Author Topic: I Wonder How the New Captain Marvel Will Do?  (Read 21190 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: I Wonder How the New Captain Marvel Will Do?
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2019, 10:59:47 AM »
Not really. It would only prove that women can be strong and powerful heros in a fictional universe in which they can also have superpowers, and some African hermit kingdom has the most advanced technology.
I guess I meant that they would try to claim it as a strong feminist victory. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2019, 11:31:41 AM »
One of the more common things that bugs me in movies and TV shows now-a-days is how often you see a scene where a 115lb woman repeatedly take hits from a room full of 250lb guys and then and she proceeds to knock every one of them out and afterwards has no trouble walking out of the room. It's like every woman now is Wonder Woman.
Yeah, right
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2019, 12:24:38 PM »
I wonder if this will have the same effect as Star Wars, where TLJ ruined the box office for Solo, and if this is a "big feminist movie" then Avengers Endgame might bust.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2019, 12:43:01 PM »
Right now, MCU fans are pretty forgiving since they have been given, when all is said and done, a pretty awesome 22 movie run of nerdgasm.

As long as the movie isn't girl-preachie, it won't matter what noises Brie Larson makes while talking to nobody reporters that MCU fans don't even pay attention to anyways.  An aside, did any of you guys read the interview she did with the black handicapped reporter?  Felt to me like the reporter made the interview more about herself and didn't actually do what a reporter is supposed to do:  expose points of interest in the actual topic people want to read about.

The MCU will survive until a Rose Tico is shoved into it, repeatedly, and the fans are told to just get used to it because you suck and we hate you.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2019, 12:52:20 PM »
Also, Endgame is 1 month after CM probably because they do expect CM to be a lower performer.  I'm a little amazed that Endgame isn't slapped into the "May Blockbuster" slot for 2019.  That's the classic month of the year for this type of movie.  Not putting it there is deliberate; either they have a lot of MCU releases to pack into 2019, or they fear something else in May, or they have low expectations for CM.

But the only other MCU movie for 2019 is Spiderman, and Spidey is a Sony property that is only marginally MCU.  It could be that Sony didn't want to be pushed to July for Spiderman and didn't want to compete inside a 4-week window for Avengers viewers, so they leaned on Marvel/Disney to bump Endgame to April so that Spiderman could be June.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2019, 02:34:19 PM »
Right now, MCU fans are pretty forgiving since they have been given, when all is said and done, a pretty awesome 22 movie run of nerdgasm.

As long as the movie isn't girl-preachie, it won't matter what noises Brie Larson makes while talking to nobody reporters that MCU fans don't even pay attention to anyways.  An aside, did any of you guys read the interview she did with the black handicapped reporter?  Felt to me like the reporter made the interview more about herself and didn't actually do what a reporter is supposed to do:  expose points of interest in the actual topic people want to read about.

The MCU will survive until a Rose Tico is shoved into it, repeatedly, and the fans are told to just get used to it because you suck and we hate you.
I honestly agree with that.  It would have to be pretty actively bad for me to complain too much.  I will likely see it.  I even sort of liked Green Lantern which a lot of people like to crap on.

After all, Scarlett Johansson's pro-Obama crap didn't stop me from watching the others.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2019, 02:40:14 PM »
Agree with what he says at 10:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlamo6I82BU
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2019, 03:48:07 PM »
An aside, did any of you guys read the interview she did with the black handicapped reporter?  Felt to me like the reporter made the interview more about herself and didn't actually do what a reporter is supposed to do:  expose points of interest in the actual topic people want to read about.

Yes. Agree.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2019, 03:50:29 PM »
I've been expecting Marvel Studios to go the way of the comics eventually.

I have small hopes that Endgame won't be a major disappointment. I expect everything after it to be, though. (I expect Disney will learn exactly 0 from Star Wars)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2019, 04:53:42 PM »
Right now the only thing that irks me about the Captain Marvel movie, is the costume.  Specifically, the stupid mohawk the main character gets when her spiffy magical helmet powers activate (but don't cover her mucous membranes).

The helmet doesn't protect in battle from what I can tell, and it doesn't serve to provide a breathing environment.  So it's all for a look.  Which is rather stupid in my estimation.
--Lysander Spooner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2019, 08:34:19 PM »
Right now the only thing that irks me about the Captain Marvel movie, is the costume.  Specifically, the stupid mohawk the main character gets when her spiffy magical helmet powers activate (but don't cover her mucous membranes).

The helmet doesn't protect in battle from what I can tell, and it doesn't serve to provide a breathing environment.  So it's all for a look.  Which is rather stupid in my estimation.

I agree. What I've always enjoyed about Marvel comics and films is the insistence on strict adherence to realism.  :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2019, 08:37:51 PM »

I'm not sure I'm liking the change in her origins. I think they could have kept the original Captain Marvel in it (since he did die) and it would still appease the SJW crowd.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2019, 12:18:13 PM »

I thought I saw one spot in the trailer that seemed to show a field across her face. 

