Author Topic: NRA and Los Angeles  (Read 1382 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
NRA and Los Angeles
« on: February 13, 2019, 01:11:21 PM »
LA city council passes law that you must disclose "ties" to the NRA if applying for any city contracts.

I'll be curious to see how this might hold up in court. Though I'm not sure anyone will take trouble to go to court (outside of maybe the NRA). Note that Los Angeles forbids asking prospective employees if they have a criminal history.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2019/02/13/2a-alert-cam-edwards-and-others-hammer-progressive-priorities-after-l-a-passes-law-about-disclosing-nra-ties/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: NRA and Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 03:16:56 PM »
Weren't there already court precedents about memberships in organizations? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 03:40:15 PM »
I lost my NRA membership card in a boating accident.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 05:00:40 PM »
Don't worry the Typhus outbreak will probably get the city council first.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 05:58:28 PM »
Wouldn't that be a Bill of Attainder?  (unconstitutional)
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 06:08:39 AM »
Wouldn't that be a Bill of Attainder?  (unconstitutional)

So say you.

So say I.

But it's constitutional until a court says it isn't.

One of the biggest problems in this country is that the founders assumed legislators would look at the constitution first before proposing a law.

The other biggest problem is the founders assumed that lawmakers would be honorable men and would take their oaths of office seriously.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the way politics got to be an industry instead of a calling.

There.  I said it and I ain't takin' it back.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:39:45 AM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 08:44:10 AM »
So say you.

So say I.

One of the biggest problems in this country is that the founders assumed legislators would look at the constitution first before proposing a law.

The other biggest problem is the founders assumed that lawmakers would be honorable men and would take their oaths of office seriously.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the way politics got to be an industry instead of a calling.

Terry, 230RN
I think they assumed the people would rebel again if those things happened. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 12:12:20 PM »
So say you.

So say I.

Terry, 230RN

If all laws made were presumptive UNCONSTITUTIONAL from the start,  can you imagine what the court system would be like?

And .... still no gaurantee our legislatures would care about the Constitution.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 03:19:07 AM »
TommyGunn remarked,

If all laws made were presumptively UNCONSTITUTIONAL from the start,  can you imagine what the court system would be like?

An interesting concept.  I think I'll mull that one over for a while.

I've suggested for decades that all laws have to have an expiration date, and that two have to be repealed for another to pass, but that's an interesting twist, so thank you, TommyGunn.

However, we must keep in mind that it is the essential function of any government of any form whatsoever, to progressively limit freedoms.

Terry, 230RN

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 06:43:59 AM »
. . . Note that Los Angeles forbids asking prospective employees if they have a criminal history. . .
Would that include people applying for a job as the salesman at a sporting goods retailer's gun counter?

Or as a clerk in a pharmacy that stocks opioids and such?

What about bank tellers? Security guards? Police, fire, EMS, teachers, day care workers?

:facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 09:44:45 AM »
Necro:

So a judge has blocked this in LA.

Perplexing side note: The article mentioned that the NRA apparently dropped a lawsuit against San Francisco regarding labeling the NRA as a "domestic terror organization". One would think that would be at least as valid a lawsuit as the one on LA.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/judge-blocks-los-angeles-law-requiring-city-contractors-to-disclose-nra-ties
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."