Author Topic: Federal Judge Rules Against Census Citizenship Question  (Read 1558 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Federal Judge Rules Against Census Citizenship Question
« on: March 07, 2019, 05:07:05 PM »
A Federal judge (CA of course) ruled against including a citizenship question on the 2020 census. His rational:

"Including the citizenship question on the 2020 Census is fundamentally counterproductive to the goal of obtaining accurate citizenship data about the public.”

WTF?

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/03/07/judge-rules-that-census-citizenship-question-is-counterproductive-to-obtaining-accurate-citizenship-data/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Federal Judge Rules Against Census Citizenship Question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 05:13:42 PM »
    In closing arguments Friday in the federal bench trial over the citizenship question, attorneys for the State of California and six California cities said adding the question would jeopardize the census’ accuracy, as both legal and undocumented immigrants would be less likely to participate.

…

“The citizenship question will provide a differential undercount of Latinos and non-citizens, and by extension, Californians,” said Deputy Attorney General Matthew Wise. “California’s budget line item for census outreach swelled from a pre-citizenship question allocation of $43.3 million to a final allocation of $90.3 million.”

He said undercounting California’s large Latino population would ultimately lead California to lose both federal funding and a seat in Congress.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 05:28:38 PM »
A Federal judge (CA of course) ruled against including a citizenship question on the 2020 census. His rational:

"rationale," please 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JN01

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 06:26:12 PM »
Has the SCOTUS agreed to hear a case regarding the census yet?

On the other hand, if the question is included, are we assuming that people who are here illegally would be unwilling to lie about their citizenship status?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 06:32:37 PM »
Rope,  tree,  "judge".

Some assembly required.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 07:13:44 PM »
^^^^and as Tallpine said, gravity is free.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 07:20:12 PM »
^^^^and as Tallpine said, gravity is free.

A wise man.

Due process is dead,  this is more judicial tyranny.

But,  as Ms Wolfe has said,  it's too soon to start shooting the bastards.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 12:58:38 PM »
Judges are supposed to apply & interpret laws - exactly which Federal law explicitly prohibits citizenship questions on the census forms?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 01:48:12 PM »
I don't think putting a citizenship question on the census is a good idea.  I worked for the census in 2010 when I was between jobs.  Considering the community where I canvassed I undoubtedly spoke to illegal aliens, or at least households where illegals were living, even if the person at the door was not.  On more than one occasion, I made it a point to mention that there were no questions about citizenship status on the census.  As a low paid census taker I was not about to jeopardize my safety.  Census takers are not ICE.  And many illegals may very well be desperate enough to do something stupid.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 02:22:29 PM »
I don't think putting a citizenship question on the census is a good idea.  I worked for the census in 2010 when I was between jobs.  Considering the community where I canvassed I undoubtedly spoke to illegal aliens, or at least households where illegals were living, even if the person at the door was not.  On more than one occasion, I made it a point to mention that there were no questions about citizenship status on the census.  As a low paid census taker I was not about to jeopardize my safety.  Census takers are not ICE.  And many illegals may very well be desperate enough to do something stupid.

To me, the fact that a census taker might have to worry about violence from illegals because of a question on the census is proof positive that we have a massive problem with illegal aliens, and the government needs to start deporting a lot of people very rapidly. The fact that the presence of the question proves the existence of a problem is not, IMHO, an indication that the question is not a good idea.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 02:32:07 PM »
I don't have a problem with illegals not getting counted on the census.  Cities and states that give sanctuary should not be rewarded with more Congressional representatives and electoral college votes.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 02:40:40 PM »
I worked on the 2000 census.  I have no problem asking about citizenship. 
The only thing close to a problem I had was approaching a house with a barking dog.  The owner came around from the backyard and said I was lucky his dog hadn't torn me apart.    ???    The dog was loud .... but he never charged or acted aggressive.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 02:58:32 PM »

"Including the citizenship question on the 2020 Census is fundamentally counterproductive to the goal of obtaining accurate citizenship data about the public.”

WTF?

Yeah, that.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 10:31:08 AM »

Then we are submitting to an illegal population and allowing them representation in our government.

Is there anything to stop them from lying?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.