Author Topic: Drunk Driving Checkpoints  (Read 1171 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Drunk Driving Checkpoints
« on: February 12, 2019, 10:36:22 PM »
This was interesting to me because only a few days ago I heard something about  I think NYC trying to prevent Waze from having checkpoints show up on nav maps because it causes people to avoid them and "hey - they're for public safety!" Now I read the below where in Charlotte they're thinking of removing checkpoints because they make illegals nervous.

Topsy turvy world we've got going right now.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/02/12/problematic-drunk-driving-checkpoints-are-reportedly-making-illegal-immigrants-nervous/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Drunk Driving Checkpoints
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 07:40:03 AM »
Here in Oklahoma they are considering a 20% tax on Uber/ride share fares to go toward drunk driver prevention.
 :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 09:16:30 AM »
Here in Oklahoma they are considering a 20% tax on Uber/ride share fares to go toward drunk driver prevention.

How do we incentive? ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 12:12:24 AM »
How do we incentive? ???

Pretty much this.  There's research out there showing that the decreased cost and increased convenience of Uber/Lyft and similar services is such that it decreased drunk driving by a measurable amount.  A 20% tax on transport fees would be reversing that.

And their idiocy is confirmed:
https://www.theadvocates.org/2019/02/ok-lawmakers-want-to-penalize-uber-users-for-not-drinking-and-driving/

How about this?  A 20% tax on bar served alcoholic beverages?  That might actually work.  Some.

In my experience, more cops on the street running DUI checkpoints is the MOST expensive way to reduce drunk driving.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 05:53:00 AM »

Just a standard case of “*expletive deleted*ck the person trying to do the right thing to fill our coffers”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 08:09:13 AM »
Thank goodness I live in Michigan.  Our state supreme court declared DUI checkpoints to be patently unconstitutional several years ago.  I don't like drunk drivers, but I dislike trampling on our inherent right to move around without the government interfering with that right even more.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 08:55:52 AM »
Just a standard case of “*expletive deleted*ck the person trying to do the right thing to fill our coffers”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking back at gun control, they are at least being consistent.  Everyone is a criminal.  They just have to catch you.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 09:26:55 AM »

How about this?  A 20% tax on bar served alcoholic beverages?  

No.

How about this?  We only punish people who are the problem. And by punish I mean actually punish.  Jail time, revoked license, fines, etc.  Not just probation and a gentle tap on the wrist.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 10:46:53 AM »
No.

How about this?  We only punish people who are the problem. And by punish I mean actually punish.  Jail time, revoked license, fines, etc.  Not just probation and a gentle tap on the wrist.

You SAVAGE! Have you no compassion?

[/sarcasm mode]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 10:52:54 AM »
No.

Following this precedent, how are they supposed to meet quota's for the department's or city's coffers?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 11:21:31 AM »
Following this precedent, how are they supposed to meet quota's for the department's or city's coffers?

Asset forfeiture, imminent domain, and bribes.  The usual.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 03:39:06 PM »
Asset forfeiture, imminent domain, and bribes.  The usual.

You forgot the red light cameras.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds