Author Topic: Ask your doctor if smearing *expletive deleted*it on a card for the lab is right for you  (Read 528 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20190225/is-at-home-stool-test-a-colonoscopy-alternative?src=RSS_PUBLIC#1

https://annals.org/aim/article-abstract/2726664/performance-characteristics-fecal-immunochemical-tests-colorectal-cancer-advanced-adenomatous-polyps

More data on the effectiveness of annual fecal occult blood tests to screen for colon cancer.  When I am eligible for my next colonoscopy next year, I will switch over to the annual FIT tests.  Pretty much as effective, much cheaper, no prep required and no chance of complications, like perforating the colon.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I couldn't tell from the articles: Are they also suggesting the crap smear is viable for those who had benign polyps removed in their colonoscopies? Or once even benign polyps are found are you then stuck with the ramrod?

I recognize that colonoscopies are generally safe, but because of previous benign polyps, I'm on the five year plan. I'm always paranoid that with double the colonoscopies, one of these days somebody is going to rip my bowel and I'll die from a damn invasive preventative procedure.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
Is it a valid test though?
I remember seeing 'crap in a box' commercials on TV late night a few years ago where it turned out that the company selling the product/service didn't even have viable or accurate tests.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
This is the part about asking your doctor.  If you have a family or personal history that puts you at higher risk of colon cancer, an annual FIT screening may not be for you.  Bear in mind that the FIT screening looks for blood in the lower GI tract.  Blood can come from colon cancer, polyps and some other causes.  If the FIT screening detects blood, a followup colonoscopy is done.  If you have polyps, many providers recommend a colonoscopy instead since a suspicious-looking polyp can be removed right then and there.

And in recent years, the FIT tests have gotten way more accurate at detecting blood.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.