Author Topic: India–Pakistan conflict  (Read 2040 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
India–Pakistan conflict
« on: February 27, 2019, 10:59:43 AM »
What says the group about the recent escalations in the conflict between India and Pakistan?  Posturing?  Turn into another limited war?  Will China intervene?  Is it Trumps fault?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_India%E2%80%93Pakistan_standoff
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Pakistani_wars_and_conflicts

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: India–Pakistan conflict
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 11:41:32 AM »
I sure hope it goes no further.  I have always thought that if tactical nukes are ever used, it will be done first between India and Pakistan.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 11:52:47 AM »
I sure hope it goes no further.  I have always thought that if tactical nukes are ever used, it will be done first between India and Pakistan.

Don't forget China is, sort of, an ally of P-Stan and that the Sino Indian war is still unsettled
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 12:20:32 PM »
I think India would eventually triumph, but it won't be pretty. They have financial and personnel resources that Pakistan can't hope to match, plus the fact that governments in that part of the world have absolutely no problem escalating things to "grind your bones to make our bread" levels.

The deciding factor will be China. Both nations rely heavily on trade with them. China has already begun shaking their proverbial finger, essentially giving both countries the diplo-speak version of "don't make me pull this car over".

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 12:27:41 PM »
Not saying China would get involved but I doubt they would shed a tear over India getting whacked by nukes.  Privately they would be somewhat please their main rival in the region got knocked down a few notches even if they won. Publicly they would be "oh no that's terrible! " and probably announce they're taking over "administration" of certain Indian border areas, for humanitarian reasons of course.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 12:45:26 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/23/world/the-coldest-war-frozen-in-fury-on-the-roof-of-the-world.html

I remember reading this article twenty years ago and thinking about what a meatgrinder high-altitude Arctic combat was.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 05:28:17 PM »
I've picked up on the fact that India and Pakistan are having another kerfluffle, but it flared up while I was in the ICU last week and I don't even know what it's about.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 06:58:11 PM »
I've picked up on the fact that India and Pakistan are having another kerfluffle, but it flared up while I was in the ICU last week and I don't even know what it's about.

Whether to serve curry or humus.

Ever wonder how bad a nuke would *expletive deleted*ck up a glacier?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 07:03:12 PM »
Got a suspicion that 3/4 of both side's nuclear weapons don't even work right.
I would rather we not find out though
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 07:18:32 PM »
Got a suspicion that 3/4 of both side's nuclear weapons don't even work right.
I would rather we not find out though

Is it wrong to hope to Pakistan lights one that it goes boom on the launch pad?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 07:34:40 PM »

They could have one go boom sitting on the launch pad right now and that could very well trigger the whole thing since obviously it was an Indian attack.

Do we even know what kind, if any, of fail safes they even have on those things?
No insult meant to India here but we are talking for the most part about 3rd world mentality here, especially with P-Stan
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:27:36 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 07:43:12 PM »
First part gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.....NOT!

Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan: If a war takes place, it will not be in my or Narendra Modi's control. If you want any kind of talks on terrorism, we are ready. Better sense must prevail. We should sit down & talk pic.twitter.com/XydmNgLYYC
    — ANI (@ANI) February 27, 2019
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 09:55:05 PM »
Sent a note to a colleague there to get a local's take.  Will post any response.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 09:59:29 PM »

Beat me to it.  The biter bit.

And as long as we don't get involved I really don't care.  Best of luck to the side that doesn't pray to mecca 17 times per day.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 08:18:47 AM »

Abhinandan: Pakistan 'to free Indian pilot on Friday'
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47399126
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 10:33:54 AM »
They released the pilot and it's been much quieter since

Narendra Modi v Imran Khan: Who won the war of perception?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-47414490
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 11:24:24 AM »
Not knowing the specifics, but going from my impressions:

Pakistan has been wink,wink,nod,nodding to a number of terrorist organizations that make incursions into India. They let it go too far or long and India hit the terrorist bases in retaliation.

Pakistan realizes it went too far, so it's more willing to try to tamp down tensions by giving back the Indian pilot. They aren't looking for a war that will likely end with no one winning, but wanted just low level attacks.

My (uninformed) take. I'd love to read a more local take, sumpnz.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 11:47:48 AM »
Sort of tangential, but of interest to me is how far down the "news page" this conflict is. From what I have read, military and geopolitical experts consider this a pretty big deal and a threat to global security.

Yet the news cycle is "get Trump" and the antics of a few new congressional dingbats. It's kind of scary when that stuff outweighs a couple of countries with fingers over their "extra crispy" buttons.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 11:21:15 PM »
Hopefully I'll catch up with that guy tomorrow or Thursday.  He had an interview today for a business trip visa to come over here for a couple weeks.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 07:56:57 AM »
Sort of tangential, but of interest to me is how far down the "news page" this conflict is. From what I have read, military and geopolitical experts consider this a pretty big deal and a threat to global security.

Yet the news cycle is "get Trump" and the antics of a few new congressional dingbats. It's kind of scary when that stuff outweighs a couple of countries with fingers over their "extra crispy" buttons.

Yeah, I guess we have to have the President tweet about things, if we want the press to cover them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife