Author Topic: Secret confession time: I am not a fan of cake donuts  (Read 3605 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Secret confession time: I am not a fan of cake donuts
« on: February 18, 2019, 10:15:13 PM »
I was just watching a clip on how Krispy Kreme donuts are made, and it made me realize that I am just not fond of cake donuts.  Give me a raised yeast donut any day, and an apple fritter or Bismark twice on Sundays. That is all.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Secret confession time: I am not a fan of cake donuts
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 10:31:31 PM »
French Crullers.  The glazed round ones with treads that make them look like little blonde tractor tires.  Yum!

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 11:27:10 PM »
French Crullers.  The glazed round ones with treads that make them look like little blonde tractor tires.  Yum!

Hell yes and Persians (which are a raised cinnamon roll that is deep fat fried instead of baked)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 11:40:52 PM »
Hell yes and Persians (which are a raised cinnamon roll that is deep fat fried instead of baked)

Crullers is yes. Don't recall ever having a Persian, but anything cinnamon is a winner.

Cake donuts >>>>>>> than Krispy Kreme.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 12:18:21 AM »
A group of us at work get donuts every payday (bi-weekly).  I always go for the fritter.  Usually break it in half as they're huge, and half is plenty.  Plus that helps make sure there's plenty to go around.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 03:58:33 AM »
I don’t really care for cake donuts either...especially Dunkin Donuts. Local donut places taste better but still not a fan.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 06:56:34 AM »
My absolute favorite donuts are blueberry cake and maple glazed yeast raised.

I'll eat other kinds, but those two are in serious danger if I'm around.

What I'm not fond of in the way of donuts are jelly filled or anything with sprinkles.

I'll make an exception for lemon curd filled.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 07:10:31 AM »
Crullers is yes. Don't recall ever having a Persian, but anything cinnamon is a winner.

Cake donuts >>>>>>> than Krispy Kreme.

Got any Casey's General Stores (gas station) near you? They sell a glazed Persian which is pretty good.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 07:15:51 AM »
Got any Casey's General Stores (gas station) near you? They sell a glazed Persian which is pretty good.

Not had any of their donuts, but their coffee is REALLY good.

FAR better than 7-11, better than Love's, and right up there with Sheetz.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 07:35:44 AM »
I don't like any donuts, but I will eat a basket of real, fresh croissants.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 08:26:09 AM »
I was just watching a clip on how Krispy Kreme donuts are made, and it made me realize that I am just not fond of cake donuts.  Give me a raised yeast donut any day, and an apple fritter or Bismark twice on Sundays. That is all.

I've heard people around here rave about Krispy Kreme.  Tried one.   "Meh."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 08:32:12 AM »
I don't like any donuts, but I will eat a basket of real, fresh croissants.

Croissants are my preference as well, but if not in the offering (or is some terrible kind that's basically a roll) I do enjoy some cake donuts, fresh from a local shop, covered with cinnamon. Next is Duck Donuts and their Maple Bacon donut, followed by a blueberry donut from Dunkin' and then Krispy Kreme is fine.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 08:42:34 AM »
Me either.  There's a chain out here called Duck Donuts that everyone loves. I don't.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 08:45:52 AM »
Chocolate cake donuts, no glaze, and crullers
Both with straight black coffee
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 08:48:28 AM »
The most epic croissants I've ever had were, naturally, in Paris.

Our group had a small hotel near the Gare Saint Lazare, and next to the hotel was a bakery.

They had a croissant with an incredibly sharp cheese and the best cured ham I've ever had anywhere, and it was cheap, something like $1.30 or so.

The croissants themselves were unlike anything I had ever had before, or have had since. It was like biting into a down pillow that had both structure and which melted in your mouth at the same time. Most of the croissants I've had since have been either heavy and leaden, tough, or have just shattered.

I'd love to try my hand at making them, but its INCREDIBLY hard work if you don't have a sheeter to do the rolling for you.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 09:35:59 AM »
Raised donuts for me too. Bismarks and Berliners are my favorites. Sadly (or not, depending on how you look at it), I can't/don't eat them like I used to. I've worked on keeping a relatively healthy diet for quite a while now, and I find I can't take the sugary snacks the way I used to. There was a time that if people didn't get to them first, I would wolf down half the donuts at the bi-weekly staff meeting at work. These days, I can eat one Bismark, but if I eat two, I don't feel good and I don't even really like the second one.

I did have some beignets as a side dish at breakfast at a Cajun restaurant a few months back and they were very good fresh out of the oil. I actually liked them enough to make them myself a couple of times - and make myself sick eating too many.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 09:38:53 AM »

Not close by, but I see them from time to time. Will keep in mind, thanks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 09:52:18 AM »
Cake donuts - particularly the type some call "old fashioned" - are my preference. With good chocolate frosting, of course.

Never warmed up to the yeast/raised donuts.

Sadly, today's donut shops don't seem to have the knack for making donuts the way they used to back in the day.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 10:00:52 AM »

Sadly, today's donut shops don't seem to have the knack for making donuts the way they used to back in the day.

The best donut shops I have been to have always been owned by Asians. When fishing in Mammoth, I would often drive the 40 miles to Hing's Donuts in Bishop because Mrs Hing rocks the donut dough.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 10:25:56 AM »
We had a local donut place in Spokane that was great. The owner retired and the donut shop went away. Someone tried to copy Voodoo Donuts out of Portland here and it didn't work out, they are something else now, donuts still suck.

When they first opened the Krispy Krème here we were the closest ER so any work injuries came to us. The next day the manager would bring us a couple of dozen donuts, if free they are OK. The best part of taking care of those patients was they smelled like fresh donuts. Always much nicer than the stuff our smellers were usually subject to.

bob
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 11:07:45 AM by BobR »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 10:39:08 AM »
Not had any of their donuts, but their coffee is REALLY good.

FAR better than 7-11, better than Love's, and right up there with Sheetz.

Too bad you didn't try Kwik Star or Kwik Trip coffee, a step above Casey's. I love Casey's for coffee when I'm not near a Kwik Star. Donuts are better at Casey's than Kwik Star.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 11:04:04 AM »
I did stop at a Kwik Star and got coffee there. It was OK. I liked Casey's better, but I figure 1 cup isn't enough to really make a judgment.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 11:12:09 AM »
I am not a huge fan of Krispy Kreme, but people have told me I need to try fresh ones from one of the actual outlets (none close by).  They seemed more like candy than a donut.  Cake donuts are nice, but not my preference.  The traditional donuts are the best to me.  The main complaint I have is shops being stingy on the icing.  Donut Haven in Clute, TX near work (run by Asians by coincidence) is very good.  Tasty with enough icing.  Occasionally, I get them warm from the oven and they melt in your mouth.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 11:19:28 AM »
Rarely eat donuts but I enjoy pretty much any style when I do indulge.

Glazed sour cream donuts are pretty yummy.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 11:28:46 AM »
Occasionally, I get them warm from the oven and they melt in your mouth.

That is the best time to get a Krispy Kreme, they have a big neon sign they light up on the building so you know when a fresh, hot batch has just been pulled from the fryer. Here they used to give you a free donut if you asked when you walked in. I think they have stopped that practice. I haven't been in there for 5 or 6 years.

bob