Author Topic: Google Duo  (Read 480 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Google Duo
« on: February 16, 2019, 06:18:11 PM »
As much as I've been ragging on Google of late, I'm pretty impressed with Google Duo. Some relatives in Germany got me to start using it recently and it is smooth and intuitive.

I haven't used other video calling apps* because they all require more bandwidth than the crappy 5/1mb that I have. Duo sails right through it, and for when my wireless gets crappy, the 4G out here usually gives me a minimum of 5/5mb, so I can always switch to that and just eat data if necessary.

It is also a great solution for Android to Apple calls. My nephew in law has an iPhone, and  ihave been using it with him to videochat with my grand niece. He says he likes it better than facetime or whatever the Apple app is.

Anyways, recommended.

*Also haven't used video apps just from being a curmudgeon, but it's kinda fun now to see the relatives in Krautland when I talk to them, and a blast with my grand niece.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:52:52 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zahc

• friend
Re: Google Duo
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 06:40:25 PM »
Duo is nice because I can surf the internet while talking. The video window minimizes into a thumbnail, and whoever I'm talking to doesn't necessarily even know. Can't do that with some other video chat apps.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 12:50:27 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 01:17:33 PM »
Signal instant messenger also has voice and video calling, plus will run on iOS or Android. Not sure of the bandwidth requirements; but its encrypted end to end.