Author Topic: Women may soon have to register for the military draft  (Read 2382 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Women may soon have to register for the military draft
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 09:10:16 AM »
I've mentioned to my wife that women looked at the curse of man and thought: "It's not fair! Men get all this fulfillment from work and I'm stuck having children and taking care of the house."

So women willingly, eagerly grabbed up the curse of man.... and have discovered that most work isn't all that fulfilling, and now blame men for work being a terrible, soul-sucking experience.

It's always been that way for most men. Very few people get to "work at what they love and never work a day in their lives." And even most of those who do know that there is a lot of drudgery in it.

But they keep pushing, SURE that when they take over this next area that men have "ruled" they will find fulfillment. This will not end in female empowerment or satisfaction, either.  
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2019, 09:31:29 AM »
Men are becoming more soft and mildly effeminate.

Women are becoming harder and more masculine.

Correlation my not signal causation but is anyone surprised that the west is failing to reproduce at replacement levels? The west is getting a “D” in basic biology and that is grading on a scale.

Regarding the military,

What does it take to create the smartest, most effective and dangerous military?

What makes a superior fighting force?

I’m not talking about technology, I’m talking about personnel.

Are we persuing that level of excellence regardless of political or social opinions?

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2019, 09:43:44 AM »
most work isn't all that fulfilling, and now blame men for work being a terrible, soul-sucking experience.
It's always been that way for most men. Very few people get to "work at what they love and never work a day in their lives." And even most of those who do know that there is a lot of drudgery in it.
But they keep pushing, SURE that when they take over this next area that men have "ruled" they will find fulfillment. This will not end in female empowerment or satisfaction, either.  

The decline of traditional faith in America has coincided with an explosion of new atheisms. Some people worship beauty, some worship political identities, and others worship their children. But everybody worships something. And workism is among the most potent of the new religions competing for congregants.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 10:03:57 AM »
Men are becoming more soft and mildly effeminate. (1)

Women are becoming harder and more masculine. (2)

Correlation my not signal causation but is anyone surprised that the west is failing to reproduce at replacement levels? The west is getting a “D” in basic biology and that is grading on a scale.

Regarding the military,

What does it take to create the smartest, most effective and dangerous military?

What makes a superior fighting force?

I’m not talking about technology, I’m talking about personnel.

Are we persuing that level of excellence regardless of political or social opinions?

Statement (1) is likely correct. Massive wealth and leisure tend to encourage "softness" and the entirety of world history is there to bear that out.

Statement (2) I see very little evidence for. In fact, as societies become more and more "egalitarian", like the Norse countries, we see women gravitating even more to "female pursuits." Additionally, in our own country we are seeing an increasing rejection  of rationality in favor of emotionalism. Masculine, that is not.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2019, 10:04:23 AM »
a weird pullup and 2 miles in 21 min.

What is the weird pullup? Is it only one? I guess because pullups have always been the hardest thing for me to do of everything listed, I would have expected "new norms" to replace it with something else (with the assumption that everyone sucks at them as much as I do  =D ).

The pushups were interesting to me because of what I consider a low number. I'm thinking anyone of military age should be able to knock out a single set of 20 without breaking a sweat. I just read that doctors are now looking at using pushups as a measure of health as a replacement for, or at least as important as, VO2 Max. Quicker to measure and doesn't require all the equipment.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2019, 10:06:56 AM »
Statement (1) is likely correct. Massive wealth and leisure tend to encourage "softness" and the entirety of world history is there to bear that out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crmRylcbQds
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2019, 10:29:46 AM »
What is the weird pullup? Is it only one? I guess because pullups have always been the hardest thing for me to do of everything listed, I would have expected "new norms" to replace it with something else (with the assumption that everyone sucks at them as much as I do  =D ).

The pushups were interesting to me because of what I consider a low number. I'm thinking anyone of military age should be able to knock out a single set of 20 without breaking a sweat. I just read that doctors are now looking at using pushups as a measure of health as a replacement for, or at least as important as, VO2 Max. Quicker to measure and doesn't require all the equipment.

For the weird pull up you hold the bar in an alternating grip, with your body perpendicular to the bar (That is 90* from a normal pull up).  Pull up with your arms while simultaneously tucking your legs to your chest. Then return to straight arm hang.

The numbers I posted are minimum passing grades for the lowest tier of job.  If you want a good score (for promotions*) or to be infantry or such, you'll have to do more.

More info on this particular thread drift can be had here: https://www.army.mil/acft/

*The fact that your PT score gets you promotion points (at least for the lower enlisted ranks) I suspect will end up being an issue.  Females will have a MUCH harder time getting high scores than males.  You may recall that it was the promotion potential that got females into Ranger School.  FWIW, I'm a fan of the age/gender normalization plan.  Either you can do it, or you can't.  I just foresee there being some teething issues.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2019, 10:50:53 AM »

Statement (2) I see very little evidence for. In fact, as societies become more and more "egalitarian", like the Norse countries, we see women gravitating even more to "female pursuits." Additionally, in our own country we are seeing an increasing rejection  of rationality in favor of emotionalism. Masculine, that is not.

Regarding women becoming more masculine maybe you are correct. There was an old order or traditional way of behaving that was considered feminine. In reality, like chivalry, it wasn’t entirely biologically innate but part of our culture that emphasized the most feminine aspects of women that are innate. Emphasis on the good and beautiful if you will.

Now when I interact with women who have been raised outside of that way they often come off as course, vulgar and acting like one of the guys. They are of course still female and if you “forget” they are a woman and start treating them like one of the guys you will be called out eventually.

Oddly, there is often still an expectation that men will act with chivalry even though it has become more typical that women have abandoned their part of that arrangement.

All that to say, I guess I agree with you. Women are still feminine in that they still view the world as women do, through the feminine perspective. What I’m seeing is just a rejection of a culture that emphasized that which was considered the best and most beautiful about women. Just as chivalry and acting noble was an attempt to emphasize what was best and desirable in a man.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2019, 02:24:18 PM »
Having had the good fortune to have some long lived remarkable ladies in my family I've met a fair amount of Midwestern's Dairy farmer's wives and Alabama Sharecropper's wives, as well as a lady that ran a boarding house in the 30's and a lady that was a research scientist in the 40's. I'm not sure that the "emphasis on the good and beautiful" was as universal as you think.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2019, 05:04:25 PM »
Having had the good fortune to have some long lived remarkable ladies in my family I've met a fair amount of Midwestern's Dairy farmer's wives and Alabama Sharecropper's wives, as well as a lady that ran a boarding house in the 30's and a lady that was a research scientist in the 40's. I'm not sure that the "emphasis on the good and beautiful" was as universal as you think.
I always have to ask how much is old culture and how much is TV/Movie culture since the 40's.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2019, 05:19:07 PM »

The pushups were interesting to me because of what I consider a low number. I'm thinking anyone of military age should be able to knock out a single set of 20 without breaking a sweat.

It depends on upper body strength. I was a four sport athlete in high school and three sports in college. I don't think I have ever been able to do twenty proper pushups ... not even when I was in the Army.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2019, 05:33:12 PM »
I always have to ask how much is old culture and how much is TV/Movie culture since the 40's.

Yea, there’s that also.

Posted by: dogmush

Well by G&B I was referring to character, maximizing ones best natural traits.

I’m not sure how what you describe is in conflict with the ideal of  “good and beautiful”. Particularly or especially if they were mothers as well.