Author Topic: Trump walks out of the Kim/Trump Summit  (Read 3564 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Trump walks out of the Kim/Trump Summit
« on: February 28, 2019, 07:43:44 AM »
I'm not surprised, figured Kim would stonewall on something.
Be interesting to see how Kim reacts to this, Kim has a lot more to lose than Trump in this.
Cue the MSM's "We're all going to die!" routine

President Trump abruptly walked away from negotiations with North Korea in Vietnam and headed back to Washington on Thursday afternoon, saying the U.S. is unwilling to meet Kim Jong Un's demand of lifting all sanctions on the rogue regime without first securing its meaningful commitment to denuclearization.
Trump cuts short North Korea summit after dispute over sanctions: 'Sometimes you have to walk'
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-wasnt-prepared-to-lift-us-sanctions-on-north-korea-leading-to-abrupt-end-to-summit

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Trump walks out of the Kim/Trump Summit
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 07:47:08 AM »
More interesting is going to be how the left reacts to this.

I'm sure that they'll be celebrating in the streets because they'd rather have a nuclear war than Trump being successful on anything.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 07:51:42 AM »

I'm sure that they'll be celebrating in the streets because they'd rather have a nuclear war than Trump being successful on anything.

Trump talks tough on NK: Orange Man bad, we must talk peace with NK just like Hillary would have.
Trump talks peace with NK: Orange Man bad, we must talk tough on NK just like Hillary would have.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 09:13:39 AM »
Good for Trump. 

I read an article on Business Insider about the situation before Trump took office.
 It claimed that Obama told Trump that the USA was planning a military strike on NK if NK developed missles that could hit the USA.  True?  I don't know.

If all Trump does is get NK to halt missile development, it will still be a huge accomplishment. 

A second war with NK would be a horrific bloodbath.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 09:19:41 AM »

Yup. They don't seem to care too much about it -  some MSM reporters on site still had to ask questions about Cohen. I thought that was absolutely ridiculous. Even if you're a TDS schmuck reporter, one would think you'd still want to root for nuclear de-escalation on the peninsula, and concentrate your questions on that.

I so far like the way Trump has been handling this. While he walked away, he did so in what I thought was a thoughtful manner ("Do it right rather than do it fast"). None of the "Twitter Trump" burning bridges on the way out. Slow and steady may win the race here. If so, it will take a good 20 years for Trump to get any credit.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 09:38:25 AM »
Aren't we still formally at war with North Korea?

Too true to be funny.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 09:43:38 AM »

Well, here's a start:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/02/28/thank-you-rep-ted-lieu-calls-out-libs-for-promoting-the-trumpfail-hashtag/

How do you know when you have terminal TDS? When Ted Lieu calls you out for your TDS.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 09:44:10 AM »
Good. Glad someone has the balls to stand up to their regime rather than trying to diplo-maneuver their way into some touchy feely deal with no substantive benefit other than talking points.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 09:51:29 AM »
Well, here's a start:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/02/28/thank-you-rep-ted-lieu-calls-out-libs-for-promoting-the-trumpfail-hashtag/

How do you know when you have terminal TDS? When Ted Lieu calls you out for your TDS.

Wow!
Think hell just had a snow storm.
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 09:55:18 AM »
"Do it right rather than do it fast."

Absolutely correct.

Remember back in the 1980s when the left and the press went absolutely screaming *expletive deleted*ing nuts when the Reykjavik Summit ended with no agreement?

That summit didn't result in anything there. But it resulted in a LOT more in later years.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 10:10:31 AM »
I had a weird thought that he might agree to whatever they wanted and have a plane load of cash dropped off to seal the deal, but no one would be stupid enough to do something like that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 02:10:37 PM »
Wow!
Think hell just had a snow storm.

Same.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 02:24:35 PM »
Kim still wants to play by the old rules. 

He promises to be good.  Clinton sends money, food and oil.  Kim continues to be bad.

He promises to be good.  Bush sends money, food, and oil.  Kim continues to be bad.

He promises to be good.  Obama sends money, food, and oil.  Kim continues to be bad.

