Author Topic: Trump walks out of the Kim/Trump Summit  (Read 3563 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Trump walks out of the Kim/Trump Summit
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2019, 12:39:10 PM »
Expectations should be low and walking away with nothing is better than signing a bad deal. The can is kicked down the road.
My only real gripe is Trump's continued praise of Kim and stuff like this:He did the same thing with Putin. Saying stuff like this about Kim is really unnecessary:People will try to 'whatabout Obama' or setup a false dichotomy between him talking like this or nuclear war but I don't think it's unreasonable to demand better from our president.

I'm conflicted on that stuff. From the 30,000' view, I don't like it. Digging in deeper (these are questions/potential reasons whether I agree with them or not, vs excuses):

He might be buttering them up  (a common business tactic for businessman Trump) for "the greater good".

On Kim, while the buck always stops at the top, it is conceivable he did not know what happened to Warmbier when it happened, just like our president wouldn't know immediately if some guy in Gitmo was about to be beaten half to death by an overzealous E-4. Kim and Trump both seemed to be very specific in the wording about what Kim "didn't know".

Obviously, giving Kim the benefit of the doubt isn't a good look on the face of it. We all know about deaths he has ordered and how those deaths were carried out. But again, the ethics question is on "the greater good" of an agreement that locks down Nork nukes. Is making Kim look good/innocent "on camera" during negotiations regarding one death worth potentially saving hundreds of thousands of lives? It's a philosophical debate, IMO, and again, I'm not sure where I stand on it with my limited information sitting in the nosebleed section of the geopolitical bleachers.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2019, 12:51:26 PM »
Just what did listening to the diplomatic establishment for decades get us?

Has Trumps unorthodox methods born any fruit up to this point?

There are always unexpected consequences to actions, so admittedly there may be some negative blowback from Trumps methods.

We already know the absolute failure of traditional diplomacy regarding the Norks and where that was heading.

So far I like the gamble.

Of course we only know what we’ve been allowed to know so we aren’t making decisions based on all the facts.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2019, 01:28:47 PM »
New development: It appears we're going to suspend military exercises with South Korea.

The right seems to be almost more up in arms over it than the left. Maybe someone with more expertise can explain it to me, but given it's a suspension versus permanent, I'm not sure how it's a major deal? Can't we still train on tactics, but just not on NK's doorstep? Maybe not ideal, but I would see this as a carrot for NK to return to the table and deal to our benefit.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/03/01/what-in-the-ever-loving-report-trump-admin-to-make-major-announcement-regarding-us-south-korea-military-exercises/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2019, 05:55:40 AM »
Kim still wants to play by the old rules. 

He promises to be good.  Clinton sends money, food and oil.  Kim continues to be bad.

He promises to be good.  Bush sends money, food, and oil.  Kim continues to be bad.

He promises to be good.  Obama sends money, food, and oil.  Kim continues to be bad.

Kim promises to be good.  Trump says, do good first, then I send the money, food, and oil.  Kim is surprised.  Trump walks.

Hilfrickenarious.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2019, 06:29:36 AM »
Kim still wants to play by the old rules. 

He promises to be good.  Clinton sends money, food and oil.  Kim continues to be bad.

He promises to be good.  Bush sends money, food, and oil.  Kim continues to be bad.

He promises to be good.  Obama sends money, food, and oil.  Kim continues to be bad.

Kim promises to be good.  Trump says, do good first, then I send the money, food, and oil.  Kim is surprised.  Trump walks.

Setting that to haiku:

The new sheriff came
Kim wanted to play the same
New day brings new rules
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 02:58:40 PM »
President Trump abruptly announced Friday that he was withdrawing sanctions on North Korea, immediately after his own Treasury Department imposed them.

“It was announced today by the U.S. Treasury that additional large scale Sanctions would be added to those already existing Sanctions on North Korea. I have today ordered the withdrawal of those additional Sanctions!” Trump tweeted Friday afternoon.
???
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2019, 10:31:35 AM »
Well I guess somebody wasn't happy
Unconfirmed at this point BTW

North Korea has reportedly executed five officials over the failed nuclear summit in Hanoi with the United States, a South Korean newspaper reports.

Kim Hyok Chol, North Korea's special envoy to the U.S., and four other foreign ministry executives were reportedly killed by a firing squad in March at the airport in Pyongyang after being charged with spying for the U.S., the Chosun Ilbo paper reported, according to Reuters.

“He was accused of spying for the United States for poorly reporting on the negotiations without properly grasping U.S. intentions,” the paper’s source was quoted as saying.

North Korea Reportedly Executes Nuclear Envoy to US
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2019/05/31/north-korea-execution-n2547152
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2019, 02:23:52 PM »

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2019/05/31/north-korea-execution-n2547152

Translation:  You didn't guess what Trump was going to do/say...  So it's the firing squad for you.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2019, 03:45:16 PM »
Translation:  You didn't guess what that Trump was going to do/say...meant what he said, unlike past presidents.  So it's the firing squad for you.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2019, 05:39:54 PM »

Meanwhile in the U.S., someone who commits straight-up treason walks free and gets a book deal.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama