pinko type antagonist anymore, I have to read a book. Which I'm doing a lot more vs having the TV on these days.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2019, 10:41:02 AM »
There was a brouhaha about the WW trailer showing her shaved pits, but maybe that was just hard-code loony thing.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/03/20/wonder-woman-armpits_n_15488256.html

Yeah I remember that, I think someone at huffpost was bored out of their skull that day.
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2019, 10:50:09 AM »
Ben said, "If I want an Al Gore or George Soros dirty commie pinko type antagonist anymore, I have to read a book. Which I'm doing a lot more vs having the TV on these days."

Tragifunny.