Author Topic: Global warming: Passengers stranded on west coast Amtrak since Sunday  (Read 5185 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47375076

An Amtrak train with 183 passengers on board has been stalled in the snow in Oregon since Sunday night after hitting a tree that fell on the tracks.

Amtrak: clobbering the Left's mass transit dreams, and global warming alarmism at the same time. Good job, guys!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
Re: Global warming: Passengers stranded on west coast Amtrak since Sunday
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 06:21:31 PM »
No, no, no, no..you got it all wrong.  Cold and a lot of snow is caused by Globular Worming.  So is having trees just fall over, fainting from the cold which is caused by Globular Worming.  If it's cold here, it must be worm there and the soil becomes unstable due to the changes in the seasons which is caused by Globular Worming.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 07:27:13 PM »
Picking local isolated events really doesn't support the argument that global warming I mean climate change isn't happening.

If you haven't gotten the memo the term, Global Warming, has been dead for quite a few years.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 07:58:53 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 09:25:27 PM »
Picking local isolated events really doesn't support the argument that global warming I mean climate change isn't happening.

If you haven't gotten the memo the term, Global Warming, has been dead for quite a few years.

Even after the term "Global Warming" fell out of vogue, there were predictions that all snow fall would be gone by now. It's hard to take climate change as a theory seriously when it's biggest proponents are always making big, dire predictions that are repeatedly proved wrong by the passage of time.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 09:41:11 PM »
Even after the term "Global Warming" fell out of vogue, there were predictions that all snow fall would be gone by now. It's hard to take climate change as a theory seriously when it's biggest proponents are always making big, dire predictions that are repeatedly proved wrong by the passage of time.

I agree, they should of tossed the "shock and awe" yellowdog reporting and talked about the gradual changes over time and perhaps how we as a global society can adapt.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 10:07:43 PM »
I agree, they should of tossed the "shock and awe" yellowdog reporting and talked about the gradual changes over time and perhaps how we as a global society can adapt.

That would make sense. It would also make certain people less money.

If they went with "climate resiliency" to begin with they might have gotten some bipartisan support.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 11:02:18 PM »

Of course.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 09:57:55 AM »
AOC says we are all going to die in 12 years if we don’t implement communism now. The Amtrak folks will just be a few of the early victims.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 11:46:32 AM »

But then there would be no crisis to use to transform the entire economy.

As I've stated REPEATEDLY, if the global warming climate change (until they have to use another new term) people were actually serious in decreasing carbon emissions, they would be pushing nuclear power hard. They don't. In fact, they oppose it. Instead they push fairies and unicorns and windmills.

Which shows what their real goal is.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 01:28:46 PM »
were actually serious in decreasing carbon emissions, they would be pushing nuclear power hard. They don't. In fact, they oppose it.

This too. I take exactly zero people seriously who push "ZOMG we have to do something!" but refuse to say "nuclear".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 01:44:49 PM »
^^^ The Government, could, however, do its part by opening up Yucca Mountain as a permanent waste repository.  The dry-cask storage at individual power plants may come back to bite us in the ankle some day.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 02:34:03 PM »

But the reverse is apparently true.  AGW minions are always pointing to weather events and proclaiming that they prove climate change is happening. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 02:46:54 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47375076

Amtrak: clobbering the Left's mass transit dreams, and global warming alarmism at the same time. Good job, guys!

This sort of thing predates Amtrak:

http://cprr.org/Museum/Stranded_Streamliner_1952/index.html

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 04:52:35 PM »
^^^ The Government, could, however, do its part by opening up Yucca Mountain as a permanent waste repository.  The dry-cask storage at individual power plants may come back to bite us in the ankle some day.

It already is. I just read an article reporting that the company that owns three shuttered nuclear plants in New England (Maine, Connecticut, and ??) just won a court award of, IIRC, over $1 billion to cover the expenses of maintaining the spent fuel storage at the three sites.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 05:48:50 PM »
But the reverse is apparently true.  AGW minions are always pointing to weather events and proclaiming that they prove climate change is happening. 

I agree... Climate Change, Anti-Abortion (yea I went there), Gun Control, Anti-Gay, Anti-Same Sex Marriage, Green Deal, The Wall, etc are just political/single issue items to force the supporters (of those issues) will (sometimes with a gun or fines) onto those who do not agree with them and make them conform.

Uranus is a gas giant.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 10:17:46 PM »

Or we could build nukular plants that can consume said "waste" instead of storing it for 200k years.  Technology that, I'm pretty sure, already exists.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 10:59:25 PM »
I agree... Climate Change, Anti-Abortion (yea I went there), Gun Control, Anti-Gay, Anti-Same Sex Marriage, Green Deal, The Wall, etc are just political/single issue items to force the supporters (of those issues) will (sometimes with a gun or fines) onto those who do not agree with them and make them conform.

:rofl:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 08:52:00 AM »
AOC says we are all going to die in 12 years if we don’t implement communism now. The Amtrak folks will just be a few of the early victims.

Atlas Shrugged, Climate Change Edition

(Been musing on AS lately, what with the news coming out of Venezuela.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 09:50:36 AM »
Atlas Shrugged, Climate Change Edition

(Been musing on AS lately, what with the news coming out of Venezuela.)

You don't need to just look at Venezuela. Some of these jokers in Congress are using the Wesley Mouch parts of Atlas Shrugged as their Operations Manual.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 10:00:33 AM »
Or we could build nukular plants that can consume said "waste" instead of storing it for 200k years.  Technology that, I'm pretty sure, already exists.

I don't claim to be a physicist, but I often wonder if American nuclear power building/engineering continued instead of being mothballed in the 80s, would spent fuel from the bigger plants be refined to be used in smaller reactors and spent fuel from the smaller plants be refined down for even smaller reactors, and so forth until it basically inert or very low in radioactivity.

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 10:14:28 AM »
Why the  :rofl:?

I'm assuming it's because you claimed the "Anit-Same Sex Marriage" side is all about coercion, when it is those conscientious objectors that are having their missions, work, and livelihoods destroyed by the power of the state.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 10:22:48 AM »
I'm assuming it's because you claimed the "Anit-Same Sex Marriage" side is all about coercion, when it is those conscientious objectors that are having their missions, work, and livelihoods destroyed by the power of the state.

and the folks who want to marry their same sex partner have gone through years of that prior to recent times. It's not all one sided.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2019, 10:34:18 AM »
and the folks who want to marry their same sex partner have gone through years of that prior to recent times. It's not all one sided.

It is one-sided, and I was laughing because you're so wrong, it's hilarious.