Author Topic: Kamala Harris' Jamaican Heritage  (Read 972 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Kamala Harris' Jamaican Heritage
« on: February 27, 2019, 05:12:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/JohnRLottJr/status/1100194911712919552?s=09
Saw this posted on twitter today.  Not sure how it applies other than Kamala Harris is apparently talking about "reparations" for slavery.  
This doesn't make any difference to me b/c what our ancestors did doesn't reflect on us, but given @KamalaHarris' support for reparations, it is interesting her ancestors were apparently slave owners.

I do find it interesting that the guy replying on twitter claims most black people in the US have "slave owner" blood because slave owners raped their slave all the time.  I don't think I have heard that claimed as a common practice.

https://www.jamaicaglobalonline.com/amp/kamala-harris-jamaican-heritage/?__twitter_impression=true

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Kamala Harris' Jamaican Heritage
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 10:09:26 PM »
I do find it interesting that the guy replying on twitter claims most black people in the US have "slave owner" blood because slave owners raped their slave all the time.  I don't think I have heard that claimed as a common practice.
As far as I can tell, that was a common practice in just about all times and cultures when slavery was present.

Something of note I recently learned: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Johnson_(colonist)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 07:33:31 PM »
Speaking of Harris' Jamaican heritage, her dad was not happy with her using her Jamaican ancestry to prop up her support among the legalization crowd.

“My dear departed grandmothers (whose extraordinary legacy I described in a recent essay on this website), as well as my deceased parents, must be turning in their grave right now to see their family’s name, reputation and proud Jamaican identity being connected, in any way, jokingly or not with the fraudulent stereotype of a pot-smoking joy seeker and in the pursuit of identity politics,” he wrote.

“Speaking for myself and my immediate Jamaican family, we wish to categorically dissociate ourselves from this travesty,” added Donald Harris, who is now an emeritus professor of economics at Stanford University.

Shots fired!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/kamala-harriss-jamaican-father-wasnt-amused-by-her-joke-about-marijuana-use/2019/02/21/2d722658-35cb-11e9-af5b-b51b7ff322e9_story.html?utm_term=.376067a88c02
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 07:38:40 PM »
https://twitter.com/JohnRLottJr/status/1100194911712919552?s=09
Saw this posted on twitter today.  Not sure how it applies other than Kamala Harris is apparently talking about "reparations" for slavery.  

Sounds like they owe themselves reparations because they have more slave owner blood in them than do most whites
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 09:55:07 AM »
The large majority of American black people have some white blood.  If I remember correctly, about 20% is average.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 12:25:39 PM »
Reparations may be a tough sell, when so many white people think Obama's white momma makes him "not really black."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 04:10:07 PM »
Reparations may be a tough sell, when so many white people think Obama's white momma makes him "not really black."
For Obama, he is not descended from slaves.  I guess it depends on who they define as eligible for reparations.  I don't know that I have ever heard that defined.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 04:16:30 PM »
For Obama, he is not descended from slaves.  I guess it depends on who they define as eligible for reparations.  I don't know that I have ever heard that defined.

That's not the point. The point is, some people honestly believe that a guy everyone (if they knew nothing about his parents) would describe as black/African-American is "really white," just because his mother is. So how would you convince those kinds of voters that people like Key & Peele (both half-black, half-white, so they're "really white") should be getting reparations?