Author Topic: Trump Executive Order - Free Speech  (Read 929 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Trump Executive Order - Free Speech
« on: March 02, 2019, 04:36:29 PM »
Trump announced at CPAC that because of the "Berkeley punch", he'll be signing an EO that restricts Federal research funding from any university that attempts to block free speech.

While we'll have to read the EO for specifics, on the face of it I'm going to enjoy watching the liberal student riots over having to listen to opinions they don't agree with.  =D

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-on-cpac-stage-with-berkeley-assault-victim-promises-executive-order-on-campus-free-speech
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
Re: Trump Executive Order - Free Speech
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 09:53:42 AM »
 =D

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 12:42:49 PM »
It's sad that things have come to this.  Any non-private space is a free speech zone.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 01:26:01 PM »
It's sad that things have come to this.  Any non-private space is a free speech zone.

Exactly, the idea that they have to have free speech zones on college campuses is an abomination.

bob

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 01:40:21 PM »

Except for public streets during a rally.  Wasn’t it GWB who created “free speech zones?”
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 01:42:46 PM »
Trump should issue the original Bill of Rights as an executive order  :laugh:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 01:43:55 PM »
Exactly, the idea that they have to have free speech zones on college campuses is an abomination.

bob

Which is why I'm good with an EO (again, I'd like to read it in case there are some gotchyas) holding research funding back. The UC system (Berkeley included) gets a TON of fed funding as well as in-kind stuff. Our boats and dive team would get stuck on more than one occasion donating fed.gov time to university research projects, and they count on that money and those resources.

If tax dollars go to them, they had better honor the constitution, or else hit up their alumni for the billions of dollars.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 02:16:22 PM »
I'm 100% fine with this.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 06:26:22 PM »
Except for public streets during a rally.  Wasn’t it GWB who created “free speech zones?”

Wiki article traces it to the '88 Dem. Convention.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_speech_zone
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 06:39:13 PM »
Trump should issue the original Bill of Rights as an executive order  :laugh:

That would be quickly followed by just about every dem and news outlet in the world declaring it racist and unconstitutional
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 09:19:22 PM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 10:47:45 PM »
That would be quickly followed by just about every dem and news outlet in the world declaring it racist and unconstitutional

Funny. Crazy. Also true.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 03:22:29 AM »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:44:22 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 06:28:29 PM »
On the OP, while I agree with the idea of stopping the liberal censorship of speech to allow only expressions of approved ideas, I don't care for the use of EOs in this way.  No more than I like when Obama used an EO to give legal status to a bunch of illegals.  The president is being set for an abuse of that authority by a CIC with an agenda.  God help us if/when that happens.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 06:38:43 PM »
On the OP, while I agree with the idea of stopping the liberal censorship of speech to allow only expressions of approved ideas, I don't care for the use of EOs in this way.  No more than I like when Obama used an EO to give legal status to a bunch of illegals.  The president is being set for an abuse of that authority by a CIC with an agenda.  God help us if/when that happens.

While I agree EOs should be used carefully, and as I said, still want to see the text of this one, I so far don't have a big problem with this EO. Partly because it's simply holding back Federal grants to universities. Personally, I think universities already get way too much Federal money, while charging outrageous tuition, especially considering how fascist most of them are becoming.

I look at this one the same way I look at welfare (or how I want welfare to be): If you take my tax money through welfare, you don't get to buy lobster with it. If you're a university taking my tax money through grants, you don't get to pick and choose on free speech on campus. If you don't take my tax money, eat all the lobster you want, and if you're a private university, pick and choose whoever you want to speak on campus. If you're a public university and publicly funded, you don't get that luxury - you have to abide by the first amendment.