Author Topic: Paging Viking  (Read 945 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Paging Viking
« on: December 14, 2019, 06:07:47 PM »
Viking to the white courtesy phone, please.

https://news.yahoo.com/video/greta-thunberg-apologizes-221606065.html

So Greta is trying to walk back her comment that those who don't agree with her should be "put against a wall" (which most readers will interpret to mean be executed by firing squad) by claiming that her words didn't mean what they said. She claims it's just a literal translation of a Swedish expression for putting people "on the spot."

True?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Paging Viking
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 08:49:21 PM »
She comes from a political philosophy that has a long history of murdering those who disagree.  So, my willingness to be charitable in interpretation of her comments is limited.

ETA: somehow the last couple words of my post got chopped.  Fixed it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 12:43:10 AM by sumpnz »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 12:25:34 AM »
I'm just impressed by how quick she went there. The smart ones lie for a decade or two.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 06:45:25 AM »
Viking to the white courtesy phone, please.

https://news.yahoo.com/video/greta-thunberg-apologizes-221606065.html

So Greta is trying to walk back her comment that those who don't agree with her should be "put against a wall" (which most readers will interpret to mean be executed by firing squad) by claiming that her words didn't mean what they said. She claims it's just a literal translation of a Swedish expression for putting people "on the spot."

True?
Actually truth. Means to confront someone. Like a journalist sneaking up on you for example.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 10:52:26 AM »

True?

Actually truth. Means to confront someone. Like a journalist sneaking up on you for example.

Well hell, there you go, instead of losing your *expletive deleted*it over a perceived slight someone actually wanted to clarify it before jumping on with both feet. You sir will never make a good liberal or MSM pundit (that's a good thing). ;)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 10:58:08 AM »

Thank you.

Quote from: BobR

Well hell, there you go, instead of losing your *expletive deleted*it over a perceived slight someone actually wanted to clarify it before jumping on with both feet. You sir will never make a good liberal or MSM pundit (that's a good thing).

Greta says enough things I can legitimately take issue with that I don't need to waste my disapprobation on innocent mistakes engendered by a language gap.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 06:22:01 PM by Hawkmoon »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 11:03:53 AM »
I actually don't believe that she, personally, meant "firing squad". I mean, in English, we use "backs against the wall" to imply what she said she was implying. However, she has associated herself with a movement that would have no problem with the "shoot them" meaning.

I steal from Andiron's post in the other Greta thread to illustrate the point:

http://blog.joehuffman.org/2018/02/22/alison-aires-thanks-for-sharing/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 11:34:35 AM »
https://youtu.be/37nlTmRHvf8

Be sure to watch to the end for relevance to this thread.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 04:56:54 PM »
The meaning of that particular phrase aside, it wouldn't surprise me if the little Stalin Youth has a future in some Earth First type eco-terrorist group.