Author Topic: Here we go again - another mass shooting  (Read 2268 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Here we go again - another mass shooting
« on: February 15, 2019, 11:56:55 PM »
In Aurora, Illinois.

http://www.newser.com/article/0d536cf3998344a097757f87832b6aca/employee-being-fired-fatally-shoots-5-co-workers-in-illinois.html

So I'll have to chase down the answers to my usual questions that the article didn't address: was the gun (or guns) obtained legally, and was the place a "gun free" zone?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Here we go again - another mass shooting
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 08:44:27 AM »
Listened to the news last night driving home from work.

I was left with the impression he was a 15 year military veteran.

Read some articles this morning and they kept using “15 year veteran” but only specified a couple of times out of all the times the phrase was used that he was a 15 year veteran of the company.

Maybe he was a military vet or maybe not, but they sure were trying to make it seem they way.

*expletive deleted*ing lying fake news
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 09:19:13 AM »
Just ran across a report the handgun was a revolver.

Don’t see that very often in these events.

Looks like an ex con who moved up here from Mississippi, probably an illegally owned weapon.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 09:28:30 AM »
Just ran across a report the handgun was a revolver.

Don’t see that very often in these events.

Looks like an ex con who moved up here from Mississippi, probably an illegally owned weapon.

Keep reading in reports that he used a green laser. Here come the calls to ban lasers.
And revolver or not cue the knee jerk reaction calls for a magazine capacity ban.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 10:36:30 AM »
The I-Team has learned that Martin has a criminal background, and that he was convicted in 1995 for aggravated assault, a felony, in Mississippi and served two and a half years in the Mississippi Department of Corrections. It was not immediately known if he had a criminal record in Illinois.

"It sounded like a machine gun," said a neighbor named Maria.
Revolver?

https://abc7chicago.com/aurora-shooting-5-dead-multiple-wounded-including-officers;-gunman-also-dead/5141841/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 12:20:34 PM »
Revolver?

https://abc7chicago.com/aurora-shooting-5-dead-multiple-wounded-including-officers;-gunman-also-dead/5141841/

Double action revolvers can be fired very quickly --- even single actions if you practice practice practice and then also practice.
Jerry Miculek and Adolf Topperwein come to mind.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 12:25:38 PM »
Double action revolvers can be fired very quickly --- even single actions if you practice practice practice and then also practice.
Jerry Miculek and Adolf Topperwein come to mind.

You don't have to tell me. Miculek's trigger finger is a class 3 device.
I just found the "it sounded like a machine gun" remark a bit funny.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 03:21:23 PM »
Ziman said that, after officials discovered Martin's felony, a letter was sent notifying him that his FOID card had been revoked and informing him that he was required to relinquish his firearm to local authorities. She added that law enforcement is now investigating if they ever followed up with Martin.

Shooter in Aurora, Illinois, manufacturing plant wasn't legally allowed to own gun
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/shooter-aurora-illinois-manufacturing-plant-wasn-t-legally-allowed-own-n972436?cid=eml_nbn_20190216
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 03:36:52 PM »
Shooter in Aurora, Illinois, manufacturing plant wasn't legally allowed to own gun
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/shooter-aurora-illinois-manufacturing-plant-wasn-t-legally-allowed-own-n972436?cid=eml_nbn_20190216

So he had a 1995 felony conviction but he was given an Illinois FOID card in 2014. I'd say the question isn't why he didn't turn in the gun when his FOID was revoked, but why the State of Illinois issued him an FOID in the first place. The FOID card's purpose is supposed to be to prevent prohibited people from possessing firearms. A background check is [supposedly] performed prior to issuing an FOID.

Great job, Illinois.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 04:25:06 PM »
I see that the SWAT team members are carrying several NiteIze SpotLit clip on lights.  I have one of these on my dog's collar, so we can see him out in the back forty at night-time.  I wonder what the SWAT personnel use them for. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 05:32:20 PM »
I see that the SWAT team members are carrying several NiteIze SpotLit clip on lights.  I have one of these on my dog's collar, so we can see him out in the back forty at night-time.  I wonder what the SWAT personnel use them for.  

Marking victims?
Maybe different colors for their condition?
Just guessing here.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 06:29:42 PM »
They're Christmas lights; they just haven't gotten around to taking them down yet.  :police:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 08:34:39 PM »
They're Christmas lights; they just haven't gotten around to taking them down yet.  :police:

:rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 09:38:28 PM »
I would guess the little, clip-on LEDs are for something similar to what we used colored smoke for in the infantry.

Or, they just like 'em cuz there purty.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 10:57:19 PM »
I was wondering if the lights are used to show if an area/room has been cleared.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 09:35:00 AM »
I was wondering if the lights are used to show if an area/room has been cleared.
Some of the guys on the team I have played with use them like that.  Specifically if they shoot a guy they have to leave one of the team in the room with him even if the rest of the guys have to move on.  They'll drop an LED in the hall outside the room to remind them (or the patrol guys coming in afterward) that there is a good guy pinned in that room to reduce the chances of a blue on blue exchange.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 10:49:43 AM »
So he had a 1995 felony conviction but he was given an Illinois FOID card in 2014. I'd say the question isn't why he didn't turn in the gun when his FOID was revoked, but why the State of Illinois issued him an FOID in the first place. The FOID card's purpose is supposed to be to prevent prohibited people from possessing firearms. A background check is [supposedly] performed prior to issuing an FOID.

Great job, Illinois.
Illinois enabled a convicted felon to evade Federal law prohibiting convicted felons from buying or possessing firearms. There ought to be some criminal culpability here.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 10:54:02 AM »

How long does it take folks to get suited up like that?

HankB: "Illinois enabled a convicted felon to evade Federal law prohibiting convicted felons from buying or possessing firearms. There ought to be some criminal culpability here."

Roger that eleventy.

Terry, 230RN

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 12:55:03 PM »
Some detail on the background checks, and lack of follow-up.

https://ricochet.com/598013/firearms-background-checks/

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 07:04:16 PM »
Some detail on the background checks, and lack of follow-up.

https://ricochet.com/598013/firearms-background-checks/

In spite of the timeline, no one knows where the system broke down. The search has begun by the Illinois State Police, and the Aurora Police Department to find out the why, and how Mr. Martin still retained his handgun for five years after he was informed he could no longer possess a handgun.

That's a valid question, but it would be a moot point if the "system" had prevented him from purchasing the firearm in the first place. I still think the more important question is how he was allowed to obtain an FOID and then purchase a firearm in Illinois with a felony conviction on his record.

Why aren't they talking about that?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:43:33 AM by Hawkmoon »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 10:14:39 PM »
That's a valid question, but it would be a mot point if the "system" had prevented him from purchasing the firearm in the first place. I still think the more important question is how he was allowed to obtain an FOID and then purchase a firearm in Illinois with a felony conviction on his record.

Why aren't they talking about that?

If by "they" you mean the folks at Ricochet, I refer you to the comments. Some interesting detail there.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 12:19:48 AM »

If by "they" you mean the folks at Ricochet, I refer you to the comments. Some interesting detail there.

By "they" I was referring to the lamestream media in general and collectively.