Kim promises to be good.  Trump says, do good first, then I send the money, food, and oil.  Kim is surprised.  Trump walks.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 02:53:11 PM »
Good move by Trump. I very much doubt that Rocketboy saw that coming, and that's definitely a YUUUGE plus for Trump. This meeting was supposed to be about NK denuclearizing. That was what the previous meeting supposedly set up as the end game. As anyone who has ever negotiated to buy anything knows, you have to know your bottom line and be prepared to walk away if you can't make a deal you'll be satisfied with. Trump showing that the U.S. is willing to walk away must have scrambled more than a few NK brains.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 03:09:23 PM »
And don't think the Chinese trade negotiators weren't watching also...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 06:02:32 PM »
Good move by Trump. I very much doubt that Rocketboy saw that coming, and that's definitely a YUUUGE plus for Trump. This meeting was supposed to be about NK denuclearizing. That was what the previous meeting supposedly set up as the end game. As anyone who has ever negotiated to buy anything knows, you have to know your bottom line and be prepared to walk away if you can't make a deal you'll be satisfied with. Trump showing that the U.S. is willing to walk away must have scrambled more than a few NK brains.

This... Oh so much this.   After so long of the US just playing along and letting them get away with whatever they want to, I imagine the abrupt change in approach was rather akin to a paradigm shift without a clutch.

And don't think the Chinese trade negotiators weren't watching also...

I strongly imagine that's a large part of Trump's endgame with the Norks and China.   Trump is a shrewd businessman.  The left seems to forget that/ignore it unless they want to talk about how he was an evil businessman

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 07:12:30 PM »
Kim still wants to play by the old rules. 

He promises to be good.  Clinton sends money, food and oil.  Kim continues to be bad.

He promises to be good.  Bush sends money, food, and oil.  Kim continues to be bad.

He promises to be good.  Obama sends money, food, and oil.  Kim continues to be bad.

Kim promises to be good.  Trump says, do good first, then I send the money, food, and oil.  Kim is surprised.  Trump walks.

Succinct, I’m stealing it, thanx.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 07:29:25 PM »
And of course, Nancy Pelosi is screeching about how Kim was the BIG winner in the failed summit. Psychotic bitch.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 07:47:32 PM »
My take going into this was Kim won't do anything serious. Spring is here. Every failed strategy we have had to talk to the works has failed spectacularly in the spring when they look forward to not starving (more than usual) and need less fuel. You choke then in the late fall.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 09:01:00 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they more or less had an agreement and Kim tried to throw in additional demands in the final hours hoping Trump would not want to walk away without a deal.  Trump walked and then talked to the media like it might be a long time before they meet again. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 09:33:28 AM »
And of course, Nancy Pelosi is screeching about how Kim was the BIG winner in the failed summit. Psychotic bitch.

The master legislator.  ;/

Again, given the great negative connotations of the NK we were seeing during Obama's last years and the first six months of Trump, you would think people like her would at least temper their comments regarding the talks. I guarantee her that an unleashed NK would be way worse than Trump.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 10:30:21 AM »
Expectations should be low and walking away with nothing is better than signing a bad deal. The can is kicked down the road.
My only real gripe is Trump's continued praise of Kim and stuff like this:
Talking in Vietnam on Thursday about Kim's role in the fate of Warmbier, who died in June 2017, Trump said: "He felt badly about it. He felt very badly." He added that the two leaders had discussed Warmbier’s death privately. He added: "He tells me that he didn't know about it and I will take him at his word."
He did the same thing with Putin. Saying stuff like this about Kim is really unnecessary:
Quote from: Trump
"He likes me, I like him. Some people say 'you should not like him.' I say, 'Why shouldn't I like him?' I like him. Get along great."
People will try to 'whatabout Obama' or setup a false dichotomy between him talking like this or nuclear war but I don't think it's unreasonable to demand better from our president.
Quote from: Ben Shapiro
Don't give me "the alternative was nuclear war"! No, it absolutely was and is not. Face-to-face meetings with gulag-masters without any pre-negotiation are amateur hour. Flattering a man who murders American citizens and his own relatives with impunity is unconscionable. You don't get points for "effort" when the "effort" involves pretending Otto Warmbier wasn't murdered, and that the US has a "special relationship" with the worst dictator on the planet -- and when that "effort" results in less than nothing.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 10:42:04 AM »

Well, the streets of San Francisco or L.A. are the most likely to be hit with Kim's limited missile technology. I'm not sure if the left is sober enough or connected to reality enough to understand the implications of nuclear war with NK.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2019, 10:44:26 AM »
Well, the streets of San Francisco or L.A. are the most likely to be hit with Kim's limited missile technology. I'm not sure if the left is sober enough or connected to reality enough to understand the implications of nuclear war with NK.

Just give them something else to blame Trump for
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2019, 12:08:25 PM »
Dumb as it sounds to us, I "presume" Trump is buttering Kim up to try to get a deal.  Hearing praise of the evil little toad is revolting, but if it works, it will be worth it.