I have no problem with something different.  Theoretically, if we are dealing with interstellar technology I would would expect some fancy stuff.  We will see how it turns out.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2019, 12:27:37 PM »
Agree with what he says at 10:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlamo6I82BU
Interesting.  I hope all this stuff is just Brei Larson mouthing off and doesn't reflect on what is in the movie. 

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2019, 02:07:15 PM »
Now that I've had some time to read about things, I'm worried about her, not the movie.  She's beyond SJW...she's making comments about white men that go beyond what's smart.  Saying she doesn't want to see white men at C ok miCon.  Who does she think the majority of the ComiCon needs are?  Read an article yesterday that insiders are predicting a big hit to the initial ticket sales.  Said Black Panther people were smart enough to make it about SJW, but just celebrate a great movie starring black people made by black people.  Larson didn't learn that lesson.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2019, 08:32:44 PM »
Now that I've had some time to read about things, I'm worried about her, not the movie.  She's beyond SJW...she's making comments about white men that go beyond what's smart.  Saying she doesn't want to see white men at C ok miCon.  Who does she think the majority of the ComiCon needs are?  Read an article yesterday that insiders are predicting a big hit to the initial ticket sales.  Said Black Panther people were smart enough to make it about SJW, but just celebrate a great movie starring black people made by black people.  Larson didn't learn that lesson.

Current outlook is not good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYLwbR6uQH4
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2019, 08:49:21 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2019, 08:50:51 PM »
Current outlook is not good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYLwbR6uQH4

One of the most interesting things that smacked me in the face from that video was in the comments: The Alien franchise was led by a female character.

I never even thought about that. Why? Because Ripley wasn't a badass male character. Ripley wasn't a badass female character. Ripley was just a badass character. Neither the franchise nor the script built her up as "a strong woman!" or made any other qualifiers as to why being a female character made her better than a male character. Because she was just a character. That made (most of) the movies enjoyable. No politics, no diversity, no SJW nagging - just "Here's the protagonist who happens to be female."

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2019, 09:24:47 PM »
One of the most interesting things that smacked me in the face from that video was in the comments: The Alien franchise was led by a female character.

I never even thought about that. Why? Because Ripley wasn't a badass male character. Ripley wasn't a badass female character. Ripley was just a badass character. Neither the franchise nor the script built her up as "a strong woman!" or made any other qualifiers as to why being a female character made her better than a male character. Because she was just a character. That made (most of) the movies enjoyable. No politics, no diversity, no SJW nagging - just "Here's the protagonist who happens to be female."

And that's how it should be. A good story and a good character doesn't need to be woke.

And there are plenty of female leads in action, scfi and horror. For example, the Resident Evil franchise. I've lost track of how many of those there are.

What's more is the comic book world was "woke" long before "woke" was a thing. One of Marvel's oldest, strongest and most iconic X Men is a black woman.

I think anyone who's been a fan in the related genre's of action, scfi and horror in all forms of media for more than the past few years is justifiably annoyed by all the SJW crap. If anything, these are THE genre's that never had a problem with strong female or POC leads.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2019, 09:34:14 PM »
What's more is the comic book world was "woke" long before "woke" was a thing. One of Marvel's oldest, strongest and most iconic X Men is a black woman.

I think anyone who's been a fan in the related genre's of action, scfi and horror in all forms of media for more than the past few years is justifiably annoyed by all the SJW crap. If anything, these are THE genre's that never had a problem with strong female or POC leads.

Yeah, but those examples don't count, because the comics weren't making straight white guys feel like bisexual black women were better and nicer than we are.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2019, 09:38:18 PM »

Yeah, but those examples don't count, because the comics weren't making straight white guys feel like bisexual black women were better and nicer than we are.

I'm pretty sure Storm is better and nicer than you are.

And she could hit you with lightning, which would be funny.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2019, 10:49:28 PM »
There are lots of examples of bar ass characters who happen to be women... Ripley is the big names from Aliens, but how about Vanquez, the machine gunner?  Clearly a bad ass.  Gender for that character means as much as hair color...just a descriptive.  How about Sarah Connor?  Yeah, she had to be a woman because of the mother to John Connor thing, but still bad ass.  Lewis from RoboCop.  Marion Ravewood from Raiders of the Lost Ark was pretty bad ass.  Zoe and Rover Tam on Serenity/Firefly.  Clarice Staling from Silence of the Lambs.  And these are just off the top of my head.  Why they stick out to me?  Like Liz said, the characters were good, and were bad ass.  Most handled a weapon really well, which is bonus points for me.  Oh, they were women too.  That says it all...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2019, 10:51:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure Storm is better and nicer than you are.

And she could hit you with lightning, which would be funny.

Nuh uh, I'm super-nice.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2019, 12:44:20 AM »
Nuh uh, I'm super-nice.

But can you hurl lightning bolts?
"It's good, though..."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2019, 01:04:47 AM »

The Alien screenplay was written without the sex of any characters in mind, and CameronRidley Scott made that decision in casting.

Edit: Brain fart
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:29:01 PM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?