Author Topic: Question for Musicians  (Read 508 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Question for Musicians
« on: March 07, 2019, 02:51:50 PM »
I want to continue to try to learn things as I'm getting older, so I want to start learning the trumpet. (Actually cornet, but from my understanding, they are the same for playing, but have differing sounds and capabilities.... which ranges will be beyond me at first, anyway. It will depend on which instrument I can find.)

Now, I'm a decent/good musician- I can read music, keep time, etc...- so I'm not needing to start from scratch, but I've never played any brass instrument.

After a bit of research I'm hoping to pick up an old F.E. Olds Ambassador Trumpet or Cornet to learn on. (It also satisfies my preference for vintage items, as with guns.)

Are there any trumpet/brass players here with advice for where to start? (Other than stay away from people while learning so as not to be hated.)

Edited because I keep typing: "coronet"
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 04:31:12 PM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Question for Musicians
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 04:30:26 PM »
For a start, it's a "cornet," not a "coronet."

https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-trumpet-and-vs-cornet/

https://www.normans.co.uk/blog/2013/10/trumpet-v-cornet/

Thanks, I keep wanting spell it wrong. I'm aware it's not a crown, but my fingers aren't.  :lol:

(I can't tell you how many times I've had to go back and search the right term when I've been doing research on them.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 12:04:29 AM »
I played trombone in high school, does that count?  :lol:

Anyway, not a whole lot I can tell you. Been too long since I last played, and trumpet and trombone are pretty different instruments.

I can say that muscle tone in your face and lips is going to be important, particularly as you reach the higher end of your instrument's range. With a brass instrument, you purse your lips and basically buzz them inside the cup of the mouthpiece to produce sound. The tighter you press your lips together, the higher the note you produce. I had trouble hitting the higher notes (which for a trombone is pretty much anything above middle C) because I didn't put in enough practice to develop my facial muscles.

ETA: Oh, one more thing I just remembered. Wherever you practice, make sure you have something handy nearby to empty your spit valve into. Brass instruments collect moisture in their various nooks while you're playing, so there's a valve specifically to let it out when it starts to build up. I don't remember how bad the trumpets got, but the trombone can collect an impressive amount during a session.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 02:41:24 AM »
I played trumpet and French Horn in middle school.  Everything Regolith said above.  The more you practice the better you will become as your lips and facial muscles get stronger/more developed.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 03:31:01 AM »
Embouchure, see Lewis Armstrong...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 08:52:50 AM »
Embouchure, see Lewis Armstrong...

Or Dizzy Gillespie.  (okay, maybe not Dizzy Gilespie >:D )
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 12:50:25 PM »
I played trumpet in grammar school for several years, was in the school band for a while. I wasn't the worst trumpet player at the school, but I sure wasn't the best. Despite a goodly amount of daily practice, I just didn't have the lip to consistently hit the higher notes. This may or may not be an issue for you. (Also had a bit of a falling out with the music teacher, which is a whole different issue.)

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 03:18:54 PM »
Start slow. You can actually cause physical harm to your lip tissues if you don't. Warm up is very important. Even with that you'll feel (and possibly look) like you've been punched in the mouth the first couple of times you spend any decent amount of time practicing. My niece described it as having "buzzy lips".

Basics first, learn the notes and run scales. Get your lips, fingers, and brain trained to work together properly (no comments from the reprobate section). Progress from there. A middle-school band primer would be a good place to start. Dredging through 40 year old memories I think the one I learned on was called Elementary Somethingorother. Notes, finger positions, etc. Very basic, but also very helpful.

If you have a decent ear for pitch you can start by following along with some slower tunes. Not the melody necessarily, just general pitch and tone. Lets you have a little fun while learning. Old ballroom tunes are useful here. A personal favorite is "Moonlight Serenade".

Brad

p.s.... Get a mute. Everyone in your general vicinity will thank you.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 03:21:15 PM »
I was wrong, Dizzy was who I was thinking of! CARP!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!